Heeee's Back - Gary V.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Gary Schulte
GCC Member
GCC Member

Heeee's Back - Gary V.

#1 Post by Gary Schulte » March 13th, 2019, 2:11 pm

Looks like Gary Vaynerchuk has a new wine business to hit our shelves sometime soon.....Empathy Wines

GregP

Re: Heeee's Back - Gary V.

#2 Post by GregP » March 13th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Hmmm... Lodi fruit somehow marketed as "Napa", with a "Say Hi..." split second note and a picture of some gate? Where did I see and hear that before?
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Brandon R

#3 Post by Brandon R » March 13th, 2019, 3:21 pm

"At the end of the day, I know how to bring value to customers. And I know great f*cking wine."
B. Redman

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by ky1em!ttskus » March 13th, 2019, 3:30 pm

WTF??

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by T. Altmayer » March 13th, 2019, 3:40 pm

At least he's not wearing his lame hipster hat.
Tom

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by mike pobega » March 13th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Gotta love this dudes f**king energy and moth** f**king drive.

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Chris Blum » March 13th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Yeah, I’m good. Thanks.
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Cris Whetstone » March 13th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Chris Blum wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 4:54 pm
Yeah, I’m good. Thanks.
+1
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Mike Maguire » March 13th, 2019, 6:34 pm

I did love his dad in those videos, other than that not interested.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Kirk.Grant » March 13th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Are folks still happy with their Vayniac Cab??
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

johngonzales

#11 Post by johngonzales » March 13th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Gary needs some extra cash to buy the Jets.

J Wei

#12 Post by J Wei » March 13th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Direct to consumer winery . . . aren't there many wineries in CA (Napa, Paso, Temecula) that operate under that model? That isn't something new . . . unless I'm missing something.
- Juyuan

GregP

#13 Post by GregP » March 13th, 2019, 7:06 pm

J Wei wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 6:49 pm
Direct to consumer winery . . . aren't there many wineries in CA (Napa, Paso, Temecula) that operate under that model? That isn't something new . . . unless I'm missing something.
Basically, there are ways to ship to almost every state with just few exceptions, legally.

As someone once told me, "You can sell horse piss in a bottle if you market it right". Very true.

GregT

#14 Post by GregT » March 13th, 2019, 9:02 pm

No idea how this isn't any different from any other winery that sells to consumers, like most of them who participated in Berserker Day.

He's a good marketer, so I would never count him out, maybe he still has followers from WLTV?
G . T a t a r

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#15 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 13th, 2019, 9:51 pm

GregT wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 9:02 pm
No idea how this isn't any different from any other winery that sells to consumers, like most of them who participated in Berserker Day.

He's a good marketer, so I would never count him out, maybe he still has followers from WLTV?
He has MILLIONS of followers on various social media - that's a massive market he can easily tap into. He pimps his own K-Swiss shoes and probably sells the bejezus out of those. Wine should be easy for him, obviously.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

tcavallo
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#16 Post by tcavallo » March 13th, 2019, 11:40 pm

GregP wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Basically, there are ways to ship to almost every state with just few exceptions, legally.

As someone once told me, "You can sell horse piss in a bottle if you market it right". Very true.
Well don't forget that Equine Urine has a large amount of readily absorbable nitrogen as unbonded urea, and a few spritzes into the soil each time you water your houseplants can nearly double their vigor and growth.
T 0 D D
ITB, Wild Arc Farm
IG: @tcavallo or @wildarcfarm

GregP

#17 Post by GregP » March 14th, 2019, 12:18 am

tcavallo wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 11:40 pm
GregP wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Well don't forget that Equine Urine has a large amount of readily absorbable nitrogen as unbonded urea, and a few spritzes into the soil each time you water your houseplants can nearly double their vigor and growth.
"Unbound urea, vigor and growth!"

There you go, a ready made marketing campaign. One could then work on the "whole cluster" aspect right there. Parker and his "leathery" preference, in a stable, controlled environment.

Ledwards
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Ledwards » March 14th, 2019, 3:12 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 9:51 pm
GregT wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 9:02 pm

He has MILLIONS of followers on various social media - that's a massive market he can easily tap into. He pimps his own K-Swiss shoes and probably sells the bejezus out of those. Wine should be easy for him, obviously.
This. It is logical play by Social Media influencers. Nothing new from a wine perspective, it is modern branding and the play on it. From The Rock launching sports gear with Under Armor to Kylie becoming America’s youngest self made billionaire selling cosmetics, it is not so much the product but this method. It seems the Rock is going to launch a tequila soon and some guy named Ray attempting it with bourbon. It somewhat endorses a persons true ‘reach’ so it can cut both ways on the influencer’s ego.
Luke

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by cjsavino » March 14th, 2019, 3:47 am

Don’t miss the Barter tab on the winery website, buy a large volume of wine and get an audience with him
Chris

David Cooper

#20 Post by David Cooper » March 14th, 2019, 8:11 am

I find it interesting that dropping FBombs is thought of as good for marketing. Maybe there is hope for me.

GregT

#21 Post by GregT » March 14th, 2019, 8:14 am

This. It is logical play by Social Media influencers. Nothing new from a wine perspective, it is modern branding and the play on it. From The Rock launching sports gear with Under Armor to Kylie becoming America’s youngest self made billionaire selling cosmetics, it is not so much the product but this method. It seems the Rock is going to launch a tequila soon and some guy named Ray attempting it with bourbon. It somewhat endorses a persons true ‘reach’ so it can cut both ways on the influencer’s ego.
Aha. I overlooked that. I don't pay any attention to the "influencers" on any social media, so I never think about it but I had read about that Kylie Jenner thing. Unbelievable.
G . T a t a r

Steve Eisenhauer

#22 Post by Steve Eisenhauer » March 14th, 2019, 8:32 am

So he's bottling shiners under the Empathy label? Or did I miss something?

I like the qualifications of the other dudes. Started as interns at Wine Library. Can't top that.
ITB - Congruence Wines

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#23 Post by Dave McIsaac » March 14th, 2019, 8:41 am

T. Altmayer wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 3:40 pm

At least he's not wearing his lame hipster hat.
He does get bonus points for sporting the Macho Man T shirt [cheers.gif]

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#24 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 14th, 2019, 8:50 am

David Cooper wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 8:11 am
I find it interesting that dropping FBombs is thought of as good for marketing. Maybe there is hope for me.
that's targeting millennials - the great 'untapped' market (other than craft beer, which is already their jam)
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by J a y H a c k » March 14th, 2019, 9:02 am

I like Gary. I have had dinner with him and he is incredibly generous with what he shares with others, has an excellent palate, and is a great person to talk to. I have also tailgated with him at Jets games and if you think he is a bit hyper about wine, you ain't seen nothin' compared to Gary in the parking lot. His public persona has gotten him lots of followers around the country and made him lots of money while educating a lot of people about wine who normally drink wine from a box. What's wrong with that?
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

crickey

#26 Post by crickey » March 14th, 2019, 9:12 am

Do you suppose his two "partners" are arguing which one is the right hand and which one the left?
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

crickey

#27 Post by crickey » March 14th, 2019, 9:13 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 9:02 am
I like Gary. I have had dinner with him and he is incredibly generous with what he shares with others, has an excellent palate, and is a great person to talk to. I have also tailgated with him at Jets games and if you think he is a bit hyper about wine, you ain't seen nothin' compared to Gary in the parking lot. His public persona has gotten him lots of followers around the country and made him lots of money while educating a lot of people about wine who normally drink wine from a box. What's wrong with that?
That his public persona has gotten him lot of followers and made him lots of money.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

P L owet

#28 Post by P L owet » March 14th, 2019, 9:42 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
Jay,
Nothing wrong with that. However, Empathy Wines does not appear to relate much to his palate, his excitement about wine, his educational talent, etc. In the video, the misleading idea that DTC will save consumers half the cost and the misleading map focused on Napa (for Lodi fruit) may be good marketing and may make him a LOT of money, but IMO is not advancing fine wine with millennials. It actually makes me more skeptical that his old marketing pitches reviewing wines were on the up-and-up vs. deceptive promotion of wines he got good deals on. (Yes, I'm naive.) Not illegal and perhaps an approach that impresses marketing pros. Not my cup of tea, but he's a lot richer than I am.
Regards,
Peter
Peter L owet

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by David Glasser » March 14th, 2019, 9:45 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
I like Gary. I have had dinner with him and he is incredibly generous with what he shares with others, has an excellent palate, and is a great person to talk to.
Same here.

I don't begrudge Gary the use of his celebrity to promote a project like this. He knows more about wine than most celebrities know about whatever product they're pushing. As long as he doesn't mislead or misrepresent where the wine is coming from, I have no problem with it.

I did get a laugh out of the "intern at Wine Library" credential.

Gray G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Gray G » March 14th, 2019, 10:22 am

Kirk.Grant wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 6:35 pm
Are folks still happy with their Vayniac Cab??
LOL, no oak monster in that wine....still have a bottle pepsi
so much time, so little wine, Albanista, flavors please, 6 R 1 9 V 9

GregP

#31 Post by GregP » March 14th, 2019, 10:55 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
Jay, have you done BUSINESS with the guy? Not being a customer and tailgating, but doing business.

GregP

#32 Post by GregP » March 14th, 2019, 11:00 am

David Glasser wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 9:45 am
I did get a laugh out of the "intern at Wine Library" credential.
Qualifies them in the Black Arts of (mis)Marketing. And nothing else. Makes them just as much responsible for the "Buy Lodi fruit as Napa, just trust us!" Not illegal, but extremely questionable, especially when the ad starts with the "deceptive French wines" BS. Is there anything in the ad that is really true?

Dale Williams

#33 Post by Dale Williams » March 14th, 2019, 11:39 am

So to get it to $20 someone would have to buy 3 solid cases, of a red, a rose, and a white. A couple of his wineries seem to sell $11-14 roses based on cellartracker prices. What does the Marietta Old Vine red go for these days- $12-14? From the blends it sounds like he might be taking each farmer's excess juice and blending.

From press release
$720 for 36 bottles ($20 per bottle). It includes the Empathy Rosé blend of Grenach, Syrah, Mourvedre, and Pinot Noir, Empathy Wine blend of Vermentino, Viognier, and Grenache Blanc, and Empathy Red blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Petite Sirah, and Zinfandel. The Empathy Rosé ships first in the spring of 2019, the Empathy White ships in summer 2019, and the Empathy Red ships in the fall of 2019.

The initial group of farmers growing grapes for Empathy Wines has decades of experience with acclaimed wineries. It includes Markus Bokisch of Bokisch Vineyards (Lodi, CA), Scott Bilbro of Marietta Vineyards (Mendocino, CA), Clay Shannon of Shannon Ranch (Lake County, CA), and the Mettler Family of Mettler Vineyards (Lodi, CA).

Return to “Wine Talk”