Lebanon RE: 2013 El Ixsir

I’ve never really put the time or energy into Lebanese wine, but was at a buddies’ house a few weeks back and he served a few bottles of the wine mentioned in the title and I really enjoyed it. Does anyone have any good reccos for a Lebanon rookie who likes this particular wine? If wines like this are in the typical wheelhouse for this region, I may have to start stocking up a little bit. All feedback is appreciated.

I’d suggest Musar if imported by Broadbent. They age incredibly well, so something from 2003 or earlier would be best. Do a search for Musar in the Wine Talk forum for additional background.

Can recommend Musar as so many here - just bought a half case of 99 Musar rouge from the importer (around 45 EUR). First bottle was definitely excellent QPR. Nicely evolved, with some tannins still showing, surprisingly red fruited on the nose.

Musar is rightly the most famous winery. You might also look for Chateau Ksara.

“Comte de M” from Kefraya would be worth a try if you find it. Also from Kefraya is their unpretentious, but enjoyable, “Les Breteches”. Finally, less exalted than the “El”, but also worth a try, is Ixsir’s Grande Reserve. Enjoy!

+1

IMO Musar is not only the best winery in Lebanon, but also one of the greatest wineries in existence.

The whites are at least as spectacular as the fantastic reds.

+1
Yes but there are more interesting wineries like Château Ksara

Winelibrary has 2003 Musar right now. In a great place with a 6+ hour decant.

That’s a strong statement, and I totally agree. I’d get a '99 for a good introduction, but I’m sure another vintage would serve the purpose plenty well. Decant for sediment and give it plenty of air.

It is worth pointing out that Musar doesn’t really give an indication of what Lebanese wine is like in general (not that I’m sure anything does). Their style is their own, and it is totally unique.

+1 on everything Doug and Otto said. Ixir is a Hubert de Bouärd (St. Emilion) endeavor, and while it is one of the better Lebanese wines, it doesn’t hold a candle to Musar (and is in a different style). I can’t say I’ve been impressed with any other wine in Lebanon - nor is there a coherent regional style. The wines are all over the map, stylistically, and in terms of quality, Musar is head-and-shoulders above the rest.

Here are my notes from a Lebanese horizontal: Wines of Lebanon - CellarTracker

Ksara, Massaya, and Ixir were the better non-Musars.