TN: 2001 Müller-Catoir Haardter Bürgergarten Riesling Spätlese

2001 Müller-Catoir Haardter Bürgergarten Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Pfalz (3/12/2019)
It’s all too easy to approach the final wines of Hans-Günter Schwarz career at Catoir with a sort of reverence. A bit of effort is required to clear the mind, and focus on what the wine has to give. This wine has a lot to give!

Purchased on release, and stored at a some what glacially cold temperature, the wine had barely moved into a light golden color. After thirty minutes of air the aromatics opened up, with a full plate of tropical fruits, and an light spice undertone. Only moderately sweet on the palate after eighteen years in the bottle (feinherb level perhaps), the palate maintained bright acidity, with a bit of finishing creaminess. I probably would have guess a 7-10 year old wine if I had been served this blind, and it looks like there are many more years ahead for well stored bottles. Riesling magic.

#2134 bottling

Posted from CellarTracker

Hi David,
I had a bottle last May and from my less-glacial cellar “Bright acidity. Just a delicious wine.” It was well-matched with Chinese style soft-shell crab.
Even 10 years ago the sweetness was very moderate.

Does anyone still have any unopened bottles of the Mandelring Scheurebe Spatlese?

I do. Also the ‘98 auslese.

what temp? I store at 50 degrees.

The 2001 Scheurebe Spatlese was probably the best wine I’ve ever had in my life.

I used to give away bottles of it as presents.

Stupidly assuming that there would be another Vintage of the Century just around the corner.

Oh well, at least I got to taste it a couple of times.

That’s more than most people.

52 plus or minus the slight swings.

As for the Mandelring Scheurebe Spatlese, the 1998 was better than the 2001. Not by much, but it was better. While I bought several bottles of the 2001 (all gone now), I had cases of the 1998 (also all gone as of 2015). It was just sitting there on the shelf. Nobody wanted it, at least in my market.

Yes the 2004

Different winemaker…very different wine.

You have much more self control than I do.
Opened my last bottle years ago. Always a fantastic wine.

Oh yes, I forgot
Still have some H-B auslese made by Scwartz

Thanks for the note. I recently picked up a few of these from auction for a song. I’m eager to try one.

Yes.

The 1998 scheurebe was great. I drank my last in 2012 “tropical but not slutty.”
I think the 1994 may have been even better.