Post wines that tastes like cheese please!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
DaveL

Post wines that tastes like cheese please!

#1 Post by DaveL » March 12th, 2019, 9:07 am

Love wines that taste like cheese but I have only tried a few and I would like to find some more. Anyone have wines that have a cheese taste to it? Please post which ones!
David Lease

Elliot Steele

Re: Post wines that tastes like cheese please!

#2 Post by Elliot Steele » March 12th, 2019, 9:16 am

The 2015 Domaine des Baumard Savennieres we popped open a couple weeks ago was so stinky/ripe/cheesy I had a hard time getting through it. Others seemed to like it though...This might be your cup of tea

Markus S

#3 Post by Markus S » March 12th, 2019, 9:27 am

Some aglianicos can have a cheesy note to them, usually the smaller producers who do not make 'clean' wines.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Doug Schulman » March 12th, 2019, 9:38 am

Dave, what kind of cheese? Can you give any examples of categories or specific wines where you've found the characteristic that you're talking about? This could mean so many different things.
ITB - retail sales and education

Rory K.

#5 Post by Rory K. » March 12th, 2019, 9:41 am

Just had a 2015 vino di sasso robola de cephalonie, a natural wine from greece. A nice white with citrus and orchard fruit but also a solid bloomy rind cheese note, like a touch of brie. Though that was aroma not taste.
K i n n e a r

ITB

DaveL

#6 Post by DaveL » March 12th, 2019, 9:43 am

Doug, most recently I tasted it in an Andremily Mourvedre. I dont know exactly what kind of cheese it was but two others I was with had the same reaction. I'm looking for something not nearly as expensive as this tho!
David Lease

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Jim Stewart » March 12th, 2019, 9:57 am

I am familiar with PAIRING wine and cheese, looking to complement or contrast some flavor component of each. (e.g. acidic grassiness of fresh goat cheese matched with that of some Sauv Blancs). But thinking about WINE TASTING LIKE CHEESE is almost blowing my mind (or what's left of it). I have never, ever, looked at it this way. Dave, [cheers.gif] to you for offering this new-to-me point of view.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Anton D » March 12th, 2019, 10:02 am

Wow, I better up my vocabulary.

I've never had a wine and used "cheese" in my description.

Fascinating!

Oh, wait, maybe "teleme" once for a sparkling wine.
Anton Dotson

Markus S

#9 Post by Markus S » March 12th, 2019, 10:09 am

Jim Stewart wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 9:57 am
I am familiar with PAIRING wine and cheese, looking to complement or contrast some flavor component of each. (e.g. acidic grassiness of fresh goat cheese matched with that of some Sauv Blancs). But thinking about WINE TASTING LIKE CHEESE is almost blowing my mind (or what's left of it). I have never, ever, looked at it this way. Dave, [cheers.gif] to you for offering this new-to-me point of view.
Try an aglianico like I suggested above. Sometimes you get cheese, like a hard rind parmesan.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Michael Martin » March 12th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Aglianico and cheese? Oh please...never had a good one with cheese notes.

I've had ports with nutty notes, but was told by many on here that I was nuts.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Paul Miller » March 12th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 9:57 am
That was my thoughts.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Craig G » March 12th, 2019, 1:59 pm

This may be the best thread title ever.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Nick Ellis

#13 Post by Nick Ellis » March 12th, 2019, 2:08 pm

I once had a Barral Faugeres that tasted like cow$hit and Époisses, but I don’t think that was intentional.

Side note, don’t ship natural wines from Florida retailers in June.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Jim Stewart » March 12th, 2019, 2:57 pm

DaveL, your request is so "out there", that I think you might be messing with us. Nevertheless, I choose to play: You might try 2017 Brusset Cairanne Blanc "Les Travers" that I enjoyed recently. There was a distinct herbal/flower/other taste that was familiar but I could not name. Maybe it was cheese [shrug.gif] ?! This is a blend of Clairette, Grenache blanc, Roussanne, and Viognier. Available at Total Wine $17.

Lee Short

#15 Post by Lee Short » March 12th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Non-premoxed old Dauvissat.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Anton D » March 12th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Anton Dotson

SOvery

#17 Post by SOvery » March 12th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Old dry white Bordeaux. Semillon can go a bit cheesy after 30 years. I remember a Fieuzal 83 was a particular exemplar.
ST€V€ OVERY

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Matthew King » March 12th, 2019, 3:36 pm

I can get a Parmesan rind note in White Burgs of a certain age ...

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Richard T r i m p i » March 12th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Pecorino. If nothing else it sounds like cheese.

RT

drew b

#20 Post by drew b » March 13th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Great question, I don't know the answer. I'm just here in case someone else has some recommendations!
D. B!renbaum

YLee

#21 Post by YLee » March 13th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Patricia Green had cheese aroma but not taste.
-Yong

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by J.Vizuete » March 13th, 2019, 10:25 pm

The post/poster appear genuine to me.

I occasionally get a similar impression on certain reds. I’ve categorized the note as “cheese rind” in my mind and it comes up from time to time. Usually this is met with funny looks but one very experienced taster called it “lactic”, which made more sense to me. I sometimes find it in full bodied, large scale reds when they are young. Quilceda Creek, several 15 Bordeaux like Pape Clement and Smith Haut Lafitte come to mind. I haven’t had the Andremily Mourvedre but that seems on par. No cheapies to suggest unfortunately, perhaps because wines going for body in lower price brackets do so with sugar and alcohol (among other things...)
John V.

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by J.Vizuete » March 17th, 2019, 1:35 pm

2016 Bevan "Dry Stack" Sauvignon Blanc:

"This bottle was consistent with my experience last April. It’s a little funky and unmistakably SB. Unfiltered with some apparent yeasty sediment in the shoulder. Several in our group called ‘cheesy’ or ‘cheese rind’ on the nose (without the help of suggestion) and while I don’t totally endorse that perception (it’s not over the top), it did come up in my last note. Regardless, this has green kiwi and gin on the nose, bracing acidity with bright fruit and hay/grass that draw in some taste memories from New Zealand expressions. It’s an interesting wine if perhaps a little polarizing, but I appreciate the winemaking which shines through.

Lacks the broad appeal of a Merry Edwards, but perhaps has more energy."
John V.

Nick Kra Mar Ski

#24 Post by Nick Kra Mar Ski » March 17th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Depending on the condition/type of cheese you mean, that's a classic tell of brett

Had a natty VdF last night with such characteristics; Les Vins Contes - 2012 Poivre et Sel

Otto Forsberg

#25 Post by Otto Forsberg » March 18th, 2019, 5:15 am

J.Vizuete wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 10:25 pm

I occasionally get a similar impression on certain reds. I’ve categorized the note as “cheese rind” in my mind and it comes up from time to time. Usually this is met with funny looks but one very experienced taster called it “lactic”, which made more sense to me. I sometimes find it in full bodied, large scale reds when they are young. Quilceda Creek, several 15 Bordeaux like Pape Clement and Smith Haut Lafitte come to mind. I haven’t had the Andremily Mourvedre but that seems on par. No cheapies to suggest unfortunately, perhaps because wines going for body in lower price brackets do so with sugar and alcohol (among other things...)
If this is what the OP is looking for, it's something I find in young wines all the time. There's no other common characteristic in these wines except they are all young.

Normally the lactic aromas in wines make me think of strawberry milkshakes or blueberry yogurt etc. instead of cheese.

Although I've found some stinky cheese notes in some wines, including red cheese rind or parmesan (butyric acid). I've also had a wonderful Fonte Cal white from Beira Interior, Portugal, which had a very distinctive character I couldn't sum in other way but "cheesy" (as in "cheese-like"), yet it was quite delicious in all aspects.

DaveL

#26 Post by DaveL » March 19th, 2019, 11:17 am

J.Vizuete wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Yes J. Vizuete I AM being serious about it! I did mean to say for red wines. I agree I have found it in more full bodied ones. Thank you!
David Lease

kyledorsey

#27 Post by kyledorsey » March 19th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Young champagnes that have gone through malo often have a cheese-like note from the confluence of the ML indicators and the lees/yeast indicators. Natty chenin blanc and Etna carricante have this musky character that is not unlike cheese.

Return to “Wine Talk”