Greatest Expressions of Sangiovese?

Curious as to the Mob’s thoughts. What are your top 5 expressions of Sangiovese, and why? Can be less than 100%.

Pergola Torte? A Chianti like Rancia? A particular Brunello? A Vino Nobile?

Just had a bottle of Gaja’s 1990 Sugarille this past Thursday. Gave new meaning to how great Sangiovese can be. I can’t say I’ve had a more serious or intellectual bottle of Brunello and as good as the 2001 Valdicava is this is just on another level.

I have never had a bottle of Fontodi Flacianello that I did not adore.

For me, Soldera stands alone, in purity, ageability and distinction from any other, as well as for pure enjoyment.

Jonathan

Yes. Soldera, Poggio di Sotto and Pergole Torte stand at the top of my Sangiovese league table.

This is a fun and tough question!

For me, it may look something like this:

Le Pergole Torte
Flaccianello
Biondi-Santi
Soldera
Poggio Di Sotto

that said, it was hard to leave a ton of things out (especially top Chianti producers). But, I think if someone was to ask me what would be the producers that express the pinnacle of the grape, I think those are the ones that do that (assuming no budget restrictions).

An added wrinkle, if I may, Noah…some in the sub $100 category, too, please. This is a blind spot for me, but I’m starting to dip my toes in.

At a level of its own: Soldera

Just below: Montevertine, Cerbaiona (pre-2010), Salvioni, Poggio di Sotto (pre-2007)

There are quite a few Chianti that I also like a lot but these mentioned above are at the very top

Cepparello.

1 Like

Il Carbonaione

1 Like

Here, Rancia absolutely comes into play as does Fontarollo for an IGT Sangiovese.

For Brunello in the under $100, I’d say:

Fuglini
Conti Costanti
Stella Di Campalto
Lisini

Thank you Steve and Keith.

curious why pre-2010 Cerbaiona only? I had a killer 2011 and 2013 recently. sad that they have switched hands though.

I would definitely say Montevertine, Cerbaiona, Felsina (cheat and say Rancia and Fontalloro), Biondi-Santi, ad Fontodi.

The big ones have been mentioned. I’d add that I’ve had some sensational bottles of Percarlo.

1 Like

Not as elite as other names mentioned, but Selvapiana’s Buerchiale vineyard is very impressive to me.

1 Like
  1. Montevertine LPT
  2. Montevertine Rosso
  3. Felsina Rancia
  4. Castellare I Sodi
  5. Cerbaiona Brunello
    Some of the best aspects of Sangiovese in balance - restrained dark cherry fruit, leather and herbs

For a good wine at a good price the Casanova di Neri Brunello white label is a nice option as is Il Poggione Brunello.

Don’t have a lot of experience with higher end Sangio, but does San Giusto a Rentennano Percarlo belong in the conversation? It’s one of the best that I have tasted…

1 Like

Agreed. A very rare case where one winery really does seem to have fully captured the magic.

Matt, first I must correct an error I made, it should have bern pre-2011, as I believe the 2010 is a great wine cut along the same lines as earlier great vintages. To me the vintages after 2010 has been marked by a richer fruit and with less weightless elegance than this wine used to have. Maybe it’s just climate change and I still bought the BdM from the estate in 11/12/13 but I have worries that they will never reach the same heights as earlier vintages.

Flaccianello and Cepparello would be two of mine. Il Carbonaione might be in the top five, as well. I’ll have to give some thought to the other two.