How do you view the money you spend on wine

How do you view the money you spend on wine

• Do you only spend surplus money after all bills, savings, college funds, 401K’s, savings etc have been fully funded
  • Do you incorporate wine spending into your overall yearly budget in addition to bills, savings, college funds, 401K’s, savings etc,
  • Do you just buy what you want then worry about the budget later ?
  • Do you have a fixed wine budget every year ?
  • Be honest do you over extend your finances occasionally for wine
  • Do you over spend on wine to a point of hurting other financial strategies like college etc
  • Are you just so rich that you dont even think about the money

0 voters

Just curious, just read a post about someone lowering wine spend because of increasing household debt, got me thinking about it. Not really about how much you spend but where the money comes from.

I know there are many possible answers, tried to incorporate some at least

I used to be an audiophile and spent a lot on audio equipment and music, less on wine.

I haven’t bought new audio equipment in a while and there isn’t much new music coming out that interests me so I’ve transferred my hobby to wine.

In comparison I’m spending probably the same annually :slight_smile:

I spend only money that is free and clear of any obligation.

We keep our monthly CC overrun at zero, so I budget month to month.

It’s spent, gone, not there. I can’t see money that isn’t there.

Seriously, I picked choice #1. Bills, savings, etc are all necessities and wine comes after that. We don’t really budget specifically for wine but when the wine spend is high we cut back on other non-necessities. My buying days are pretty much behind me and with more time since retiring the disposable income is flowing more to travel and entertainment.

Side note: I build the wine into my free spending, and then forget about it.

Then, when the wine is delivered or when I hit the cellar, I say, “Hey! Look! Free wine!” [cheers.gif]

part of our monthly medicinal expense budget

Every penny spent on wine is excess over all other real and potential obligations. All savings, bills, planned major expenses (e.g. car replacement) are covered with cash before one bottle of wine. It’s the only reason I can go as bonkers as I do with a reasonably clear conscience.

[winner.gif]

Gone daddy gone

#3 is the closest to how it actually goes, but I’ve never put 401k, kids education, the mortgage and other necessities at risk.

The future is important, but it’s not the only thing. I want to live and enjoy my time now too.

This question does prompt me to retell a joke I’ve posted on here a few times, for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Civilian: How many bottles of wine do you buy per year?

Wine Geek: Usually about 250

Civilian: How much do you pay per bottle on average?

Wine Geek: About $40

Civilian: And how long have you been collecting wine?

Wine Geek: About 20 years, I suppose.

Civilian: So a bottle costs $40 and you buy 250 bottles a year, which puts your spending per year at approximately $10,000. Correct?

Wine Geek: Correct

Civilian: If in one year you spend $10,000, not accounting for inflation, the past 20 years puts your spending at $200,000, correct?

Wine Geek: Correct

Civilian: Do you know that if you didn’t buy so much wine and such expensive wine, that money could have been put in a step-up interest savings account and after accounting for compound interest for the past 20 years, you could have now bought a new Ferrari?

Wine Geek: Do you drink wine?

Civilian: No

Wine Geek: Where’s your Ferrari?

I use credit cards for all my wine purchases, therefore the wine costs no money.

No debts (never had any, and, hopefully, never will). 3 children: 2 done with college, 1 in his sophomore year (there’s masters degrees/law school if they choose though - so I’m not totally off the proverbial hook - but I encourage them to take masters after 2-3 years of work experience. Law school is a different matter - that I’d rather be taken right after college). Wife has her own money. Our deal is mine goes to supporting the family; hers the kids will wind up with. That’s always been the plan, anyway.

That said, I try to spend reasonably when it comes to wine & eating out - which are my biggest personal expenses. It’s gotten easier doing that given my age (turning 54) & hereditary hypertension.

In other words, #1 would be the closest answer.

If you spend money on what you enjoy and value, its always money well spent.

I also collect handbags. Compared to that buying wine is almost always a bargain [cheers.gif]

Whatever happened to Jefferson’s “wine is a necessity of life for me”? [From a man who died indebted living his high life and a cellar full of wine (and slaves)] Compared to him, we’re all pikers.

[cheers.gif]

I love you, man! [cheers.gif]

+1

This is my life [cheers.gif]

I blow my retirement money on wine. There are no guarantees in life.