TN -- 2015 Kutch Sonoma Coast Chard

A rare bottle that I seem to be drinking off myself----I had half-formed plans to share this at someplace or other and opened in advance to give it some breathe, but those plans didn’t materialize. So instead, I have been tracking it over several days. I must say, this is starting to approach, if not equal, the 2014 for its brilliant-style vivacity and acidity. I don’t think I have ever had a more savoury chard in all my time----purity of lemon and mineral and very definite sage notes, with some saline at the sides makes for a very interesting creature. And, 2 days out, there is some hinting of more tropical fruit side. I am now quite intrigued to follow this over another day or two.

Mike I have really enjoyed the Chards that Jamie has been producing. The 2014 is very special. Sounds like this one is right there. Thanks!

Sounds really nice, Mike.
I echo Don’s comments. I liked the '15, just a notch or two below that amazing '14, but still a very fine Chardonnay. Thanks for the check-in!

Mike, thanks for posting. I wish folks took more time to post TNs, as that fuels the discussion here.

Your TN reminds me that it might be a good time to open another one of these. Between Rhys and Kutch, this is where my Chard $$$ of my budget is now going forward.

• 2015 Kutch Chardonnay Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/14/2018)
    Hard to think that I have let nearly a year pass without trying one of these again. A bottle showed up last night to our dinner and like the bottle from April 2017, our bottle last night was superb. Same smoky nose, reminding me similarly of his 2014 SCM. A mix of pear, lime skin, pippin apple, flint with the intensity of the acidity working in tandem with the fruit. With air and the temp warming the glass, there is a creaminess that emerges that supports the finish, along with lime and a light vanilla bean. Jamie has just 2 vintages of Chard released, from 2 different AVAs, and yet both vintages show a class and style that leaves me impressed with his Chards. For round $50, I’d argue that he is competing with and beating stuff that is 1.5-2X in price. Jamie, keep doing your thing.

Posted from CellarTracker

Yes, I think it’s changed from last January, Frank. Tonight, 4 days out? “uncompromising” is the word that comes to mind. The level of intensity and acidity you cite is off the charts. There is some sacrifice right now, in elegance and suavity, which may or may not come with more bottle time, but you can’t ignore this wine in your mouth, that’s for sure. A wine that reminds me of its maker—edgy, intense and confident, especially as to what its identity is.