Recent TNs: mostly organic/biodynamic

Most of these are very highly recommended, both in their own right and as QPRs.

Famille Chassely Beaujolais “Quatre Saisons” 2016
Wonderfully complex nose opening up with time. Incredible minerality. Crushed gray stones, cola, ocean spray, tar, mild red cherry fruit. Something bitter and botanical on the nose that I can’t place. Palate and finish were a bit disjointed at first but then began to echo the nose nicely.

2010 Do ut Des IGT
Super-Tuscan. Sangiovese plus merlot and cab. Beautiful nose that had some Tuscan meat/licorice at the beginning but became more and more Bdx-like as the day wore on. Turned into a wall of dark Bdx flavors: cedar, black currant, and the slightest topnote of menthol probably from the 14% alc. Still some dark red sangio fruit in there too. On the palate, sweet with chewy tannins. Not much of a finish.

2016 Dom des Amphores “Les Iris”
100% Syrah. A bit of dark Syrah fruit and some smoke on the nose, red fruit in the mouth. Other than that, thin, muddled and a bit too acidic. Not impressed.

2016 Le Ferme Saint-Martin “Les Terres Jaunes” Beaumes de Venise
Just a terrific French country wine. Garrigue/lavender and anise on the nose. Palate has great structure and lots of chunky black fruit. Checks the same boxes as a nice cotes du Rhône, but with more rusticity and punch.

NV Terraquilia Falconero Zero
Undosed Lambrusco. Not very complex but bracingly bone-dry and with a combination of lightness and power that you really don’t expect with Lambrusco.

2000 Ch. Sociando-Mallet
Beautiful on opening with a classic Bordeaux profile but unexpectedly showed a modern side on day 2 with a little too much vanilla, wood, and mid-palate fruit for my taste. Certainly a very well made wine in a great vintage.

2014 Clos du Val
Delicious Napa cab although unfortunately made in a more modern style than what I remember from the mid-2000s vintages, which were the last I tasted. Still excellent structure and some nice pine, menthol, and dark fruit on the nose.

2012 Balazu des Vaussieres
Awesome. Nose with strawberry, cherry, licorice, warm dark spices, and a hint of forest floor. Great mid-palate sweetness without being cloying. Full, rich finish. Interesting combo of intense red fruit with dark, warmed spice. Blind, I might have called this as premier cru Burgundy, maybe Gevrey from a warm vintage - it was that good, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

2016 Domaine du Crève Coeur Séguret
Cotes du Rhone. One of the better and more memorable CdRs I’ve had, and like most of us I’ve drunk and forgotten more than a few. Beautiful sweet dark berry fruit on the nose and palate. Spicy and warm. Deep, powerful, noble tannins. Is that cinnamon on the finish? Holds its 14.5% alcohol like a boss.

2015 Matorral País
Light yet surprisingly powerful with a nice woodsy nose and refreshing acid. Interesting and very tasty. Good food wine. País is a variety that nowadays grows only in Chile, where its vines are well over 100 years old.

2015 Dom des Amphores St-Joseph “Les Mesanges.”
Awesome. Black Syrah fruit and big, rustic tannins. Chunky and powerful, but with everything clearly defined.

2017 Domaine Fresche Rouge Gorge
Nice tart red fruit on the nose with excellent midpalate weight and structure. Outstanding value for $12.

2013 Usseglio CdP “Cuvée Imperiale”
The most aristocratic wine on this list. Breeding shows in the fine, smooth tannin, the reserved yet rich nose, and the way the it expands from the midpalate to every corner of your mouth. Awfully enjoyable for a wine that isn’t showing half of what it has right now.

Cheers and thanks for reading!
Joe

Thanks for posting these TNs, Joe. Interesting set of (mostly unfamiliar to me) wines. I’m surprised that the 2013 CdP was such a complete wine, given the vintage.
Regards,
Peter

Interesting notes. Thanks. It reminds me that despite not generally caring for Grenache-based wines, I’ve enjoyed Ferme Saint-Martin’s Beaumes de Venise wines on the occsssions I’ve tried them. They are not talked about much on the Boards and in wine geek circles.

P - Thanks. I wasn’t sure what to expect from the Usseglio but was pleasantly surprised. I don’t drink a lot of CdP but my sense is that this bottling is less effusive than many other entries from the region, at least in this stage of its development.

Jayson - thanks - this was my first Ferme St. Martin wine but based on the experience I’m looking forward to trying others from the lineup.