TN: 2017 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

• 2017 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/13/2019)
    Pobegad from FEDEX man. Gone in less than an hour. Bright Strawberry leads on the nose and palate. Strawberry and tart cherry bounce around on the palate with this playful joy. Great acidity and med finish. Delicious stuff that’s quite unique. It doesn’t really remind me of anything else in California and its not Oregonian or Burgundian. To me, it’s distinctly Kutch. Certainly, wishing I had bought more than a few bottles. Won’t make that mistake again. Good QPR for California pinot. Still a bit pricey compared my favorites from Oregon but this wine its just delicious. This is top tier California pinot that delivers. Its not quite as complex or stemmy as some of the SVD’s but its fantastic right out of the gate. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

It’s likely easy to fix your mistake. Email Jamie and ask to buy more. You are practically neighbors.

Great note.

It showed very well in a crowded field at Falltacular too.

The 2017s overall will be excellent wines IMO. Oddly though, I still don’t have any comment on the 2017 SC, as even with visiting Jamie last July, and with Falltacular last month when J Web was here, and he tasted the wine, I missed tasting the SC. ####. I had the Dougie and Staff, but not the SC.

Sean, you have the only note in CT so good on you for taking the first dip and posting on it. Like Andrew said, just call Jamie and ask for more. The worst he can do is say No, but for someone who likes the wine, you’d think he’d offer you a little more so you can have more to enjoy.

Yes, I’m excited to taste the Trout Gulch as well. Had the Alfaro Estate recently and it’s quite good especially for the price, Ceritas just showed up the other day as well but haven’t dipped into that quite yet.

god, this bottle is just an ass kicker. So good.

• 2017 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (4/8/2019)
    First of two, and ,this is my first TN impression. Opened 30 mins ago, took straight from the fridge to get it cool as it’s a little warm tonight in the OC. This warming practice allows me to get the wine at just the right temp, to get a dialed in impression. This is just fantastic. The stems season this in the palate and aroma, yet they don’t go past this seasoning quality. They impart a nice spicy note to both dimensions. In the palate of the wine, it’s got a # of things going on. Texturtally, there is a light creaminess, along with cranberry, strawberry, bright cherry and just a brushing of cola that Tarheel mentions, too. Finishes with a clean, pure impression, devoid of oak or anything heavy, which is where I continue to be impressed with Jamie’s interpretation of Pinot Noir. Worth also reinforcing that this wine, like the Alesia bottlings from Rhys, is made with de-classed barrels of the single vineyard stuff. To me, those vineyards shine through as this wine is built well, the purity and flavors are bright and forward and there is nothing ‘entry’ about this bottling. 12.5% ABV, neutral oak and really spot on good. $39 for this wine. Sick.

A refresh to Sean’s post, with another bottle opened on my side. This wine is cruising right along, showing a good spine for further aging, too.

• 2017 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (6/8/2020)
    Opened yesterday. 12.5% ABV, 100% whole cluster, neutral oak. I believe this is the declassed barrels of 'Staff, 'Dougie and Bohan, similar to the Rhys approach for Alesia appellation blends. If a winery can make the economics work, in theory it’s a great strategy. The single vineyard wines get the best barrels, and the appellation blend gets what is arguably great fruit blended for a much cheaper price. This bottle was $39, drinks excellent, too. Incense and flowers in the aromatic. Fleshy strawberry, mint, bit of cranberry (when cooler) with tannin that creates a good tension for the palate. This also has some of the ‘saturated’ quality that I sometimes find in Jamie’s wines, as well as Rhys. This is especially true as it warms up, shedding the chill and seeing the saturating fruit fill in. Really gorgeous wine, another dart throw at the target for a guy in Jamie who keeps kicking out great wines, stuff that is doing quality at a real high level, at pricing that is very fair.

Thanks for the new note. I need to revisit one soon. Such a good wine. '17 Kutch was totally on point. 17 Staff was my WOTN in a big vertical of staffs we tasted through blind with Jamie. I so miss the comradery of my offline berserker family and the great times we share. Thanks again for all your efforts to bring some of that to us all during these strange times. All the Zoom events have been just excellent.

Thanks for inspiration Frank

Sean