Cayuse Weekend

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Leslie D Matheson
Posts: 13
Joined: October 1st, 2014, 2:42 pm

Cayuse Weekend

#1 Post by Leslie D Matheson » March 15th, 2019, 10:41 am

I got my first invite to the Cayuse Weekend in Walla Walla (7 years on the waiting list). Can't wait. Any suggestions for other wines to taste or places to eat?

Leslie

User avatar
Bryan Carr
Posts: 417
Joined: December 28th, 2015, 10:56 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#2 Post by Bryan Carr » March 15th, 2019, 12:59 pm

For food, Saffron is a can't miss, though I would recommend making reservations early for that weekend.

I'm pretty sure Reynvaan does their release that weekend as well, they were pretty lax about entry last time so it might be worth your time to pop over to see if you can get in and taste. Similar in style to Cayuse as their winemaker trained under Christophe, not the most popular opinion but I actually prefer them to Cayuse in my limited experience.
CT: the_lovenest

User avatar
Leslie D Matheson
Posts: 13
Joined: October 1st, 2014, 2:42 pm

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#3 Post by Leslie D Matheson » March 15th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Thank you Bryan, I didn't know their winemaker trained with Christophe. I'll stop by there for sure! Just waiting for Saffron to open to call for reservations!

User avatar
Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 530
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:19 am
Location: Southeast US

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#4 Post by Leonard Taylor » March 15th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Go to Sleight of Hand especially if Andreas Food Truck is there for some voodoo fries.
Leonard Taylor

User avatar
Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 530
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:19 am
Location: Southeast US

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#5 Post by Leonard Taylor » March 15th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Also TMACS for dinner
Leonard Taylor

terrance.c
Posts: 119
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 6:08 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#6 Post by terrance.c » March 15th, 2019, 3:13 pm

I echo what the others have said and add that there are some really nice places that are generally appointment only, but open up for walk-ins that weekend. Rasa is one of them that I believe does it.
-Terrance Creighton

User avatar
Leslie D Matheson
Posts: 13
Joined: October 1st, 2014, 2:42 pm

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#7 Post by Leslie D Matheson » March 15th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Thanks Leonard and Terrance! I got a reservation at Saffron. Will try TMACS for Friday night. And checked Rasa and they are open. Also going to Figgins and Reynvaan.

User avatar
John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 859
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Portland OR

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#8 Post by John Osburn » March 15th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Gramercy Cellars and Rotie Cellars are quite good. Whitehouse Crawford is another good restaurant.

User avatar
Matt A u s t i n
Posts: 140
Joined: February 17th, 2010, 4:14 pm
Location: Walla Walla, WA

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#9 Post by Matt A u s t i n » March 15th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Hattaways recently opened in Saffron’s old space and I have become a big fan (Saffron is, of course, great as well). Walla Walla Steak Co. is also brand new and has worked out some early kinks. Crossbuck Brewing next door to the Steak Co. is great for a more casual meal and has the best beer list in town. Passatempo’s bar is a favorite as well. You can reliably spot your favorite winemakers at the Brasserie. Bacon and Eggs is the place to go for breakfast/brunch (don’t miss the sparkling wine fridge!).

I won’t be unleashing my pet-nats and other curiosities until May when our tasting room opens, but if anyone is out later in the season I’d be happy to roll out the Berserker red carpet.
Owner/Winemaker - Grosgrain Vineyards, Walla Walla, WA - grosgrainvineyards.com

Mark Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 89
Joined: October 25th, 2010, 7:15 pm
Location: san francisco

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#10 Post by Mark Stevens » March 15th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Looking forward to dining at Hattaway’s on Alder this Cayuse weekend. The Waters event with Walla Walla Steak should be pretty great too.

S t e p h e nK
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 52
Joined: September 19th, 2014, 8:52 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#11 Post by S t e p h e nK » March 15th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Leslie D Matheson wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:41 am
I got my first invite to the Cayuse Weekend in Walla Walla (7 years on the waiting list). Can't wait. Any suggestions for other wines to taste or places to eat?

Leslie
Second Brasserie. I still think about that bouillabaisse. Saffron was really good but wasn’t for everyone at our table. Try to get an apt at Figgins. Also Woodward Canyon has excellent wine top to bottom.
Stephen Krug

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 502
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#12 Post by dsimmons » March 16th, 2019, 11:53 am

Leslie,

Walla Walla is a really fun place to taste and there are many up and coming wineries to explore.

First of all a word of warning... the Cayuse tasting will be elbow to elbow. I've only gone once and the wines and food were wonderful but the crowd was a bit overwhelming.

I have not been there for a few years but have a few wineries to suggest that I did not see mentioned.

Downtown we enjoyed Mark Ryan. On the Westside L'ecole No. 41 and Long Shadows are well worth a visit. Another fun thing is to visit the Airport "incubator" and try some of the new producers. We found some really good new producers there and it was fun talking to the owners and/or winemakers.

Have fun!
D o n

User avatar
Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 530
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:19 am
Location: Southeast US

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#13 Post by Leonard Taylor » March 16th, 2019, 12:19 pm

dsimmons wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 11:53 am

First of all a word of warning... the Cayuse tasting will be elbow to elbow. I've only gone once and the wines and food were wonderful but the crowd was a bit overwhelming.
It’s not that bad if you go on Friday when they open.
Leonard Taylor

User avatar
John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1210
Joined: January 14th, 2010, 9:54 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#14 Post by John Glas » March 16th, 2019, 1:24 pm

In MN we have nothing like this. Jealous. Love Cayuse wines.
www.twincitieswinetasting.com

Travis @llen
Posts: 100
Joined: June 29th, 2017, 9:49 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#15 Post by Travis @llen » March 16th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Christophe puts on a great tasting/party. You'll have a blast. I don't go to Walla Walla without having smoked brisket hash for breakfast at Andrae's kitchen in the convenient store a few blocks south of town. La Monarcha taco truck is good. I had an excellent meal at Brasserie last time I was there as well. I have found some gems at the Thief wine shop as well. FX Pichler Unendlich, Planetes de Nin amphora Grenache, Keller, and even a bottle of Cantillon on the shelf! Worth stopping by. I'll be at Cayuse on Saturday afternoon.
ITB

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 457
Joined: May 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#16 Post by Ron Slye » March 16th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Leonard Taylor wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 12:19 pm
dsimmons wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 11:53 am

First of all a word of warning... the Cayuse tasting will be elbow to elbow. I've only gone once and the wines and food were wonderful but the crowd was a bit overwhelming.
It’s not that bad if you go on Friday when they open.
Yes -- Friday tends to be less crowded than Saturday. But I don't think I have ever found so crowded that it was difficult to move around.

There are lots of wineries in the area of course, so it depends on what you like. Reynvaan is probably the closest in style to Cayuse, but there are many producers that are making wine from "the Rocks." Gramercy is really good; we also like Rotie. Garrison Creek is in the middle of a vineyard -- you need to call to make an appointment but in the past we have called the same day and got in easily. The wines are very good, but the setting is quite beautiful. Lots of other good recommendations here. I second also going to the airport area. Definitely hit and miss -- but there are some real gems to be found out there. Lastly, the Walla Walla Community College tasting room is fun -- wines made by the students. Sometimes they are top notch, and they are very reasonably priced. It is also near Figgins if you want to go there as well. Enjoy, and don't stress out about hitting every winery we recommend!

Jesse Tofte
Posts: 20
Joined: January 17th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#17 Post by Jesse Tofte » March 16th, 2019, 4:59 pm

The wines have been mentioned a couple of times but I'll add that Rotie has their crawfish boil the same night as the Cayuse party (Cayuse is in the morning so you can hit both) and it's a truly fantastic party with live music and a really fun vibe.

User avatar
Leslie D Matheson
Posts: 13
Joined: October 1st, 2014, 2:42 pm

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#18 Post by Leslie D Matheson » March 18th, 2019, 3:00 pm

John Osburn wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Gramercy Cellars and Rotie Cellars are quite good. Whitehouse Crawford is another good restaurant.
Thanks!

User avatar
Leslie D Matheson
Posts: 13
Joined: October 1st, 2014, 2:42 pm

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#19 Post by Leslie D Matheson » March 18th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Ron Slye wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 2:48 pm
Leonard Taylor wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 12:19 pm
dsimmons wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 11:53 am

First of all a word of warning... the Cayuse tasting will be elbow to elbow. I've only gone once and the wines and food were wonderful but the crowd was a bit overwhelming.
It’s not that bad if you go on Friday when they open.
Yes -- Friday tends to be less crowded than Saturday. But I don't think I have ever found so crowded that it was difficult to move around.

There are lots of wineries in the area of course, so it depends on what you like. Reynvaan is probably the closest in style to Cayuse, but there are many producers that are making wine from "the Rocks." Gramercy is really good; we also like Rotie. Garrison Creek is in the middle of a vineyard -- you need to call to make an appointment but in the past we have called the same day and got in easily. The wines are very good, but the setting is quite beautiful. Lots of other good recommendations here. I second also going to the airport area. Definitely hit and miss -- but there are some real gems to be found out there. Lastly, the Walla Walla Community College tasting room is fun -- wines made by the students. Sometimes they are top notch, and they are very reasonably priced. It is also near Figgins if you want to go there as well. Enjoy, and don't stress out about hitting every winery we recommend!
Thanks so much Ron!!

User avatar
Leslie D Matheson
Posts: 13
Joined: October 1st, 2014, 2:42 pm

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#20 Post by Leslie D Matheson » March 18th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Jesse Tofte wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 4:59 pm
The wines have been mentioned a couple of times but I'll add that Rotie has their crawfish boil the same night as the Cayuse party (Cayuse is in the morning so you can hit both) and it's a truly fantastic party with live music and a really fun vibe.
Thank you for that Jesse, I checked online and they are only inviting club members unfortunately. Sounds great though!

User avatar
Leslie D Matheson
Posts: 13
Joined: October 1st, 2014, 2:42 pm

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#21 Post by Leslie D Matheson » March 18th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Matt A u s t i n wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 5:27 pm
Hattaways recently opened in Saffron’s old space and I have become a big fan (Saffron is, of course, great as well). Walla Walla Steak Co. is also brand new and has worked out some early kinks. Crossbuck Brewing next door to the Steak Co. is great for a more casual meal and has the best beer list in town. Passatempo’s bar is a favorite as well. You can reliably spot your favorite winemakers at the Brasserie. Bacon and Eggs is the place to go for breakfast/brunch (don’t miss the sparkling wine fridge!).

I won’t be unleashing my pet-nats and other curiosities until May when our tasting room opens, but if anyone is out later in the season I’d be happy to roll out the Berserker red carpet.
Thanks so much Matt!

User avatar
Leslie D Matheson
Posts: 13
Joined: October 1st, 2014, 2:42 pm

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#22 Post by Leslie D Matheson » March 18th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Travis @llen wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Christophe puts on a great tasting/party. You'll have a blast. I don't go to Walla Walla without having smoked brisket hash for breakfast at Andrae's kitchen in the convenient store a few blocks south of town. La Monarcha taco truck is good. I had an excellent meal at Brasserie last time I was there as well. I have found some gems at the Thief wine shop as well. FX Pichler Unendlich, Planetes de Nin amphora Grenache, Keller, and even a bottle of Cantillon on the shelf! Worth stopping by. I'll be at Cayuse on Saturday afternoon.
Thanks so much Travis. I think I have eaten at that convenience store before but it was Mexican and for lunch

User avatar
Leslie D Matheson
Posts: 13
Joined: October 1st, 2014, 2:42 pm

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#23 Post by Leslie D Matheson » March 18th, 2019, 3:14 pm

John Osburn wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Gramercy Cellars and Rotie Cellars are quite good. Whitehouse Crawford is another good restaurant.
Thanks John, I've eaten at Whitehouse before and it was delicious!

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1103
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#24 Post by Mike Maguire » March 18th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Leonard Taylor wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 2:58 pm
Go to Sleight of Hand especially if Andreas Food Truck is there for some voodoo fries.
Big +1

User avatar
Leslie D Matheson
Posts: 13
Joined: October 1st, 2014, 2:42 pm

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#25 Post by Leslie D Matheson » March 18th, 2019, 3:18 pm

dsimmons wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 11:53 am
Leslie,

Walla Walla is a really fun place to taste and there are many up and coming wineries to explore.

First of all a word of warning... the Cayuse tasting will be elbow to elbow. I've only gone once and the wines and food were wonderful but the crowd was a bit overwhelming.

I have not been there for a few years but have a few wineries to suggest that I did not see mentioned.

Downtown we enjoyed Mark Ryan. On the Westside L'ecole No. 41 and Long Shadows are well worth a visit. Another fun thing is to visit the Airport "incubator" and try some of the new producers. We found some really good new producers there and it was fun talking to the owners and/or winemakers.

Have fun!
Thanks so much for the information! I love the incubator area but it has been many years. Will definitely head out there this time! And try to hit Long Shadows too! I had one of their Rieslings once that was outstanding.

User avatar
TR Barry
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 226
Joined: September 15th, 2010, 9:09 am
Location: Seattle / Portland

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#26 Post by TR Barry » March 19th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Great list of wineries and restaurants to choose from above. We'll be making the annual pilgrimage and hitting Cayuse on Friday. Outside of the great options already listed I'm excited to check out Elephant Seven and Ardor Cellars.

Matt Austin- in case I'm not back east this season will you have any west-side distribution of the pet-nats and other curiosities?
Todd- Lost In The White Room

John Peacock
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 425
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:08 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#27 Post by John Peacock » March 19th, 2019, 1:54 pm

TR Barry wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 1:10 pm
Great list of wineries and restaurants to choose from above. We'll be making the annual pilgrimage and hitting Cayuse on Friday. Outside of the great options already listed I'm excited to check out Elephant Seven and Ardor Cellars.

Matt Austin- in case I'm not back east this season will you have any west-side distribution of the pet-nats and other curiosities?
Unfortunately, Ardor Cellars is no longer in business (at least for now). The owner also owns a wine barrel business, and decided to focus on that instead of the winery. Elephant Seven was one of the great new finds during our last trip out in November.
ITB - Ocelli Cellars

User avatar
Brandon R
Posts: 933
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#28 Post by Brandon R » March 19th, 2019, 3:56 pm

TR Barry wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 1:10 pm
Great list of wineries and restaurants to choose from above. We'll be making the annual pilgrimage and hitting Cayuse on Friday. Outside of the great options already listed I'm excited to check out Elephant Seven and Ardor Cellars.

Matt Austin- in case I'm not back east this season will you have any west-side distribution of the pet-nats and other curiosities?
I'm really glad to see someone planning on going to Elephant Seven. We went to WW late last year and this was easily our favorite tasting. The wines stand on their own, but prices knock them up even more. It was a cool space and a very relaxed vibe. Please post your impressions.

There was an Italian Deli (Cugini Italian Imports and Deli...960 Wallula Avenue, Walla Walla, WA 99362) situated a few miles west of downtown. We bought some cheese but, since it was 3:00, didn't eat anything. Boy, that was a mistake I bet because everything sure looked and smelled good! When we go back, that'll be a lunch spot for sure.
B. Redman

User avatar
Matt A u s t i n
Posts: 140
Joined: February 17th, 2010, 4:14 pm
Location: Walla Walla, WA

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#29 Post by Matt A u s t i n » March 19th, 2019, 4:39 pm

TR Barry wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 1:10 pm
Great list of wineries and restaurants to choose from above. We'll be making the annual pilgrimage and hitting Cayuse on Friday. Outside of the great options already listed I'm excited to check out Elephant Seven and Ardor Cellars.

Matt Austin- in case I'm not back east this season will you have any west-side distribution of the pet-nats and other curiosities?
We will debut the wines at Taste Washington in Seattle at the end of the month. No distribution yet on the West-side or otherwise, but I'll be starting to make some trips out there soon to try to get our wine in some shops and restaurants in the area. Our full website will launch soon as well, with an online store and other details on how to find our wines. For now, I'm posting updates on our Facebook and Instagram.

Also +1 on Elephant Seven!
Owner/Winemaker - Grosgrain Vineyards, Walla Walla, WA - grosgrainvineyards.com

Mark Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 89
Joined: October 25th, 2010, 7:15 pm
Location: san francisco

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#30 Post by Mark Stevens » March 19th, 2019, 7:04 pm

[/quote] There was an Italian Deli (Cugini Italian Imports and Deli...960 Wallula Avenue, Walla Walla, WA 99362) situated a few miles west of downtown. We bought some cheese but, since it was 3:00, didn't eat anything. Boy, that was a mistake I bet because everything sure looked and smelled good! When we go back, that'll be a lunch spot for sure.
[/quote]

I Cucina is a mandatory stop for us. Such a great, authentic family-run place with fantastic food at reasonable tariffs. And the owner is such a gracious, gregarious gal- it feels like her home there. You can bring your own wines too- I suggest that your stems accompany you, though. Enjoy!

We are too looking forward to checking out Elephant Seven this year!

User avatar
John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 859
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Portland OR

Re: Cayuse Weekend

#31 Post by John Osburn » March 20th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Leslie D Matheson wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 3:18 pm
dsimmons wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 11:53 am
Leslie,

Walla Walla is a really fun place to taste and there are many up and coming wineries to explore.

First of all a word of warning... the Cayuse tasting will be elbow to elbow. I've only gone once and the wines and food were wonderful but the crowd was a bit overwhelming.

I have not been there for a few years but have a few wineries to suggest that I did not see mentioned.

Downtown we enjoyed Mark Ryan. On the Westside L'ecole No. 41 and Long Shadows are well worth a visit. Another fun thing is to visit the Airport "incubator" and try some of the new producers. We found some really good new producers there and it was fun talking to the owners and/or winemakers.

Have fun!
Thanks so much for the information! I love the incubator area but it has been many years. Will definitely head out there this time! And try to hit Long Shadows too! I had one of their Rieslings once that was outstanding.
If you're there near lunch, hit the taco truck connected to Quirk Brewing. Unusual and outstanding.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”