TN: 2014 Vietti Castiglione - pretty but very lightweight

Braised some lamb shanks and checked out a test bottle of the 2014 Vietti Barolo Castiglione. It definitely showed as a lighter vintage, and compared with the 2014 Produttori del Barbaresco side by side, there was little difference in color or weight. Not terribly shocking, given that 2014, while not “great” anywhere, was reportedly better in Barbaresco.

Anyway, the Vietti was aromatically beautiful, with all the red fruit and floral I could have asked for. It just seemed to be too easy drinking for Barolo - too easy drinking for around $50, when the 2015 Vietti Langhe Perbaco carried more substance the last time I drank it, at half the price. It needed more depth, and at least a bit more structure. The PdB Barbaresco, at $35, held its own with the Barolo as well, aromatically and on the palate, so a better value in the vintage.

Had the 2013 yesterday from half bottle. Nice and fragrant. Purchased more 5 minutes after opening.

I got a few 14 in half bottle; I have quite a bit of the 13 as well.

So different from the 2010, which is great.

Anyone have comments on how the '10 is drinking now?

Very different vintage

No kidding, that’s why I said it was great. [snort.gif] Can’t answer Jonathan’s question though as I haven’t had it lately.

Anyone try one lately ? The notes on CT and from AG seem pretty positive especially if given some air time. I picked up a few at a nice price to help keep me away from the 16’s.

I have. It was frankly disappointing, especially for the money. It drank like a $19 Langhe Nebbiolo rather than a $50 Barolo. Though I’m a strong Vietti Loyalist, the 2014 is one to avoid.

The 16 vintage is the one to search for. Nice stuff.

Got plenty of that one and other 16’s. I’m back buying 12-14 vintages for early drinking while the 16’s sleep. the 16 is already excellent but will let it sleep for 4-5 years.

I had it a little over a year ago:

8/30/2019 Pop and pour. Fairly open and expressive on the nose with lots of cherry and tar. More of that on the palate with tons of length and a late building fine but powerful tannin. If you have several, it’s drinking very well now but not going to peak for 5+ years.

You were disappointed in the 2010? I think that’s what he was asking about.