La Paulee: did anybody go to the gala dinner?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
ERPark

Re: La Paulee: did anybody go to the gala dinner?

#51 Post by ERPark » March 12th, 2019, 9:29 am

John Chapman wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 7:13 am
John Kapon was halfway down our table on the other side. At some point early on, I looked over and saw him unwrapping and eating what appeared to be a cheesesteak!
Told directly to me from someone I know who was seated at Kapon’s table during the Gala Dinner:

“He brought two pastrami sandwiches to the dinner, and didn’t appear to touch any of the courses that were served.”
GEN3

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#52 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » March 12th, 2019, 10:27 am

Jürgen Steinke wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 9:10 am
Mark,

I participated at bacchanal events too and what I experienced was not always something in line with adoring fine wine. To say the least. I reacted because Ray complained about an After Show party when people were obviously drunk but reported from an event he thought was superb when 2 bottles of wine per person min. was the average consumption. I guess people didn't look much better then.
Jurgen,

Where did I complain?

And yes, you are "guessing".

Also, would you like to guess how many bottles were corked or off? Guess how much wine was shared with people at surrounding tables? Guess how much was shared with staff?
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Ian Dorin

#53 Post by Ian Dorin » March 12th, 2019, 10:59 am

ERPark wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 9:29 am
John Chapman wrote:
John Kapon was halfway down our table on the other side. At some point early on, I looked over and saw him unwrapping and eating what appeared to be a cheesesteak!
Told directly to me from someone I know who was seated at Kapon’s table during the Gala Dinner:

“He brought two pastrami sandwiches to the dinner, and didn’t appear to touch any of the courses that were served.”
I'm so doing that the next time I go. It's simply not filling enough!
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by K John Joseph » March 12th, 2019, 11:32 am

ERPark wrote:
John Chapman wrote:

bring your own food when you know plenty of people at a grand wine event might have reason to poison you.
J0hn-J-K4ne

ERPark

#55 Post by ERPark » March 12th, 2019, 11:55 am

K John Joseph wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 11:32 am
ERPark wrote:
John Chapman wrote:

bring your own food when you know plenty of people at a grand wine event might have reason to poison you.
Don’t hate the player, hate the game.........
GEN3

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by R. Frankel » March 12th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Markus S wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 5:22 am
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 3:39 pm
Much prefer the "alt" dinners.
And how do you get invited to these?
As I wrote above, it’s good old fashioned networking and footwork. One of the events I attended was put on by a retailer I buy from. A month or so before La Paulee week I emailed my reps inquiring about events. The others were with wine loving friends, many of whom I’d met before, here and on other wine boards.
Rich Frankel

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Craig G » March 12th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Kevin Porter wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 8:01 am
John Chapman wrote:
It was really seitan and cashew cream but he authenticated it to be a cheesesteak.
champagne.gif
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#58 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » March 12th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Markus S wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 5:22 am
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
Much prefer the "alt" dinners.
And how do you get invited to these?

My dinner was with good friends whom I regularly drink and dine.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Mark Y » March 12th, 2019, 2:22 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 10:27 am
Jurgen,
Where did I complain?
And yes, you are "guessing".
Also, would you like to guess how many bottles were corked or off? Guess how much wine was shared with people at surrounding tables? Guess how much was shared with staff?
Ray, i think people should always be free to do what they want, and the event you went to sounds awesome.
I think what Jurgen was referring to was this quote:
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
Never been to a Gala Dinner and I'm relatively sure I've never missed an evening I would enjoy.
Once went to an after-gala party and 90% of the people who had been to the Gala Dinner could barely speak or stand.
Followed by:
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
Joined six friends at Marea and drank three DP's, two Cristals, seven Grand Cru Lefalives and seven Roumier Bonnes Mares.
Let's be serious, 18 bottles is a lot for 7 people.. no matter how much shared with others/staff/corked (i mean for the avg party, 8 bottles is quite a bit for 7 people)... so the quotes probably sounded contradictory to Jurgen.
Nonethelss, who cares.. it was fun.. good company, all is well. [cheers.gif]
Y.e.

ChrisStags

#60 Post by ChrisStags » March 12th, 2019, 6:52 pm

As John said Kapon ate the sandwich the whole meal. At first we thought it was a cheese steak, but it may have been pastrami. The jury is still out, but as John would attest to the wines at our table were fantastic except for a few. We seemed to have an incredible amount of mags both white and red. Annways, nice meeting you John and make sure to ping me when you are in SF.
Stagnaro

WvanGorp
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by WvanGorp » March 13th, 2019, 8:17 am

I went to the gala dinner at La Paulee a number of years ago. It just wasn’t for me and I haven’t returned. In a way I felt the orgy of great wines kind of disrespected the wine (not to mention Rudy with a jeroboam of what was presented as RC). After attending that event I said to myself give me a nice La Tâche with a friend and a quiet dinner and I’ll be more content.
Wilfred van Gorp

GregT

#62 Post by GregT » March 13th, 2019, 8:37 am

T@ntina A wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 9:34 am
oh no worries - I wasn't offended. I thought what you said was funny.
And good for you. You're a welcome addition. This thread is a perfect example of things you should not take offense to! Some direct information, some casual needling, some opinions on marginally related issues, some old grievances given new life, some moralizing, some fun, and eventually the thread will peter out or veer off into something totally unrelated.

Basically, it's like this:

Some folks drink some pretty good wine.
Some folks drink some wine they think is pretty good.
Some folks drink wine other people think is pretty good.
Some folks don't like the wine or prices others are OK with.
Then they argue about it.
Eventually they all grow to loathe each other.
Then they go on to another topic.

That's why we all come here. Please stay around and contribute!
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Markus S

#63 Post by Markus S » March 13th, 2019, 9:34 am

GregT wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 8:37 am
That's a great summation of Berserkers in a nutshell!
$ _ € ® e . k @

T@ntina A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by T@ntina A » March 13th, 2019, 9:51 am

GregT wrote:
T@ntina A wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 9:34 am
oh no worries - I wasn't offended. I thought what you said was funny.
And good for you. You're a welcome addition. This thread is a perfect example of things you should not take offense to! Some direct information, some casual needling, some opinions on marginally related issues, some old grievances given new life, some moralizing, some fun, and eventually the thread will peter out or veer off into something totally unrelated.

Basically, it's like this:

That's why we all come here. Please stay around and contribute!
Thank you - nice summation. Hopefully not too many people loathe each other over discussions on wine [pillow-fight.gif]
I have enjoyed all the information on this forum and def plan to stick around and contribute where I can. This week all I have been doing is acquiring and haven't had time to taste anything yet.

Peter Chiu

#65 Post by Peter Chiu » March 13th, 2019, 9:56 am

Markus S wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 9:34 am
GregT wrote:
That's a great summation of Berserkers in a nutshell!
+ 2...... [pillow-fight.gif] [drinkers.gif] grouphug [dance-clap.gif]

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by scott c » March 13th, 2019, 1:10 pm

R. Frankel wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 9:56 am
Wine of the week? Very kind people did share some wonderful bottles. Tops were 1996 Rousseau Chambertin, 2007 Coche Ensegniere, 1993 Leroy Beaux Monts and a 2001 Clos de Tart. Sadly the first three only afforded modest pours.
Was this from a mag at the Zachys dinner?
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

Sh@wn N g

#67 Post by Sh@wn N g » January 23rd, 2020, 10:06 am

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post, but is anyone planning on attending this year? Has anyone ever gone alone for the dinner before and is that a bad idea. I'm not a misanthrope, just don't have too many friends willing to blow that kind of $.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by J a y H a c k » January 23rd, 2020, 10:11 am

No. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=166253

For those who want to drink good wine on Wednesday night without the stuffiness and at a substantially reduced cost, so you can spend more on the wine, you are welcome to join us. Much to my surprise, there are more people interested in Cali cults than GC Burgundy. I may be forced to bring GC Burgundy and a bottle of bubbly - 2006 Pol Roger Churchill.

PS - when we did this about 6 years ago, we had people from all over the world join us at Keene's and it was a blast.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Greg K » January 23rd, 2020, 11:34 am

ShawnNg wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 10:06 am
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post, but is anyone planning on attending this year? Has anyone ever gone alone for the dinner before and is that a bad idea. I'm not a misanthrope, just don't have too many friends willing to blow that kind of $.
I've done it, and it's fine. Paulee is pretty friendly, and you're likely to make friends as the wine starts flowing. Especially if you bring a bottle or two that you can pour for other people; that generates discussions. I'd suggest walking around and pouring it rather than passing it down the table - generates opportunities to speak to people.
Greg Kahn

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Mark Golodetz » January 23rd, 2020, 6:23 pm

Greg,
I am not sure I would agree with that. I think your first obligation is with the people on your table and the winemaker, who will be pouring for you.

After table pours, you usually end up with around a third of a bottle, enough to table hop and make new friends.

A couple of years ago, we had a weird experience at Burdigala, the Bordeaux equivalent of Paulee. We were all from the same group apart from a couple of guys who were included to fill the table. Because there were over 16 people at the table we all brought magnums, La Mission 1985, Figeac and Pichon Lalande 1970 etc. Very good wines, and our two strangers were happy to drink them. Halfway through the meal, they disappeared with a couple of bottles of Mouton, sharing with other tables, not pouring for anyone at the table. Not much you can do, but it really left a bad taste.
ITB

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by John Morris » January 24th, 2020, 11:32 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 6:23 pm
Greg,
I am not sure I would agree with that. I think your first obligation is with the people on your table and the winemaker, who will be pouring for you.

After table pours, you usually end up with around a third of a bottle, enough to table hop and make new friends.

A couple of years ago, we had a weird experience at Burdigala, the Bordeaux equivalent of Paulee. We were all from the same group apart from a couple of guys who were included to fill the table. Because there were over 16 people at the table we all brought magnums, La Mission 1985, Figeac and Pichon Lalande 1970 etc. Very good wines, and our two strangers were happy to drink them. Halfway through the meal, they disappeared with a couple of bottles of Mouton, sharing with other tables, not pouring for anyone at the table. Not much you can do, but it really left a bad taste.
Ouch. I guess they didn't get invited to any of your events, did they!
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Mark Golodetz » January 24th, 2020, 12:32 pm

I actually did not see this as they were at the other end of the table and I heard about it next day. Also I have no idea who they were, so it is possible that I met them afterwards.

This was one of the few exceptions I have come across to the rule that most wine people are pretty cool.
ITB

Ham W

#73 Post by Ham W » January 29th, 2020, 6:27 pm

Great discussion and interesting as I am going to the gala dinner with my wife this year for the first time. Does anyone have an idea as to a particular dollar value, so to speak, of wine that one should bring? In other words, are folks digging deep in the cellar and bringing old treasures or are we more dependent on the luck of the draw for the producer with whom we are seated? As I am relatively new to burgundy appreciation, my cellar is not particularly deep but I’ve picked up some pretty good older wines.

On a different tack, we are traveling from Atlanta. Any concerns regarding flying older wines up in the suitcase and expecting them to be good the next day?
Ham W i l l i a m s

Andy Sc

#74 Post by Andy Sc » January 30th, 2020, 4:33 am

I do large tastings for intellectual purposes, to learn more about a wine, region or vintage... truly educational and not without hedonistic pleasure of course. But I stopped doing larger lunches or dinners with too many wines. Hence, no La Paulee for me. It always saddens me to see great wines go in the context of such large events or too many people at the table. The best wines change with every sniff and sip over hours and hours, revealing new sides, new aromas every minute. You can not even remotely catch that magic at such a big event or with too many people at the table.
Andrew Scheppler - I make wine disappear

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Kirk.Grant » January 30th, 2020, 5:10 am

Ham W wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 6:27 pm
Any concerns regarding flying older wines up in the suitcase and expecting them to be good the next day?
For someone like me, that would be a nightmare, I'm sensitive to sediment and often (not always, but often) find it detracts from my enjoyment of aged wines. So putting a wine in a suitcase that's going to be thrown around, moved, jostled, etc would just shake up all the sediment in the wine. This means cloudy old wine. If I were to go to one of these events I'd have to buy from Chambers or someplace local to then hand-carry it as best I could to the event.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by scott c » January 30th, 2020, 6:51 am

Kirk.Grant wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 5:10 am
Ham W wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 6:27 pm
Any concerns regarding flying older wines up in the suitcase and expecting them to be good the next day?
For someone like me, that would be a nightmare, I'm sensitive to sediment and often (not always, but often) find it detracts from my enjoyment of aged wines. So putting a wine in a suitcase that's going to be thrown around, moved, jostled, etc would just shake up all the sediment in the wine. This means cloudy old wine. If I were to go to one of these events I'd have to buy from Chambers or someplace local to then hand-carry it as best I could to the event.
I'm pretty sure you can ship your bottles to the Paulee office a few weeks in advance, too, but don't quote me on that.
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

Ham W

#77 Post by Ham W » February 29th, 2020, 5:17 pm

Ok. So how do you handle all the wine? Lots of spitting?
Ham W i l l i a m s

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Greg K » February 29th, 2020, 8:31 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 6:23 pm
Greg,

Mark, I was seated at a huge table with only a couple people I knew and most (if not all) of the wines from the other side of the table never made it to me. So by the time my wines arrived (On the later side for the whites) I didn’t think simply passing them down made sense. There’s no question that everyone on your side of the table should get a pour first. It wasn’t about keeping the good wines for myself - I didn’t bring anything all that spectacular by Paulee standards.

If everyone is sharing, I completely agree it would b extremely rude not to pass the wine to everyone first. I should have made that more clear.
Last edited by Greg K on February 29th, 2020, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Kahn

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Greg K » February 29th, 2020, 8:32 pm

Ham W wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 5:17 pm
Ok. So how do you handle all the wine? Lots of spitting?
Yes.
Greg Kahn

Ham W

#80 Post by Ham W » March 1st, 2020, 7:36 am

Is it Black tie preferred or just coat and tie? Long dresses?
Ham W i l l i a m s

chetkern

#81 Post by chetkern » March 1st, 2020, 9:39 am

It is not Black Tie but be sure to where a dark suit for obvious reasons. There will be well coiffed women wearing both long and short dresses.

Always table dependent on what you get to share and the winemakers are providing wines depending upon whom is seated at your table. Generous friends and other Somms working the room can be counted on to share. This being the 20th Anniversary of the event, it will be a very fun and special event. As to the after party/ies if you are invited/included that’s another whole other dimension of event/s as will be the other events during the week in celebration and the run up to the La Paulee NY 20th.

Return to “Wine Talk”