TN: Two 2002 Donnhoff Spatlese served side by side

2002 Dönnhoff Schloßböckelheimer Felsenberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe (3/13/2019)
Served blind to my tasting group alongside the 2002 Kupfergrube, this showed less complex, but still beautifully into early maturity. Red cherry and peach fruit was supplemented by smoky minerals, and a light hint of creaminess on the finish. Tons of time left here, but it is a fun wine to drink right now, as are pretty much all the 2002 Donnhoff Spatlesen.

2002 Dönnhoff Schloßböckelheimer Kupfergrube Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe (3/13/2019)
Served alongside the 2002 Felsenberg Spatlese in a blind flight for my tasting group, the Kupfergrube took the flight with a deeper palate of fruit, an iron core, and fantastic length. It’s drinking so we’ll now, but probably has ten more years to full maturity, and two more decades of life after that. Spectacular stuff.

These wines are aging amazingly well…just saying.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for these. I have the kupfergrube, norheimer dellchen and niederhauser hermannshohle. Have you had the latter two?

we just had the 2002 norheimer dellchen
crispy and savory. slightly softer acids than 2001 but nice balance

3/5/2019 - DECATURWINEDUDE WROTE: 92 points
A Good Monday (Good Luck Gourmet): Clean. Vibrant acidity. Really Ripe sweet fruit that glides but buffered with the acid that really carries through to the end. Drinking great right now.

I had the Dellchen in 2018. My bottled (stored VERY cold) was less ready than Rob’s. My last Hermannshohle note is from a number of years ago. I will likely be fixing that deficiency in the next few weeks.

+1 [wink.gif]

Had the 2002 Kupfergrube spat last summer and it showed as your note. Beautiful bottle.

Very much enjoying your Riesling notes, David. I’ve been opening a variety of 01 and '02 Spat from the top suspects this past year and they’ve been delightful. Glad to see your notes, too.

These wines being so youthful and in wonderful balance as they approach 20 is just a treasure.

I’ve had both in the last couple of weeks. My note on the Hermannshohle was “The gold color is consistent with the scintillating richness, sweetness, and freshness, brilliant and very different from a recent more austere 2002 Norheimer Dellchen Spatlese.“.

The Dellchen was the same bottle in Rob Klafter’s post and it showed more minerality and cleaner lines than the 2006 Norheimer Kirschheck Spatlese tasted with it or the more rich and exuberant Hermannshohle I had a couple of weeks later.