Lebanon RE: 2013 El Ixsir

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
R_Olson

Lebanon RE: 2013 El Ixsir

#1 Post by R_Olson » March 14th, 2019, 10:42 am

I've never really put the time or energy into Lebanese wine, but was at a buddies' house a few weeks back and he served a few bottles of the wine mentioned in the title and I really enjoyed it. Does anyone have any good reccos for a Lebanon rookie who likes this particular wine? If wines like this are in the typical wheelhouse for this region, I may have to start stocking up a little bit. All feedback is appreciated.

Ron F r e e d
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Lebanon RE: 2013 El Ixsir

#2 Post by Ron F r e e d » March 14th, 2019, 12:27 pm

I'd suggest Musar if imported by Broadbent. They age incredibly well, so something from 2003 or earlier would be best. Do a search for Musar in the Wine Talk forum for additional background.

joz€f p1nxten

#3 Post by joz€f p1nxten » March 14th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Can recommend Musar as so many here - just bought a half case of 99 Musar rouge from the importer (around 45 EUR). First bottle was definitely excellent QPR. Nicely evolved, with some tannins still showing, surprisingly red fruited on the nose.
j.0.z.€.f w.

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by jcoley3 » March 14th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Musar is rightly the most famous winery. You might also look for Chateau Ksara.
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Jim Stewart » March 14th, 2019, 1:30 pm

"Comte de M" from Kefraya would be worth a try if you find it. Also from Kefraya is their unpretentious, but enjoyable, "Les Breteches". Finally, less exalted than the "El", but also worth a try, is Ixsir's Grande Reserve. Enjoy!

Otto Forsberg

#6 Post by Otto Forsberg » March 15th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Ron F r e e d wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 12:27 pm
I'd suggest Musar if imported by Broadbent. They age incredibly well, so something from 2003 or earlier would be best. Do a search for Musar in the Wine Talk forum for additional background.
+1

IMO Musar is not only the best winery in Lebanon, but also one of the greatest wineries in existence.

The whites are at least as spectacular as the fantastic reds.

Claus Jeppesen

#7 Post by Claus Jeppesen » March 15th, 2019, 1:29 pm

+1
Yes but there are more interesting wineries like Château Ksara
Claus

Riesling and Slate

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by AD Northup » March 15th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Winelibrary has 2003 Musar right now. In a great place with a 6+ hour decant.
Andrew Northup
CT: adnorthup

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Doug Schulman » March 15th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Otto Forsberg wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 12:50 pm
IMO Musar is not only the best winery in Lebanon, but also one of the greatest wineries in existence.
That's a strong statement, and I totally agree. I'd get a '99 for a good introduction, but I'm sure another vintage would serve the purpose plenty well. Decant for sediment and give it plenty of air.

It is worth pointing out that Musar doesn't really give an indication of what Lebanese wine is like in general (not that I'm sure anything does). Their style is their own, and it is totally unique.
ITB - retail sales and education

Rajiv Ayyangar

#10 Post by Rajiv Ayyangar » March 15th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Doug Schulman wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 3:17 pm
Otto Forsberg wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 12:50 pm
That's a strong statement, and I totally agree. I'd get a '99 for a good introduction, but I'm sure another vintage would serve the purpose plenty well. Decant for sediment and give it plenty of air.

It is worth pointing out that Musar doesn't really give an indication of what Lebanese wine is like in general (not that I'm sure anything does). Their style is their own, and it is totally unique.

+1 on everything Doug and Otto said. Ixir is a Hubert de Bouärd (St. Emilion) endeavor, and while it is one of the better Lebanese wines, it doesn't hold a candle to Musar (and is in a different style). I can't say I've been impressed with any other wine in Lebanon - nor is there a coherent regional style. The wines are all over the map, stylistically, and in terms of quality, Musar is head-and-shoulders above the rest.

Here are my notes from a Lebanese horizontal: https://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp ... ource=list

Ksara, Massaya, and Ixir were the better non-Musars.
Formerly ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”