WineBid Updated Terms and Conditions Sale tax for everyone!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

WineBid Updated Terms and Conditions Sale tax for everyone!

#1 Post by mike pobega » March 14th, 2019, 5:31 pm

To our valued customers:
As many of you know, the U.S. Supreme Court has been actively involved in issues impacting our business. Specifically, the Wayfair case last year enabled states to legislate new tax collection procedures for sales completed over the internet, and the pending Tennessee versus Blair case will determine whether we, as retailers, will have the same rights to direct shipment permits as wine producers.
Due to this, we are updating our Terms and Conditions in order to protect you and ourselves from potential liability.
California sales tax will be applied to all orders with a delivery destination in the U.S., except for those states for which WineBid has a direct shipper permit (OR, NH, LA, WY, NV). For these Permit states, applicable sales or use tax will be charged based on the requirements of the destination state.
We will keep you informed of any change in the law as it pertains to your specific state. We encourage you to contact your legislators or go to Wine Freedom, if desired, to voice your opinion about your local state shipping and tax regime.
These Terms will go into effect for all existing users on March 31, 2019 at the start of the new auction at 7:10pm PT.
When you use WineBid on or after that day, your continued use of the WineBid platform from that day on will be subject to the new Terms and Conditions.
You can review the new Terms and Conditions by clicking here.
Thank you for being a valued member of our WineBid community.
Best Regards,
The WineBid Team

I just called for my last 15 purchases to be delivered and I think I will shelf WineBid altogether. [cheers.gif]

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: WineBid Updated Terms and Conditions Sale tax for everyone!

#2 Post by Anton D » March 14th, 2019, 5:34 pm

I hope they get it together and charge proper sales tax for whichever state the wine is either sold from or sent to.
Anton Dotson

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Frank Murray III » March 14th, 2019, 5:44 pm

I stopped buying from these guys a year ago. While I found some things I liked in past years, in my view, the hidden gems are now mostly gone (like Pignan for $110 a bottle, as an example) and I am just so stocked with still wine, I don't really have a need for the wines they offer.
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Eloquence Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Brian Thorne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Brian Thorne » March 14th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Zachy’s recently started doing a similar thing with state sales tax. That extra 8% is a killer

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Michael Martin » March 14th, 2019, 6:15 pm

They still provide the best chance to hunt down aged wines that I like. Tax is secondary.

David_K

#6 Post by David_K » March 14th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Does the tax apply to wines already purchased and being held for shipment, or only to wines *purchased* after 3/31? It would seem odd to retroactively charge tax for my wins that I have already paid for, but it's not completely clear.
K@ntrОwi╦z

T. Williams

#7 Post by T. Williams » March 14th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 5:44 pm
I stopped buying from these guys a year ago. While I found some things I liked in past years, in my view, the hidden gems are now mostly gone (like Pignan for $110 a bottle, as an example) and I am just so stocked with still wine, I don't really have a need for the wines they offer.
I find this to be a truth in my life as well. I haven’t bought anything since 3/4/18. I still search on a weekly basis for hidden gems, but when you add in the auction premium and shipping it is hard to find anything that resembles a deal by Sunday night.
Tim W.
Eat.Drink.Play.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Nate Simon » March 14th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Y’all complain about the 8% CA tax, but not the 19% WineBid tax?

Denny Marin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Denny Marin » March 14th, 2019, 7:15 pm

I believe the buyer's commission is 17%.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by John Glas » March 14th, 2019, 7:22 pm

[quoteI believe the buyer's commission is 17%.][/quote] Good deal for them not us. Never bought a bottle of wine from a place that charges me additional 17% on my purchase. MN is bad enough at 10% tax but at least that goes to paving roads, new bridges and education.
www.twincitieswinetasting.com

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Michael Martin » March 14th, 2019, 7:31 pm

John Glas wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 7:22 pm
[quoteI believe the buyer's commission is 17%.]
Good deal for them not us. Never bought a bottle of wine from a place that charges me additional 17% on my purchase. MN is bad enough at 10% tax but at least that goes to paving roads, new bridges and education.
[/quote]

Cuz Winebid’s profit only goes towards paying wages and stuff.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » March 14th, 2019, 7:42 pm

OR immune.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Anton D » March 14th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 7:31 pm
John Glas wrote:
Good deal for them not us. Never bought a bottle of wine from a place that charges me additional 17% on my purchase. MN is bad enough at 10% tax but at least that goes to paving roads, new bridges and education.
[/quote]

Paying ‘wages and stuff’ is from the profits?
Anton Dotson

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by JDavisRoby » March 14th, 2019, 8:32 pm

Isn’t there a sellers premium as well?

Currently if I set my ship address to Oklahoma they don’t charge me tax. But, if I set my ship address to my offsite in WA they charge me sales tax on the whole purchase. So all shipments come to Oklahoma.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Michael Martin » March 14th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Anton D wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 8:29 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 7:31 pm
John Glas wrote:
Paying ‘wages and stuff’ is from the profits?
[/quote]
[smileyvault-ban.gif] ok margin. Parse it however you want. What they earn goes towards paying people.

Marc Hauser

#16 Post by Marc Hauser » March 14th, 2019, 9:06 pm

So people are angry that WineBid is trying to not break the law?
ITB-ish (unfrozen caveman wine and cannabis lawyer)

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Tom Reddick » March 14th, 2019, 9:12 pm

Marc Hauser wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 9:06 pm
+1.

This is the new normal. Might be more constructive for people to be grateful for getting a break in the past versus considering themselves as being screwed in the future. The existing sales tax laws in this country never contemplated the sheer scale of interstate business that could be created with something like the internet. And now that temporary advantage is eroding.

While I certainly would prefer to not pay more for my merchandise, I am hard pressed to come up with a good reason why a customer out of state should escape sales tax in both the source and destination state while a customer in state has to pay.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Alan Rath » March 14th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Not a change for us CA residents, we’ve always paid sales tax of course. Not sure I get the objections, taxes are there to support the government you’ve voted for (he says with a sly grin but no political intent).

Most importantly, in any auction it’s easy enough to add up all the fees and taxes and decide at what point a bottle’s value to you exceeds its auction price.

Andy Steinman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Andy Steinman » March 14th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 7:42 pm
OR immune.
While our State Income Tax is painfully high, the lack of Sales Tax can be nice!
ITB: Partner, Walter Scott Wines, Le Pigeon, Little Bird Bistro, Canard, and DigitalPour; Managing Director Metis NW

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 14th, 2019, 10:13 pm

I recently stopped buying from WineBid when they decided in December to charge me for storage until I could ship my wines in April.

I had 2 bottles, and they charged me 50 cents per bottle, so we are talking principle. The fact that the organization is
so incredibly dumb that they think shipping in December is viable (and they kept suggesting it) tells me they should not be dealing with fine wine.

As for the tax, it has been an anomaly for a long time. Sorry to see it go, but it evens the playing field for everyone.
ITB

Robert Grenley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Robert Grenley » March 14th, 2019, 10:23 pm

I stopped buying when the buyer’s premium went to 17%, and when added to the WA state sales tax of over 10% and the shipping cost, made the sales price less attractive.
But I am confused.
Does this change mean that the sales tax is being charged in CA, and will no longer be charged in the state it is being shipped to, or is it being added to the tax in the destination state?
I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff.
-Bob Dylan

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Cris Whetstone » March 14th, 2019, 10:52 pm

Did people also stop buying from Amazon when they stopped the music for the tax free sales? Seems odd to get upset with WineBid over this.

Anyone not paying taxes on sales they normally would should have known they were getting away with something. Not that it was something they got because of principles.

They are plenty of beefs to have with WineBid as listed in this thread. Finally having to pay taxes seems like a petty complaint at this point.

I find some stuff on there that is within the ranges of things I'm looking for. It's getting increasingly difficult to get them at good prices though. That's not just a WineBid problem though. Lots of under the radar classics are now going for large percentages more than they were 5-10 years ago.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by mike pobega » March 15th, 2019, 2:26 am

Selling previously owned and previously tariffed wine is a niche business and the wines should be tax exempt in every state. I get the 'tax us to death' thing, hell I live in NYC but I think this is a bit much and I did not know CA always paid tax. Cheerios.

Victor Hong

#24 Post by Victor Hong » March 15th, 2019, 2:39 am

When people happily pay hundreds of dollars for old, fermented grape juice, but complain about a valid but small tax on that, they have a truly First-World problem.
WineHunter.

Zachary Ross

#25 Post by Zachary Ross » March 15th, 2019, 3:24 am

mike pobega wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 2:26 am
Selling previously owned and previously tariffed wine is a niche business and the wines should be tax exempt in every state. I get the 'tax us to death' thing, hell I live in NYC but I think this is a bit much and I did not know CA always paid tax. Cheerios.

It is niche businesses that shouldn't be taxed? Or just previously owned and tariffed goods? You know, like real estate, used cars, fine art, etc.?
Iroulégeek.

Mike Van1
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Mike Van1 » March 15th, 2019, 4:48 am

In my case, residents of Nebraska are required to pay Nebraska sales tax on all internet purchases. If an internet seller does not collect and pay to Nebraska this sales tax, I am required to claim and pay it via my Nebraska tax return. Places like Amazon collect the appropriate Nebraska sales tax. According to Winebid’s new policy, they will be collecting CA sales tax but no mention of who will receive this sales tax. If they are going to be paying it to CA as I am assuming, that leaves me with still having to pay Nebraska sales tax for a total of 14.25% (7.25% CA plus 7% NE) in addition to the 17% buyers premium for a total of 31.25%.
V-one

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by mike pobega » March 15th, 2019, 5:56 am

The way I read it is if your state did NOT require WineBid to collect taxes, California would be happy to pick up their 'slack'. Lol

Bid price + 17% + 7.25% (9.50% in LA?) + Shipping costs = auctions not being your best option if you are budgeting yourself. Luckily I don't need to budget but I also don't like the nickel diming crap either. I usually purchase 60-80 bottles a year from WineBid. I can't imagine myself doing more than say 12 hard to find bottles a year now. I have too many options and many with free shipping. I like WineBid but between what I just said and the Zero Return Option for duds, it's the best choice I can make for me. Your MMV and certainly does....

A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by A. So » March 15th, 2019, 6:07 am

The griping about the bidder's premium and tax is hilarious. Are you all so economically illiterate as to be unable to deduct 17%+tax from the price you're willing to pay?
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by mike pobega » March 15th, 2019, 6:47 am

Mathematically challenged. :)

Not sure where all the anger comes from. We're just chatting here. So angry.

Pat Martin

#30 Post by Pat Martin » March 15th, 2019, 6:59 am

I think some folks are saying, given the generally high pricing on WineBid these days, 7-9% on top of that will make their wines unattractively priced in general.

The real deal breaker for me will be if/when they can no longer ship via a common carrier. These 3rd party shipping arrangements many retailers have had to adopt in the last year or so are a big pain (needing to request shipping 2-3 weeks before it is sent out— who can know the weather will be that far out especially from Colorado to California?) and more expensive. Until then, a major advantage WineBid has in my calculus is easy, fast, inexpensive shipping.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Jay Miller » March 15th, 2019, 7:01 am

Tom Reddick wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 9:12 pm
Marc Hauser wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 9:06 pm
+1.

This is the new normal. Might be more constructive for people to be grateful for getting a break in the past versus considering themselves as being screwed in the future. The existing sales tax laws in this country never contemplated the sheer scale of interstate business that could be created with something like the internet. And now that temporary advantage is eroding.

While I certainly would prefer to not pay more for my merchandise, I am hard pressed to come up with a good reason why a customer out of state should escape sales tax in both the source and destination state while a customer in state has to pay.
+1
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Dale Williams

#32 Post by Dale Williams » March 15th, 2019, 8:21 am

If I'm not mistaken, in NYS you were always supposed to pay NYS tax on out of state purchases. I think my accountant just did an estimate most years.

As to not bidding because of this "extra" cost (or because of "vig') one should always bid based on total cost. It's really not that hard to do. And assuming most people can figure that out (and if a significant # of people choose not to participate because of paying tax), the expectation would be that hammer prices would fall due to slightly decreased bids and lack of competition. So new tax policies would actually be more damaging to sellers than buyers.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » March 15th, 2019, 8:56 am

Andy Steinman wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 9:32 pm
Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 7:42 pm
OR immune.
While our State Income Tax is painfully high, the lack of Sales Tax can be nice!
Mortgage deduction just taken away too. 10%+ here we come.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Paul Jaouen » March 15th, 2019, 8:58 am

[quote="Dale Williams" post_id=2695855 time=1552663313 user_id=1467
As to not bidding because of this "extra" cost (or because of "vig') one should always bid based on total cost. It's really not that hard to do.
[/quote]

Bingo!

I would be much more concerned about how they vet the wines they auction then having to pay tax on legitimate bottles.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Bryan Carr

#35 Post by Bryan Carr » March 15th, 2019, 10:18 am

Victor Hong wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 2:39 am
When people happily pay hundreds of dollars for old, fermented grape juice, but complain about a valid but small tax on that, they have a truly First-World problem.
Like some have said, I just factor in the 17% premium and sales tax into what I'm willing to bid (if you're a Seattle resident, that's a factor of 1.28). I snag fantastic deals on there all the time even accounting for fees and taxes. One of my favorite local producers' wine is frequently on there for less than half retail so even building back in the fee I'm WAAAAAAAAY net positive on a wine I love.

There were some '15 Vieux Telegraphes on there recently that were just AT the breakeven point vs local retail, I camped on them hoping that they'd come down to make the fees pay off, but they never did. C'est la bid.
CT: the_lovenest

JeffK

#36 Post by JeffK » March 15th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Winebid has always charged me Illinois tax on my purchases. My reading of this change is that they will now be double taxing any purchase I make (Illinois and California tax) since Illinois is not one of the 5 exempted states in their email.

VM
J. l<ow@ll<ow$ki - Vino Me

Bryan Carr

#37 Post by Bryan Carr » March 15th, 2019, 12:04 pm

JeffK wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 12:00 pm
Winebid has always charged me Illinois tax on my purchases. My reading of this change is that they will now be double taxing any purchase I make (Illinois and California tax) since Illinois is not one of the 5 exempted states in their email.

VM
I read it as

If state=permit state charge destination rate
Else charge CA rate

rather than adding CA tax on top, but yeah the wording is vague.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Anton D » March 15th, 2019, 12:14 pm

mike pobega wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 2:26 am
That's like they wanna tax capital gains, or something!
Anton Dotson

Bryan Carr

#39 Post by Bryan Carr » March 15th, 2019, 12:44 pm

I sent WB an email for clarification on the non-permit state tax issue, per WineBid:

Dear Bryan,

Thank you for contacting the customer service team at WineBid. The Washington state tax rate of 10.1% you are currently being charged will change when these new Terms and Conditions go into effect. You will no longer be charged WA sales tax and instead will be charged Napa county CA sales tax of 7.75%.

We appreciate your business.

So, that's actually a net positive for me!

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Keith A k e r s » March 15th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 6:15 pm
They still provide the best chance to hunt down aged wines that I like. Tax is secondary.
^bingo. The tax won't change anything for me as the access to otherwise unobtainable wines is why I buy from winebid

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Anton D » March 15th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Bryan Carr wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Dear Bryan,

Thank you for contacting the customer service team at WineBid. The Washington state tax rate of 10.1% you are currently being charged will change when these new Terms and Conditions go into effect. You will no longer be charged WA sales tax and instead will be charged Napa county CA sales tax of 7.75%.

Sounds completely fair.
Anton Dotson

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Rich Brown » March 15th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Keith A k e r s wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 1:17 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
^bingo. The tax won't change anything for me as the access to otherwise unobtainable wines is why I buy from winebid
+1000

I'll never understand the hate for Winebid. Awesome spot to find a wide range of wines, many which are hard/impossible to find anywhere else. Add in typically very good deals and awesome customer service. Tax or no tax (which is obviously something out of their control) - I'm a huge fan.

MMunger
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by MMunger » March 15th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 1:43 pm
Keith A k e r s wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 1:17 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
+1000

I'll never understand the hate for Winebid. Awesome spot to find a wide range of wines, many which are hard/impossible to find anywhere else. Add in typically very good deals and awesome customer service. Tax or no tax (which is obviously something out of their control) - I'm a huge fan.
Agree with all this 100%. I buy on there regularly (as well as Spectrum, HDH, Brentwood, Herritage, K&L.....). If you are on there only looking for deals on readily available wines, then it probably is not for you. But, if you want something aged, not available outside of being a member, or something harder to find then there are lots of great opportunities. I regularly find aged wines from places I am a member of for less than I paid to begin with.
Most all of auctions sites tell you the total including the premium before you even hit the bid button, so there are no surprises.

As for the storage, most all will store fro a while at N/C mostly so you can keep buying over a couple auctions to put a case together. In Winebid specially they will store for 6 months from date of purchase before charging you $.50 per bottle per month. Too me this seems pretty fair.

I live in WA, but luckily have an office outside Portland OR so I have all my shipments shipped there to save tax then have it brought up to my main office on one of our transfer trucks. [cheers.gif]
Mike Munger

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » March 15th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Bryan Carr wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 12:44 pm
I sent WB an email for clarification on the non-permit state tax issue, per WineBid:

Dear Bryan,

So, that's actually a net positive for me!
You likely owe the difference of 2.35% to WA. It’s called use tax.

It’s hilarious that people get up in arms about this.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Cris Whetstone » March 15th, 2019, 6:57 pm

mike pobega wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 6:47 am
Mathematically challenged. :)

Not sure where all the anger comes from. We're just chatting here. So angry.
Don't be defensive, Mike. I've read no anger. Just many of us are a bit flummoxed as to how you could pay the ever increasing premium while skating on tax you know you would pay in most other transactions. The tax drops in and you are upset enough to say you'll never buy again. It just seems a bit odd to suddenly get angry with Winebid. Ever increasing scalping is cool but following the law is over the line?
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Rich Brown » March 15th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 10:13 pm
I recently stopped buying from WineBid when they decided in December to charge me for storage until I could ship my wines in April.

I had 2 bottles, and they charged me 50 cents per bottle, so we are talking principle. The fact that the organization is
so incredibly dumb that they think shipping in December is viable (and they kept suggesting it) tells me they should not be dealing with fine wine.

As for the tax, it has been an anomaly for a long time. Sorry to see it go, but it evens the playing field for everyone.
For what it's worth, i shot them a quick note when I was falling outside of their typical hold window here in AZ, and they immediately removed the storage charge. Their customer service truly is top notch and they respond quicker than youd expect

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Arv R » March 15th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Well hopefully the sales tax payments will let them keep shipping. I have been very reluctant to buy anything out of my home state (esp if it cant get shipped right away) the last 12-18 mos since it seems like shipping is tightening up nationally.

If this pacifies regulators and keeps the market moving, its probably ok. And I suspect in the long run, everything will get covered for sales tax. As annoying sales tax is, its one of the few ways to get some societal contributions out of those who aren't participating in the lawful economy.
R_@_0

John Danza

#48 Post by John Danza » March 16th, 2019, 3:01 pm

JeffK wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 12:00 pm

VM
I was wondering this as well. I don't expect this to be the case. The reason that WineBid charges us Illinois sales tax is because they technically still have an office here even though they closed the warehouse location in Elmhurst. I believe they still have a sales guy here. At least that's what they told me when they closed Elmhurst but confirmed they could still ship to Illinois.

But it's worth a phone call next week.
John Danza

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Arv R » March 17th, 2019, 9:36 am

I wish they would do more frequent / scheduled Saturday pickups at their Napa location.

They had one during the fall, but didn't give much advance notice.

A few scheduled times a year would be a nice benefit, as it would make a weekend trip to wine country much more fun.
R_@_0

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#50 Post by larry schaffer » March 17th, 2019, 9:46 am

Cris Whetstone wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 10:52 pm
Did people also stop buying from Amazon when they stopped the music for the tax free sales? Seems odd to get upset with WineBid over this.

Anyone not paying taxes on sales they normally would should have known they were getting away with something. Not that it was something they got because of principles.

They are plenty of beefs to have with WineBid as listed in this thread. Finally having to pay taxes seems like a petty complaint at this point.

I find some stuff on there that is within the ranges of things I'm looking for. It's getting increasingly difficult to get them at good prices though. That's not just a WineBid problem though. Lots of under the radar classics are now going for large percentages more than they were 5-10 years ago.
Well stated.

This thread reminds me of some of the threads on shipping companies and the fact that some like one over another because the driver will simply leave there wines for them without having to be signed for. I get the convenience factor but this is completely illegal antique are some major issues if the wine is taken.

Sometimes doing the right thing sucks! [snort.gif]

Cheers
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Return to “Wine Talk”