TN: 2010 Schloss Lieser Niederberg Helden Riesling Großes Gewächs

2010 Schloss Lieser Niederberg Helden Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/10/2019)
I first tried this wine seven years ago, and it was much too severe. Patience won out for a change, and going back to it now, there has been a significant transformation. It’s still brightly acidic, but the aromatic and palate elements have opened and developed to supplement the bracing structure. Pineapple, lemon zest, a touch of cashew and high toned florals lay atop a bed of minerals. It’s now a fascinating, rather than punishing wine. The acids are still not for the faint of heart, but it’s a great pick me up!

Posted from CellarTracker

thats good to hear. i have strong hopes for 2010 GG’s. at first they were undrinkable but the intensity!!!

I just found some 2010 Donhoff ND and NH GG’s that i’m excited to investigate. This year may be something special if the “severe” dissipates

I never found the Nahe wines to be as severe as their Mosel counterparts.

i was under the impression the pick of wines from 2010 vintage were the sweet end of the spectrum and not GG. I purchased a mixed case of the Auslese ( incl Schloss Lieser ).

That’s still true IMO, but the performance of this particular wine was noteworthy.

I don’t remember ever trying this wine from any vintage. Thomas makes so many wines now. I only buy his Doctor of the GGs.

I do not buy Doctor from anyone. I refuse to pay the upcharge.

Ok. I’m happy to pay for Liesers versions, they are really excellent.

I find the Thanisch wines variable but often good value at auction. Lovely people too. :slight_smile:

Thanks David–tracks as I might hazard a guess for 2010s—haven’t had any Germans yet from that year, but love the raciness and underlying fruit and balance of the Alsatian and Austrian Rieslings from that year.