66 Romanee Conti

newhere so I’m sorry if this is the wrong forum…been stalking you guys for a while and love what I’ve learned so far. Something has been bothering me lately. Came across this ‘66 RC and can’t find any record of the importer, exporter and on top of that, the capsule seems incorrect. Can anyone take a look at this?

Also shouldn’t the bottle number be 5 digits with a leading 0?

I thought the same thing too. I’m very curious about this. It’s easy to call something fake because you don’t recognize the label but knowing the owner of the cellar, I find it really hard to believe he was outright duped. I thought the same thing about his 45 Lafite until I learned the different labels indicated a rerelease.

Reserving judgment until confirmation occurs. I’ve seen weirder things in wine.

Capsule discussion at DRC capsule question (w. pics) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

I would have a critical eye on these if I were a prospective buyer and the provenance was not certifiable.

fred

Neck label and foil look awfully fresh for a 53 year old bottle

I’d always be very cautions with incorrect capsules, particularly with a bottle like this. If it were in a generally poor condition someone might have re-capped it but the label looks impeccable, making that improbable, and the Domaine would not have released it with this capsule. The four digit number is also incorrect (it should have a 0 in front of it). It’s a bit of a quandary thought, as you’d expect a decent faker to notice these things - other aspects, such as the type of the bottle number seem correct. If it were me I would cut the capsule below the lip and see if I could get any information from the cork. In any events I’m afraid I would lean towards this not being genuine.

Here is a picture of one currently for sale.

You may gain more feedback if you included the context.
Such as - your asking because you are considering purchasing?
or you are just curious?
Given all of the issues surrounding DRC, i’d pay one of the authenticators who inspires my respect.
Good luck