TN: 1958 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Barolo Riserva (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

• 1958 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Barolo Riserva - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (3/13/2019)
    Wonderfully punchy and expressive nose of decaying rose, rum and raisin ice cream, bitter chocolate, cherry and Indian spice. It is rich, intense and heady but with an airy feel in the mouth. There is so much going on with every sip and it has awesome power, presence and length. There’s balsamic tang and freshness to the finish. One of the greatest Barolo I’ve had the pleasure of drinking.

Posted from CellarTracker

can only imagine how great this wine is! sounds like a great experience

What Matt said! Well done. Sounds wonderful. The few '58 Barolos I’ve had have been so good.

This exact Barolo was the WOTN in an eight decade Barolo tasting about four years. Wines ranged from a 37’ Conterno to a 89’ Gaja to a 04’ Brovia. It was life changing event and I’ve discussed that particular wine in almost every great Barolo conversation since then. I’ve now also tried the 61’ and 64’ and neither showed as well. Just curious, where did you source that bottle…are there any still for sale?

My only bottle was oxidized from cork degeneration. I can only imagine. This is my birthyear so I am still seeking out these 58 Barolos. They are incredible when on. I have had a 58 G Conterno Riserva ( beautiful Blue Label) that was absolutely stunning. Thanks for the note.

The '61 G. Mascarello Riserva is one of the greatest wines I have ever had, really off the charts intensity despite the very light color. I have 1 bottle of the '58 and I hope it is as good as yours was!

For me, only bottle variation seems to be the deciding factor whether the ‘58, ‘61 or ‘64 are the best version of this wine. Many have been just fantastic like Jeremys bottle, some just great and only a few less than very good. Some of the best barolos I have ever drunk - thanks for the note Jeremy, still have a few of all these vintages luckily