La Paulee: did anybody go to the gala dinner?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

La Paulee: did anybody go to the gala dinner?

#1 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 10th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Been to a couple and really enjoyed them, but not able to get to this one.
ITB

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: La Paulee: did anybody go to the gala dinner?

#2 Post by Howard Cooper » March 10th, 2019, 3:48 pm

I do not plan on paying $1500 a person plus wine for dinner until I win the lottery. And, I doubt I would go even then.

But, each person should do what they are comfortable doing. Just about every bottle of wine any of us buys would be considered highly extravagant by most people. As would the cars, watches, razors, bikes, etc., that people here buy, so I am just discussing what I feel is not worth it to me and not making any judgment about anyone else.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 10th, 2019, 4:11 pm

I’ll probably go the next time it’s in nyc

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Greg K » March 10th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 3:48 pm
I do not plan on paying $1500 a person plus wine for dinner until I win the lottery. And, I doubt I would go even then.

But, each person should do what they are comfortable doing. Just about every bottle of wine any of us buys would be considered highly extravagant by most people. As would the cars, watches, razors, bikes, etc., that people here buy, so I am just discussing what I feel is not worth it to me and not making any judgment about anyone else.
Well, maybe a little bit. neener

I went this year for the first time, and enjoyed it, though I'm not sure I'll go again. It IS very expensive. I definitely had some wines I otherwise never would, which was wonderful. For instance, I'd never had any DRC before, and I have to say - the 69 Grand Echezeaux I tried was pretty, pretty amazing. Also, fortunately both the bottles I brought were sound which is always a worry.
Greg Kahn

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Greg K » March 10th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 4:11 pm
I believe it's staying in NYC for 2020.
Greg Kahn

Kelly Walker

#6 Post by Kelly Walker » March 10th, 2019, 8:52 pm

I went to an alt-Paulee dinner. Much better value.
White wines matter

p. raghib

#7 Post by p. raghib » March 10th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Greg K wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 8:13 pm
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 4:11 pm
I believe it's staying in NYC for 2020.
Correct. 20th anniversary
cheers'

-paul r.

Mike C.

#8 Post by Mike C. » March 10th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Kelly Walker wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 8:52 pm
Was this just with friends or are there any organized by retailers/distributors/etc. that people can attend?

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#9 Post by Richard T r i m p i » March 11th, 2019, 7:18 am

Kelly Walker wrote:
Plus the glassware is typically better and there's no rush to pour out (or guzzle) something lovely....on the off chance that the next pour will be lovelier.

The Gala Dinner is an experience. I'm not in a hurry to repeat it, yet it's unlikely that I'll ever again encounter as many world-class Burgs in one evening. $1500 is the entry fee. The high end Burgs are what you bring and share.

RT

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 11th, 2019, 7:47 am

Unless things have changed, you are seated with one or more of the winemakers who bring older wines from the cellar.

I agree that the dinner is an experience, and the second time I took precautions. Booked a hotel within a couple of blocks of the event, took a nap after the tasting, and drunk very sparingly. And still, I was plastered at the end, and only the first two pages of my notes are coherent. I do remember a bottle of Rousseau 1990 as being rather fine, but in my notes it is recorded as a rather spidery squiggle.

It was the only time I ever met Rudy. He shared a very tired Romanee Continue 1928, and a double magnum of 1979 La Tache which was excellent. Both genuine I am pretty sure.
ITB

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#11 Post by Richard T r i m p i » March 11th, 2019, 7:57 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 7:47 am
Unless things have changed, you are seated with one or more of the winemakers who brings older wines from the cellar.
Mark, that's how I remember it. The wines they bring are usually quite good...probably not the treasures one might expect for a $1500 entry fee. The food was fine, definitely not the focus. If you want to share and enjoy better wines with other attendees, I'd recommend bringing some of your own for that purpose.

RT

T@ntina A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by T@ntina A » March 11th, 2019, 8:28 am

Kelly Walker wrote:
What is an alt Paulee dinner? Is this something other restaurants put on during the same time? How was it? What did you drink?

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Jay Miller » March 11th, 2019, 8:36 am

Tantina Allaire wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 8:28 am
Kelly Walker wrote:
What is an alt Paulee dinner? Is this something other restaurants put on during the same time? How was it? What did you drink?
It's when people in town for La Paulee make a reservation at a restaurant and bring Burgundy to drink.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 11th, 2019, 9:00 am

The alt Paulees are fun, more relaxing and plenty of time to linger over a great bottle. Not so the gala, which is an exercise in excess, and frankly a place to compare male appendages. The secret is to bring nteresting stuff that can be traded.

I could not compete with some of the people there with DRCs and Rousseau, so went old. I found a 1937 Clos de Lambrays, and a 1920s Barolet which resulted in some interesting trades. I do remember the Lambrays as showing brilliantly, but in hind sight I should have savored the bottle with close friends rather than trade.
ITB

T@ntina A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by T@ntina A » March 11th, 2019, 9:14 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 9:00 am
Not so the gala, which is an exercise in excess, and frankly a place to compare male appendages.
Uh oh I think I may fall short in the male appendages department [wink.gif]

Thanks for the explanation!
The alt dinners sound really fun. If Paulee is in NY in 2020 for the anniversary does that mean they are in San Fran in 2021?

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 11th, 2019, 9:24 am

One other thing.
Looking for the loo, I stumbled into a room with all the corked and premoxed bottles. A sad sight, the number of premoxed far outnumbered the corked, but there were still probably close to 100 bottles of incredible wines that were tasted by the sommeliers and rejected.
ITB

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 11th, 2019, 9:28 am

Tantina Allaire wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 9:14 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:
Not so the gala, which is an exercise in excess, and frankly a place to compare male appendages.
Uh oh I think I may fall short in the male appendages department [wink.gif]

Thanks for the explanation!
The alt dinners sound really fun. If Paulee is in NY in 2020 for the anniversary does that mean they are in San Fran in 2021?
Sorry about that, while plenty of women attend, it was definitely a high testosterone event with all the noise and backslapping came from the male side of the species.
ITB

T@ntina A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by T@ntina A » March 11th, 2019, 9:34 am

oh no worries - I wasn't offended. I thought what you said was funny.

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by R. Frankel » March 11th, 2019, 9:56 am

I skipped it and indeed had several wonderful alternative dinners. Definitely worth checking in with NY retailers you buy from to see if anything is planned. But my favorite dinner was a small gathering of friends, some of whom I met here :).

Wine of the week? Very kind people did share some wonderful bottles. Tops were 1996 Rousseau Chambertin, 2007 Coche Ensegniere, 1993 Leroy Beaux Monts and a 2001 Clos de Tart. Sadly the first three only afforded modest pours.
Rich Frankel

John Chapman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by John Chapman » March 11th, 2019, 10:40 am

Rich, good to meet you at the Thursday dinner!

That's one of the high points of La Paulee for me, the opportunity to meet up with people I've either never met, or see once a year, or know only online as a Berserker, of whom there were several I spent time with over the weekend.

I did attend the gala, and yes it's excessive to the point of ridiculousness, but it's another opportunity to taste with people I wouldn't otherwise meet. Dominique Lafon was our table host, and poured a lovely pair of 1991 Meursault Charmes/Perrieres. One wine I brought was an old 1961 Drouhin Vosne just in the hopes it was still alive, not only was it sound, but I was able to enjoy it with Veronique Drouhin, so another high point for me.

I do thoroughly enjoy smaller dinners with fewer wines that can be appreciated throughout a meal, but I did enjoy the gala.

p@ulbortin

#21 Post by p@ulbortin » March 11th, 2019, 1:51 pm

If you want to drink the finest wines in the world you don’t need to look further than the La Paulee Events and Gala dinner. I’ve had the very good fortune to taste all of the greatest wines from all of the top Domains with the exception of Henri Jayer over the years. You’ll have the opportunity to meet the winemakers along with a room full of fellow enthusiasts from all over the world. I only wish that I had known about La Paulee 5 years earlier.

This years highlights were drinking 1979 George Mugnerets Clos Vougeot with his daughter Marie-Christine Mugneret, 1991 Meursault Charmes & Perrières with Dominique Lafon, 1988 1993 1999 DRC Richebourg, 2000 Richebourg 1996 2009 VR Brûlée’s Meo, 1991 Chambertin Rousseau, 2004 Montrachet Ramonet, 1996 Montrachet Colin, 1998 Musigny 2002 2006 CM Amouruses Mugnier, 1947 & 1988 Bonnes Mares Ponelle & Roumier, 2010 GE Drc, 1999 RSV & other Leroy, and probably the finest old wine I’ve had 1943 Corton Leonce Bocquet mag. Cheers

Kelly Walker

#22 Post by Kelly Walker » March 11th, 2019, 2:29 pm

I have attended a number of Le Paulee. A wonderful event. But, I no longer attend any of the events. I do come to NYC for all the alt things. A whole separate thing has evolved around it. Really special dinners of small groups to savor really special wines. Alt-Paulee is now where you drink truly amazing wines in a relaxed non-big dick way. A lot of people are doing this.
White wines matter

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Joshua Kates » March 11th, 2019, 3:06 pm

R. Frankel wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 9:56 am
I skipped it and indeed had several wonderful alternative dinners. Definitely worth checking in with NY retailers you buy from to see if anything is planned. But my favorite dinner was a small gathering of friends, some of whom I met here :).

Wine of the week? Very kind people did share some wonderful bottles. Tops were 1996 Rousseau Chambertin, 2007 Coche Ensegniere, 1993 Leroy Beaux Monts and a 2001 Clos de Tart. Sadly the first three only afforded modest pours.
Yes, did a very nice alt-Paulee dinner organized by Rich, with lovely wines and company, including board member Diane Kessler (always great to taste with) and Rich's friend Aaron, who offered outstanding wine appraisals. I attended the verticals and not the grand tasting or the gala, as I am not buying a lot of current releases and the dinner is indeed a little rich for my blood; also, it seems like there is a lot of jockeying over bottles and I have never been crazy about Restaurant Daniel. (The Chicago version was fabulous, more manageable, and I would definitely go again.)
At the verticals, I found all the Leflaive Batard's poured there ('05, 01, and '94) mind blowing, and of course no need to worry about premox :). The two older Batard's were especially exciting, in part for how different they were from one another, the '94 showing more (tropical) fruit, though similar distinctive spice on the noses of both and amazing amounts of extract. On reds, the V-R Aux Brulees of Liger-Belair ('12, '10, '08) was the stand-out. Such beautiful wine with great depth and clarity; I think they show better than his Aux Reignots or even his Clos at a young age, and I was told that he only bottles these in magnum to bring to these sorts of events, no retail. On qpr for me, the Chablis of Christian Moreau was the find in whites (Vaudesir '10, '09. 05) and Didier Fornerol, mentioned by others in the grand tasting thread, was that in reds. Finally, given the coin asked, the food was rather disappointing, a small range of charcuterie and cheese and some crackers--grand tasting does way better in this respect. Still, already looking forward to 2020.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#24 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » March 11th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Never been to a Gala Dinner and I'm relatively sure I've never missed an evening I would enjoy.

Once went to an after-gala party and 90% of the people who had been to the Gala Dinner could barely speak or stand.

Much prefer the "alt" dinners.

Joined six friends at Marea and drank three DP's, two Cristals, seven Grand Cru Lefalives and seven Roumier Bonnes Mares.

I'm sure my food and conversation surpassed anything I would have experienced at the Gala Dinner and the wines I drank weren't too shabby either.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

p@ulbortin

#25 Post by p@ulbortin » March 11th, 2019, 3:54 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 3:39 pm
Never been to a Gala Dinner and I'm relatively sure I've never missed an evening I would enjoy.

Once went to an after-gala party and 90% of the people who had been to the Gala Dinner could barely speak or stand.

Joined six friends at Marea and drank three DP's, two Cristals, seven Grand Cru Lefalives and seven Roumier Bonnes Mares.

I'm sure my food and conversation surpassed anything I would have experienced at the Gala Dinner and the wines I drank weren't too shabby either.
That alt dinner sounds terrific!

Hats off to anyone that can drink 3 bottles without stumbling home!

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Greg K » March 11th, 2019, 3:56 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:

If you can put together a dinner with 7 Leflaive Grand Crus and seven Roumier Bonnes Mares, you probably don't need to go to the gala :) And I definitely agree, you get a much better appreciation for the wines in a smaller setting than you do at the gala. I realized very quickly that the winemaker sitting across from me was immediately dumping everything he didn't love, so followed his (unspoken) advice. Of course, that meant there were some things that improved in the glass I missed out on, and you simply can't wait.

I went in part because while I can bring a few interesting things, I haven't been drinking Burgundy quite that long so can't compete with those kinds of wines (I've never had a Roumier Bonnes Mares). I had a good time, though I do agree that some of things people started opening at the after party were probably unnecessary. It's always nice of people to do so, but I don't think we were even going to get much out of them.

Plus, there's the fun experience of offering some of my wine to Laurent Lignier and then talking to him about it for 5 minutes.

EDIT: Also, they definitely don't serve enough food at the dinner. I joked to one of the people sitting next to me that I was hoping not to be the first person at the dinner to get sick and he told me I definitely wasn't going to be given what he'd already seen.
Greg Kahn

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Mark Y » March 11th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
The alt Paulees are fun, more relaxing and plenty of time to linger over a great bottle. Not so the gala, which is an exercise in excess, and frankly a place to compare male appendages. The secret is to bring nteresting stuff that can be traded.

I could not compete with some of the people there with DRCs and Rousseau, so went old. I found a 1937 Clos de Lambrays, and a 1920s Barolet which resulted in some interesting trades. I do remember the Lambrays as showing brilliantly, but in hind sight I should have savored the bottle with close friends rather than trade.
How do you mean trade? i guess maybe high level how does the gala dinner work? you pay $1500 and that gets you the dinner/seat..

you then carry around bottles and trade pours with people? or only with people on your table?
what if some one brings a crappy/cheap bottle? i guess that seems like a really odd setting..
Y.e.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Greg K » March 11th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Mark Y wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 4:03 pm
Mark Golodetz wrote:

How do you mean trade? i guess maybe high level how does the gala dinner work? you pay $1500 and that gets you the dinner/seat..

you then carry around bottles and trade pours with people? or only with people on your table?
what if some one brings a crappy/cheap bottle? i guess that seems like a really odd setting..
The somms bring your bottles to you, at which point you typically pour for everyone around you and then, if you want, you can walk around other tables and pour for other people. So, for my wines, I found some people I knew (and people around them) and poured for them as well as a couple of the winemakers I'd talked to at the tasting or whose wines I buy.

The quality of the wines tends not to be an issue because there's so much wine, and a lot of people bring great stuff. Plus, the producers tend to bring very large formats.
Greg Kahn

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by John Morris » March 11th, 2019, 4:22 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:

Well, I'm glad to hear you and your friends exercised moderation.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by John Morris » March 11th, 2019, 4:23 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
It was the only time I ever met Rudy. He shared a very tired Romanee Continue 1928, and a double magnum of 1979 La Tache which was excellent. Both genuine I am pretty sure.
The R-C 1928 must have been authentic. This is the only time I've heard any report of a Rudy wine that was anything other than spectacular. I always thought that should have been a major red flag.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#31 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » March 11th, 2019, 4:26 pm

John Morris wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 4:22 pm
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:

Six plus hours, nine food courses, shared wines and one corked wine.
But I appreciate your internet sarcasm.
Thank you.

p@ulbortin

#32 Post by p@ulbortin » March 11th, 2019, 4:33 pm

The Gala Dinner is a huge tasting event to discover new wines. It may be excessive but that’s one of the goals. Unfortunately the way prices have escalated recently it may be the only way to experience some of the wines now.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#33 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » March 11th, 2019, 4:41 pm

John Morris wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 4:23 pm
Mark Golodetz wrote:
The R-C 1928 must have been authentic. This is the only time I've heard any report of a Rudy wine that was anything other than spectacular. I always thought that should have been a major red flag.
You have a bad memory.

If you haven't deleted your old PM's, go back and read the one where I sent you copies of posts I made years ago.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by John Morris » March 11th, 2019, 4:50 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 4:26 pm
John Morris wrote:
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:

Thank you.
Oh, come on! You set yourself up! But more power to you!

(If I do the calculations right, that's still three bottles per person, even subtracting the corked one.)

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by John Morris » March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 4:41 pm
John Morris wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 4:23 pm
Mark Golodetz wrote:
You have a bad memory.

If you haven't deleted your old PM's, go back and read the one where I sent you copies of posts I made years ago.
Indeed. I had forgotten. It was two years go.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Alan Rath » March 11th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Kelly Walker wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 2:29 pm
Alt-Paulee is now where you drink truly amazing wines in a relaxed non-big dick way.
It's cute that you think one is not like the other [wow.gif]
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#37 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » March 11th, 2019, 5:19 pm

John Morris wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 4:50 pm
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 4:26 pm
John Morris wrote:
[/b]

Thank you.
Oh, come on! You set yourself up! But more power to you!

(If I do the calculations right, that's still three bottles per person, even subtracting the corked one.)
Eighteen bottles divided by seven, even dismissing shared and/or unfinished wines, is less than three.

But yes, it was a lot of wine.

Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Glen Gold » March 11th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 9:24 am
One other thing.
Looking for the loo, I stumbled into a room with all the corked and premoxed bottles. A sad sight, the number of premoxed far outnumbered the corked, but there were still probably close to 100 bottles of incredible wines that were tasted by the sommeliers and rejected.
I'm curious abou this -- were the premoxed separated from the corked or was there some way to tell which was which? And can you give a guess about what that means about the ratio of good to flawed wines that night? 10 to 1? 20 to 1?

G

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 11th, 2019, 6:19 pm

No, all the wines were just put on shelves randomly. Many of the whites could have been corked as well, but there was certainly a lot more than reds. I was just struck by how many great wines were on those shelves, that were cherished for so long, and never made it. I was quite drunk at the time, and I tended to get quite philosophical.

As for how many wines were consumed that night, I seem to remember somebody saying there were 440 people there, everybody bringing multiple bottles, so figure at least 1000 bottles.
ITB

Jürgen Steinke

#40 Post by Jürgen Steinke » March 12th, 2019, 2:40 am

Ray,

you can do with your wine what you want. But you complained about an After Show party when people could barely speak and stand due to intoxication. And then you reported about a better event you did participate when the average amount per person was roughly two and a half bottles? Hmmm. Latest after 1 liter of wine it doesn't matter much what you drink. The subtleties of fine wines get lost. IMHO. The comment that some of these rare and expensive bottles weren't finished isn't a calming info either. Why wasting great wine? Sure - one can consume the leftovers the next day (if able or willing to do). But if old wine is open for so long you will not have proper quality any more.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 12th, 2019, 4:26 am

Juergen
Always a point of contention; can one appreciate multiple bottles of great wine over a long period of time, and wouldn’t one be better off just drinking a bottle per person?

I have done both, and they are two very different experiences. Every year, we put together, an Over the Top lunch, each person bringing two bottles, one major and one interesting in the range of a couple hundred dollars. The lunch would start with a pretasting of the interesting, which would last an hour and a half. Then we would sit down and enjoy the other wines. Overall the lunch lasted five hours plus, my notes were coherent, and the wines were tasted in and out of context. Some bottles were substandard, and left unfinished,but most were empty at the end.

A couple of times, I reported the tasting on the Squire’s board, and received a good deal of flak for it, most far less polite than yours. We didn’t stop the lunches, but I did stop writing about them. I got tired of trying to explain that with enough time to enjoy the wines and doing our homework a well organized event like this was a pretty complete and wonderful experience.
ITB

Markus S

#42 Post by Markus S » March 12th, 2019, 5:19 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 6:19 pm
No, all the wines were just put on shelves randomly. Many of the whites could have been corked as well, but there was certainly a lot more than reds. I was just struck by how many great wines were on those shelves, that were cherished for so long, and never made it. I was quite drunk at the time, and I tended to get quite philosophical.

As for how many wines were consumed that night, I seem to remember somebody saying there were 440 people there, everybody bringing multiple bottles, so figure at least 1000 bottles.
Ok, but this doesn't answer the question of how you knew which ones were corked and which were premoxed. [scratch.gif]
$ _ € ® e . k @

Markus S

#43 Post by Markus S » March 12th, 2019, 5:22 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
And how do you get invited to these?
$ _ € ® e . k @

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 12th, 2019, 5:35 am

Markus S wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 5:19 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:

Ok, but this doesn't answer the question of how you knew which ones were corked and which were premoxed. [scratch.gif]
I didn’t say I knew. What made you think I did.[scratch.gif] [scratch.gif]
ITB

Ian Dorin

#45 Post by Ian Dorin » March 12th, 2019, 6:25 am

I think you need to take this event within context.

For those like Ray who can go to a venue where the food is the star, and enjoy wines around it with a focused theme, that's great. It's intimate and private, big pluses.

The Gala is a truly exceptional night of wine, but if you think about the food, it's banquet style (although made by truly world class chefs) and a lot of plates go uneaten due to everyone roaming around and sharing wine. My hard and fast lesson from years past was down half a pizza before going, you'll last longer :) The true upshot is getting to try an endless amount of great wine all night if you socialize with the room, and bring killer wine to share. There is a trade off here for sure.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

John Chapman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by John Chapman » March 12th, 2019, 7:13 am

John Kapon was halfway down our table on the other side. At some point early on, I looked over and saw him unwrapping and eating what appeared to be a cheesesteak!

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Kevin Porter » March 12th, 2019, 8:01 am

John Chapman wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 7:13 am
John Kapon was halfway down our table on the other side. At some point early on, I looked over and saw him unwrapping and eating what appeared to be a cheesesteak!
It was really seitan and cashew cream but he authenticated it to be a cheesesteak.

Markus S

#48 Post by Markus S » March 12th, 2019, 8:30 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 5:35 am
Markus S wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 5:19 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:

I didn’t say I knew. What made you think I did.[scratch.gif] [scratch.gif]
Your own words : " A sad sight, the number of premoxed far outnumbered the corked" from earlier.
How could you tell, simply by looking at them, that the premoxed bottles outnumbered the corked? Either you were sniffing them OR tasting them to get that impression because you simply wouldn't be able to tell merely by looking.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 12th, 2019, 8:37 am

The number of whites far outnumbered the reds, so even allowing for some corked wines at the same percentage as the reds, one assumes the overage were premoxed
ITB

Jürgen Steinke

#50 Post by Jürgen Steinke » March 12th, 2019, 9:10 am

Mark,

I participated at bacchanal events too and what I experienced was not always something in line with adoring fine wine. To say the least. I reacted because Ray complained about an After Show party when people were obviously drunk but reported from an event he thought was superb when 2 bottles of wine per person min. was the average consumption. I guess people didn't look much better then.

Return to “Wine Talk”