TN: Haut Brion vs La Mission Haut Brion dinner with Bernard Burtschy

HAUT BRION VS LA MISSION HAUT BRION DINNER WITH BERNARD BURTSCHY - Taberna del Alabardero, Washington D.C. (3/6/2019)

Bijan organized another exceptional wine dinner. This time, we were comparing Haut Brion vs La Mission Haut Brion. Mr. Bernard Burtschy, the wine writer for Le Figaro and a great friend to Bijan and I, was in town for the heart delight Heart’s Delight Wine Tasting & Auction. He lead the dinner and provided a lot of useful information. Eleven of us got together at Taberna del Alabardero to drink 8 vintages of Haut Brion and 7 vintages of La Mission Haut Brion. The tasting menu was good and complemented the wines very well. The wine service by Maria was exceptional. The great classic private room was a big plus once again.

It was really fascinating and educational to compare the styles of the two properties. Bernard pointed out that the style of Haut Brion has remained constant where the style of La Mission Haut Brion has changed significantly over the years. His point was quite evident in the line up. The 64 and the 70 La Mission were mostly red fruit driven classic clarets. The 82 and younger wines seemed to be more concentrated than the Haut Brions. For my palate, I prefer the finesse and balance of Haut Brions over the power and concentration of La Mission Haut Brions. What was remarkable in all the wines were exceptional freshness, impeccable balance and incredible finesse. All the wines, except the 64 La Mission Haut Brion which was slightly musty, were excellent. The 90 and younger remained incredibly youthful yet so pleasurable to drink. The 00 Haut Brion was simply perfect.

Bernard with with very French mannerism.

Bernard and Bijan

Damages

My futile attempt at a new rating system. Higher rating is better only for the green highlighted items.

Champagne
The 05 Dom was delightful. The 09 Dom was dense and not too expressive.

Dominant Fruit: Lemon curd and baked apple
Balance: 9
Expressiveness: 9
Complexity: 10
Ripeness: 9
Purity: 8
Intensity: 8
Bead Size: 10
Generous Mousse: 7
Precision: 8
Acidity: 10
Concentration: 9
Maturity: 10
Modern (Oak): 0
Condition: 8 (96 pts.)

• 2005 Dom Pérignon Champagne - France, Champagne
    This has lightened up. Really floral and sweet, delicate, fresh and delightful. I slightly prefer to the 09 served next which seems to be deeper and riper, and shutdown a bit.

Dominating Fruit: Lemon zest and pear
Complexity: 6
Purity: 10
Intensity: 7
Bead Size: 8
Generous Mousse: 8
Acidity: 7
Concentration: 8
Modern (Oak):0
Maturity: 1
Condition: 10 (95 pts.)

• 2009 Dom Pérignon Champagne - France, Champagne
    Floral and sweet like the 09 but more weight and deeper. Also, the fruit is riper than the 05. Seems a bit shutdown.

Dominating Fruit: Lemon and pineapple
Balance: 8
Expressiveness: 7
Complexity: 7
Purity: 9
Ripeness: 10
Bead Size: 9
Generous Mousse: 9
Precision: 7
Modern (Oak):0
Maturity: 1
Condition: 10 (94 pts.)

White Burgundy
Very Californian nose but uniquely Burgundian palate.

• 2007 Bouchard Père et Fils Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru
    Really ripe and modern in the nose with coconut, vanilla and butterscotch. The palate is surprisingly precise, lean and focused. Modern nose and classic palate.

Dominant Fruit: White peach and apple pie
Expressiveness: 8
Complexity: 8
Purity: 6, very ripe and strong oak
Silkiness: 8
Acidity: 9
Concentration: 7
Modern (Oak): 7
Maturity: 8
Over Ripeness: 1
Condition: 10 (93 pts.)

64 & 70

• 1964 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Fully mature red fruit driven nose with strong sous bois. There is a hint of dirty damp cellar smell that prevents from being pure. This is a classic claret. Wishing to try a clean bottle one day.

Dominant Fruit: Cherry
Complexity: 9
Ripeness: 7
Purity: 5, only because the dirty smell
Silkiness: 8
Acidity: 8
Tannins: 3, still showing a bit which is surprising
Over Ripeness: 0
Condition: 10 (91 pts.)

• 1970 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Exceptional concentration but a bit one dimensional. Dominating black fruit and still pronounced oak/cedar. This particular bottle seems still youthful but not sure how this will evolve in ten years. The 70 Haut Brion has been inconsistent for me.

Dominant Fruit: Cassis
Balance: 7
Expressiveness: 7
Purity: 7
Intensity: 9
Silkiness: 7
Precision: 6
Tannins: 6
Acidity: 6
Concentration: 10
Modern (Oak): 3
Over ripeness: 1

• 1970 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Perfectly mature claret that is drinking exceptional well. Classic LMHB with smoke/ash and peppermint.

Ripeness: 7
Silkiness: 9
Precision: 9
Tannins: 5
Over ripeness: 0

82 & 90

• 1982 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    This has reached the youthful peak. Very complex but not showing a lot of tertiary notes other than cedar. Incredibly silky, very fresh and perfectly balanced. For a few, WOTN, perhaps the best drinking at the moment. The best example.

Balance: 10
Silkiness: 10
Precision: 10
Tannins: 6
Condition: 10 (98 pts.)

• 1982 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Significantly darker and intense than the 82 Haut Brion. Bernard attributes to the low yield which was only half of the 82 HB. There is a hint of musty smell that is slightly distracting. I have preferred it to the 82 HB in the past. Big scale wine that can improve for another two decades or more, reminding me of the 61 which is a monster. A couple of the guys really love it.

Dominant Fruit: Crème de cassis and dry black cherry
Intensity: 10
Tannins: 7
Condition: 7 (94 pts.)

• 1990 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Expressive, hedonistic perfectly ripe black fruit, sensual palate. Starting to show cedar and leather. As much tertiary notes as the 82 but more youthful and intense fruit expression.

Dominant Fruit: Blackberry and blueberry liqueur
Expressiveness: 10
Maturity: 6

• 1990 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Incredibly intense nose and concentrated palate. Although very youthful, showing telltale signs of LMHB, strong tobacco, ash, smoked meat, lead pencil, flower dust and etc. Although incredibly concentrated, the dominant fruit expression is red. I slightly prefer the sensual palate expression of the 90 HB.

Dominant Fruit: Red currant and cherry.
Condition: 10 (96 pts.)

98 & 00

• 1998 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    I love the 98 HB and this time is no exception. Expressive, intense yet pure red fruit, so silky, bright acidity and still noticeable but fine tannins. Very close if not equal to the 90 and 00 versions. Drinking beautifully.

Dominant Fruit: Cherry concentrated, red currant.
Tannins: 8
Maturity: 7
Condition: 10 (97 pts.)

• 1998 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Intense inky nose, 60/40 red and black fruit. A hint of ash and wet tobacco hinting the terroir. Really impressive wine but a bit one dimensional especially compare to the refined and pure 98 HB. Can improve for another two decades or more.

Dominant Fruit: Crème de cassis, plum and red currant
Condition: 10 (94 pts.)

• 2000 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Incredibly user friendly in the most noble way! Hedonistic opulent yet perfectly pure black fruit. Silky and sensual. Perfect amount of acidity and mineral. There is a hint of vanilla/luxury oak that gives the modern impression. Love at first sight for me but some initially thinks too young but change their minds with air. Though young, perfect!

Dominant Fruit: Crème de cassis, perfectly ripe pure black fruit.
Precision: 10
Maturity: 4
Modern (Oak): 3
Condition: 10 (100 pts.)

• 2000 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Incredibly concentrated and intense wine. One of two most youthful wine of the evening, along with the 02 Haut Brion. More concentrated and powerful than the 00 Haut Brion but ever so slightly less refined. It can easily improve for another half century. Monumental wine with imposing scale.

Dominant Fruit: Intense red and black fruit, crème de cassis, cherry and plum.
Maturity: 3

01, 02 & 03

• 2001 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    As expressive and intense as the 00 but a bit angular. Perfectly ripe red and black fruit. Strong tobacco and lead pencil yet the fruit is still very youthful. Needs another decade or two to reach the peak. Excellent big scale Haut Brion. I thought the last bottle from a year ago was very polished, a bit different than the impression this time but both excellent.

Dominant Fruit: Crème de cassis and red currant

• 2002 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Expressive nose, ripe black fruit but there is a hint of green like mixing 90% perfectly ripe fruit with a 10% unripe fruit. Very concentrated and intense first impression but a bit hollow in the middle. Slightly coarse and chunky tannins. Needs another decade or two.

Dominant Fruit: Intense black fruit with a hint of red
Ripeness: 8
Tannins: 9
Concentration: 8
Maturity: 3

• 2003 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    What a difference a year makes! Just like the 01, very different impression. Bernard mentions not showing the 03 extreme ripeness and I agree. Medium expressive nose with warm and round red fruit, only a hint of 03 ripeness. This seems readier than the 00, 01 and 02. Very enjoyable.

Dominant Fruit: Ripe warm red fruit, strawberry jam and plum
Maturity: 7
Over ripeness: 3

• 2003 Château La Mission Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Warm, soft and round, silky palate. Very approachable. Surprisingly, showing bright acidity which helps to maintain good balance. Not as complex as the 03 Haut Brion. At the youthful peak but will not decline rapidly. I suspect this will develop like the 76 vintage, i.e. warm and round, a bit Burgundian with time.

Dominant Fruit: Strawberry and plum
Maturity: 9
Over ripeness: 5

Sauternes

• 2009 Château Suduiraut - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    No longer displaying fresh white fruit. Dense and deeply toned yellow fruit. A bit cloying as there is no longer fresh white fruit.

Dominant Fruit: Yellow peach and apricot.
Over ripeness: 2

As usual, a great time was had by all!
Posted from CellarTracker

This rating scale [shock.gif]

wow what a list of wines! Kevin, where is the 98 HB in its evolution?

Kevin how does the rating system work?
It adds up to 150 total points?

I need another graduate degree to figure this one out

not that difficult. 150 points are 50 better than 100. Got it?

Suduiraut adds up to 95, not 93. 03 La Mission is, I believe, 110 and 117 for 00 LMHB. Haven’t tallied others.

I’m glad to read this note on the 01 HB as I have several. DC crew always crushes.

It is still very youthful but drinking well. If you want cedar, leather and tobacco, cellar for another ten years.

I am starting to play with the system. The items highlighted in green are included in the rating system. However, there is no direct correlation to the ratings.

Obviously, high ratings for moden/oak, over ripeness can’t be good.

It is a classic Haut Brion, expressive like the 01 right bank wines.

Might take a peek on my 60th, when the wine is twenty.

The highlighted green numbers add up to 80.

Do u then add a few others. And then subtract some? Like can we walk through one row to help us understand? I’m genuinely curious.
Example. 1964 lmhb. How does that row add/subtract/multiple/divide to 91? Or do we have to involve calculus?

For now, there is no direct correlation, just relative strength compare to the others. I need to figure it out.

I initially read “list of wines” as “list of wives” and laughed my ass off.
But wow, this kind of OP makes me (once again) wish I started collecting more Bordeaux beginning in the 90s for cellaring instead of mostly Napa cabs. Nice job on that awesome lineup!

Suckling gonna be pissed!

Thanks for the amazing work and for sharing a unique experience!!

I have had only one Haut Brion, the 1990 in ~'03, and it still sticks out in my memory as though I had just tasted it.

Agreed, thanks for the once-again great notes, Kevin. I think I’ve only had the 70 HB of that list and ours was pristine and ballerina-like—for 20 minutes. Then it fell off a cliff. But beautiful for those 20 mins.

I have a 98 La Tour de La Miss to open in just over a year. I will look forward to that wine’s performance.

Thanks, Kevin, for posting these excellent notes. I don’t see how you can maintain the concentration to make all these analytical observations while drinking the wines. Mostly agree with your notes and scores. All those descriptive categories you include provide a lot of useful information to understand what the wines were like. When people have ask me about this dinner, I just direct them to your tasting notes.

As to the dinner, this was an amazing event. All the wines were in excellent condition. I was surprised by how much I liked the elegant 1964 and 1970 LMHBs. I have always been a big fan of the 1990 HB and LMHB and was not disappointed - they were my favorite pair. This was the third time in the last year that I have had the 1998 HB and LMHB side by side - I like them both a lot. I thought the 1982 HB was in a perfect place for drinking right now and although the 1982 LMHB was very impressive, it wasn’t in a sweet spot like the HB. The 2000s were both great but need at least 10 more years. I thought both the 2001 and 2002 HB were excellent representations of those vintages. As to the 2003s, I liked them both but thought the LMHB was a bit one-dimensional.

Many thanks to Bijan for putting together this memorable evening.