Dauvissat: more fruit, less briney character?

2017 Dauvissat Sechet
This nose have I never experienced in a Davissat 1er Cru.
A lot of fruit and flowery fragrances. No salt…
And the taste lacks totally the briney character of previous vintages. Reminds me more of a Raveneau 1er Cru
Will the wine change? Lets see over the next decades

Can’t answer you because they are out of my price range now ($100+/bottle), but a 2002 Sechets opened this weekend was pure class and lively as ever, salty tang included!

2015 on Saturday was quite ripe for Sechets. I guessed a Chassagne Premier from Caillerets or the like. Partly the vintage I’m sure, but whether it’s part of a stylistic shift that continued in 2017, i don’t know.

These days, I find in many/most years Chablis doesn’t taste so much like Chablis anymore, except in those lucky few “classic” years that occur now and then, like 2007 or perhaps 2014.

I have yet to taste a 2014 Chablis that didn’t hit the ‘classic’ profile to some degree, in many cases, textbook examples.

While the 2017 Dauvissat wines do possess some beautifully floral and crisp apple / citrus aromatics, they all seemed very Chablisienne and very Dauvissat in profile to me, and there have been absolutely zero changes in winemaking technique chez Dauvissat that I am aware of. Vincent compared them to his 1992s. I think you are just experiencing the expressive, charming quality that is typical of the 2017 vintage across Chablis - it is a bright, vibrant vintage but there is a sunny quality to the fruit that isn’t present in truly classic, and more austere, vintages such as 2014 or 2008. As for 2015, that is obviously also a riper, richer vintage, with more skin maturity and extract, though I still think that the Dauvissat Séchet would be quite an obvious ringer in any range of Côte de Beaune whites.

Thanks for reassuring. The wine was indeed very floral (and not briney)
Loved it. Am looking forward to taste the whole lineup later

Opened a 2015 Vaillons and had a similar reaction. Tons of fruit upfront and very little briney / sweat / old barrel flavors I am used to in just about every other dauvissat I have had. More fruit forward and white burgundy than Chablis acid. Was also very open and drinkable right away which definitely isn’t a bad thing. After 5 hours the fruit took a bit of a back seat and the typical dauvissat flavors came out so maybe it just needs time to return to form?

2014 Vaillons I opened last month was all acid and minerals and not much fun to drink. I love acidity, but it was the least friendly wine I’ve opened in some time. Tighter than a bull’s ass at fly time.

I have great hope for its future.

I think they just need time. Even Dauvissat’s 2006s are tasting more classic these days.