What wine did you not buy today?

with 100 wine offers a day and a bulging cellar, I must also face actuarial realities and budget constraints—so I pass on many wines I’d really like to buy. I’m sure many of you do also.

Lately I’ve passed on Rhys, 2008 Veuve Cliquot, and 2008 Bollinger.

This thread may allow others to buy the wine you passed on. What have you wanted and not bought lately?

‘16 Jamet Côte Rotie and ‘02 Hubert Lignier CdlR.

Want the CdlR badly but price is just too high.

2016 Scarecrow, but not for lack of trying.
Released in waves, eh? Sure that notice says you can “order from 3/13 to 3/19”.
Orders were accepted before the official start time. Sold out within in a couple of minutes past 9 AM on 3/13.
Nice, wind 'em up with hope, then shut 'em down–a tease.

thought this thread would have more traction. Fun to learn about restraint—sorry to hear you were shut out!

I think about this often. I’ve liked a bunch of stuff I’ve seen in e-mail in recent weeks but have shown restraint. Includes:

2016 Daniel Rion Beaux Monts
16 Felsina Rancia
15 and 16 Memento Mori

Responded to a flatiron burg offer a couple weeks ago and they never got back to me. Saved me several hundred dollars and probably a sign from the wine gods.

All of them as I didn’t buy any wine today.

I felt guilty naming names of whose lists we have dropped off.

We dropped over half our lists so far this year.

I’m on some mailing lists from wineries that I’ve visited, ordered from in the past, gone to wine dinner/tastings, corresponded with - not true allocated mailers - that I’ll hear from telling me about some new wine, and sometimes they are hard to pass on. Got one the other day for some Rose’, and the price was just high enough to get me to pass.

Passed on;
Torbreck, Abreu, Dalla Valle, Myriad Syrah, Drinkward Peschon, Switchback, Hobbs, Peter Michael, Beckstoffer, Booker.

TOO MUCH WINE, NO SPACE !

I was seriously tempted by some 2009 Gouges Le Saint Georges. Loved the 16s I just tasted and these are much less expensive. But — showed restraint.

Anton, Ned,
I know another gent who also said no mas to some of California’s best after years on the lists. I have reduced my quantities order,ed but stay on the lists.
The wine market is softening finally and I think there may be better pricing coming.

Back filling on older favs however…I do not know if we can go back to the 70’s and early 80’s styled wines with our warmer vintages. Lots of us love the 12-12.5% ABV Cabs, which age so well and display terroir, now obfuscated so commonly. I am a 70’s Cab fan. 1978 Diamond Creeks anybody?

Alan, I appreciate the condolences, but as Gloria Gayner put it “I will survive”.
The Scarecrow postcard was a first time offer tho. It stings, er stinks. I have enough juice I truly love after many decades ITB.
And I am an older gent now and trying to stay healthy for the sake of my stash. Ha! 2016 is a gamble, sad to say, but realistic.
Hey, I have 2005 Burgs too; I better take that three mile hike in the hills tomorrow.

The one that made me look was 2014 Chevillon Cailles at $80. Did not buy, though.

This is the first week of my moratorium resulting from an overloaded cellar and acknowledgement of age.

Passed on Once & Future and Myriad Syrah, both very difficult, along with numerous retail offers.

As i start to see wines i buy age and mature its becoming easier to focus on what i really like, unlike a lot of people i am OK with having 15-20 % of my cellar being one wine, Saxum, probably at 120 + right now and loving it. Ive never had a bottle i did not enjoy, ive been trying to branch out but it doesnt seem to stick, I do like Napa cabs but im passing on a lot of them like Myriad etc that ive bought previously. I am also dropping off some lists to be more focused, for example when it the past i would buy a case of say Myriad Syrah im now using those funds to buy three bottles of Alban Lorraine.

Richard,
I didn’t mention about 8K bottles and I’m a '45 baby !

This would have tempted me. That’s a decent price in the US.

The only real temptation in past 24 hours: 2008 Hugues Godmé Grand Cru Brut Millésimé.

Yes that would be tempting. I really liked the 2006.

I did! [cheers.gif]

The best values in that sale were the 14 cailles and 16 voillot champans

Peay and Failla were two recent offerings that I let go.