Any reviews on ACME, 750, or K Laz in Napa for tastings?

Heading up to the Valley in May and always wanted to visit one of these retail stores that do tastings.

I’ve always thought tasting at the winery builds more connections and usually is nicer, but wanted to get some feedback from people who have done tastings at stores before.

Do they have an expectation for you to buy, even if you pay the fee?

Thanks!

ACME is outstanding. They’re very friendly and low pressure about buying. You talk about building connections, and that’s exactly what this is – except the connection you’re making is with a small group of women who have made further connections to a ton of very small producers whom you would probably otherwise not hear about. I was a member of their Under the Radar club for a couple of years and that turned me onto many of the folks whose wines I now buy every year.

I’ve heard good things about 750 and am unfamiliar with the other one.

I have heard good things about all of them as they are all relatively small and very successful operations with some of the better small producers and good connections they established many years ago hence some of the better mailing list wines they get a modest allocation of. If you develop a relationship they will have a bit Realm for example with most of the line up except maybe a few bottles only or none of To kalon or top cuvees where production is lower and scores are insane.

I have talked to all 3 as they were all referred to me by various small popular wineries as being places that might have their wines. Hence all three I have phoned, and were professional friendly and knowedgable. I have been in sales forever so recognize superior service immediately.

I am very familiar with 750 wines and have done business with David the owner several times good portfolio and excellent service. he does have some names you might know as well as some more obscure stuff that you might not know that is quite good. Not a store that has a huge selection or wines from around the globe, not their business model, K and L does that fine. Their niche is specializing in a nice selection of the local wineries primarily. A+

This. I’m a local and I shop here often. They carry a lot of allocated wines so the selection changes often. Lots of cutting edge stuff, new projects, low production lots. The staff is awesome, no pressure, more opportunities than winery tasting and for the most part labels too small to get time with.

Kerrin who owns K Laz is very knowledgeable and friendly as they get. She came through Denver a few years back for Aspen F&W and was able to make time to stop at a friend of mine home for a private tasting of some the wine she carries, plus her own label Laz made by Celia Welch, most might know her from making Scarecrow. Though her wine was still very young I definitely see the potential and bought some.

Do they sell anvils? Roadrunner feed?

You can’t go wrong with any of these 3. All have excellent reputations and have been in the business for a long time.

I have done the tasting at K Laz twice now and would definitely recommend it. Both times were with Garret, he’ll work with you to make sure that you get to try unique things to your taste and will make sure to not serve you things which you already receive on allocation for example. I just did the centurion this past week (Christmas present from wife) at the CIA at the Copia location with food pairings, if you go this route know that they give you a lot of food, enough for two people to eat a good lunch per food pairing. If you’re interested I can give you more details about my tastings.

Thanks everyone for the insightful comments! I’ve decided to stop by 750 wines this trip, and will hit up ACME and K Laz in July and November respectively!

Frank - ACME is right down the street from 750 Wines so it may be worth visiting both. Both teams are amazing in adjusting the tasting to your preferences. Also doesn’t hurt to stop by Pane Vino to get some of their solid breadsticks IMHO haha

My wife and I have done tastings at ACME and look forward to our tasting with them next month. We really enjoy visiting there and appreciate their collection of eclectic small project wines. Even if you don’t have an appointment for a tasting chances are there is something on the table they’ll Coravin for you while you look at the wall of wines you may have never heard of.