2 Reds w/ Argentina Steaks.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
LMD Ermitaño
Posts: 3285
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 5:14 am
Location: Philippines

2 Reds w/ Argentina Steaks.

#1 Post by LMD Ermitaño » March 15th, 2019, 6:01 am

Around a month ago, I had dinner with 3 buddies at the (then only) Philippine branch of Argentina’s La Cabrera group of restaurants.
5120C241-ED93-4FD8-98D0-D642DB01D8DB.jpeg
After sharing Alex’s bottle of still tightly-wound; but bright and brisk Krug 164 Ed., we moved to the reds for the steaks.
2BB4BC63-0B03-4392-9CC5-44AD7F114018.jpeg
Argentine Rib-Eye (Ojo de Bif)
D422FE0F-76F5-4DFC-BB45-06D45C208E4B.jpeg
Cuadril
D82EB258-C8AF-47CA-8A7C-CE4F62211351.jpeg
Skirt Steak
F0CEE452-2D6C-41F0-9137-FCB617C8982B.jpeg
All properly medium-rare, naturalmente.
DD260AEB-4311-43A8-9FAE-2C54E0D12109.jpeg
2007 Sassicaia - Aaron’s bottle, decanted for aeration for about 1-1/2 hours. Rich, deep, big, very ripe & concentrated, virtually chewy, yet notably smooth. Probably the most “modern/international”, stylish version of Sassicaia I’ve ever had. I prefer my Italian reds with more acid lift; but, that said, it did stand up to the steaks admirably. Drinking very young for a Sassicaia.

2001 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle - My bottle, decanted for aeration for around an hour. Comparatively more reserved and proper. Good structure, balance & harmony. Earthy, bit of dried herbs, more savory and notably lighter in body, with better balancing acid lift than the above-mentioned Sassicaia. Decent length. This was the 3rd bottle of it I’ve opened/enjoyed since this past December. At its reasonable price, I’d be extremely hard pressed to think of a better locally available Hermitage.
E8A38CC3-E7F3-4845-AEAD-70F7A9229E23.jpeg
Cheers!!!
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

User avatar
T@ntina A
Posts: 48
Joined: March 10th, 2019, 1:36 pm
Location: Durham, NC

Re: 2 Reds w/ Argentina Steaks.

#2 Post by T@ntina A » March 15th, 2019, 6:52 am

+1 going to see if I can find the the Hermitage that sounds great!

User avatar
jfont
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 303
Joined: May 18th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Re: 2 Reds w/ Argentina Steaks.

#3 Post by jfont » March 15th, 2019, 8:25 am

Nice!

Looking forward to more posts and reviews from you Noel...
:)
Cheers! Jesus Fontamillas

User avatar
LMD Ermitaño
Posts: 3285
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 5:14 am
Location: Philippines

Re: 2 Reds w/ Argentina Steaks.

#4 Post by LMD Ermitaño » March 15th, 2019, 9:07 am

T@ntina A wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 6:52 am
+1 going to see if I can find the the Hermitage that sounds great!
You should be able to find it relatively easily in the US. One can find practically anything there.

Best,

N
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

User avatar
LMD Ermitaño
Posts: 3285
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 5:14 am
Location: Philippines

Re: 2 Reds w/ Argentina Steaks.

#5 Post by LMD Ermitaño » March 15th, 2019, 9:10 am

jfont wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 8:25 am
Nice!

Looking forward to more posts and reviews from you Noel...:)
Gracias, Jesús. As I’m still taking it easy at home getting over a mild flu, I should be able to post a couple or few more over the weekend. Hopefully, I’ll be ok for dinner out with the family tomorrow.

Best,

N
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Gerhard P.
Posts: 4581
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: 2 Reds w/ Argentina Steaks.

#6 Post by Gerhard P. » March 16th, 2019, 1:27 am

The 2001 is a very good but not great La Chapelle, definitely better than 1998/99/2000. They introduced the 2nd wine "Petite Chapelle" in 2001 and therefore made a stricter selection which paid imho. Not dissimilar to the 1994 at that age ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

User avatar
LMD Ermitaño
Posts: 3285
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 5:14 am
Location: Philippines

Re: 2 Reds w/ Argentina Steaks.

#7 Post by LMD Ermitaño » March 16th, 2019, 1:51 am

Gerhard P. wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 1:27 am
The 2001 is a very good but not great La Chapelle, definitely better than 1998/99/2000. They introduced the 2nd wine "Petite Chapelle" in 2001 and therefore made a stricter selection which paid imho. Not dissimilar to the 1994 at that age ...
Yes, thanks, of these I am aware. For a casual night out for steaks with some friends, at its price (around $130/bottle more or less in the US; but, in Manila, I pay around $200/bottle), I find it a good deal. I've had other La Chapelle vintages that I favour more (e.g., '90, '91); but I'm happy enough with the 2001.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Gerhard P.
Posts: 4581
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: 2 Reds w/ Argentina Steaks.

#8 Post by Gerhard P. » March 16th, 2019, 5:56 am

LMD Ermitaño wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 1:51 am
Gerhard P. wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 1:27 am
The 2001 is a very good but not great La Chapelle, definitely better than 1998/99/2000. They introduced the 2nd wine "Petite Chapelle" in 2001 and therefore made a stricter selection which paid imho. Not dissimilar to the 1994 at that age ...
Yes, thanks, of these I am aware. For a casual night out for steaks with some friends, at its price (around $130/bottle more or less in the US; but, in Manila, I pay around $200/bottle), I find it a good deal. I've had other La Chapelle vintages that I favour more (e.g., '90, '91); but I'm happy enough with the 2001.
Yes, the 1991 is fine and fully mature now ... and no need to talk about 1990 ...
I also don´t regret to have the 2001 in my cellar ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Steve Brickley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1127
Joined: April 16th, 2011, 9:31 am
Location: SF Bay Area and Nice France

Re: 2 Reds w/ Argentina Steaks.

#9 Post by Steve Brickley » March 17th, 2019, 10:45 pm

I have had beef from Argentina and it was so tender and tasty.
Steve

User avatar
LMD Ermitaño
Posts: 3285
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 5:14 am
Location: Philippines

Re: 2 Reds w/ Argentina Steaks.

#10 Post by LMD Ermitaño » March 17th, 2019, 11:47 pm

Steve Brickley wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 10:45 pm
I have had beef from Argentina and it was so tender and tasty.
Yes, the times I’ve had it, it was always notably “beefy” and not as greasy as comparatively fatty steaks. The ones at La Cabrera are particularly tender and juicy. Cooking style is minimalist, allowing the meat to pretty much stand alone. Very nice indeed.

Best,

N
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”