TN: 2014 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvée Corcelette (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
IlkkaL

TN: 2014 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvée Corcelette (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon)

#1 Post by IlkkaL » March 7th, 2019, 10:07 pm

Having been a fan of Foillard for a good while, I had never come across this label before until ending up in a great restaurant in Béziers called Le Chameau Ivre. Unlike so many French restaurants with a great cellar, their wine list also indicates take away prices for most of the wines (sadly, not for the Dauvissat's). The prices are really really nice too, as this one cost only a hair over 20 Euros while a bottle of Roulot's Bourgogne Blanc was not much more at 30 € and Clape's Côtes du Rhône I believe was 25 €. All three seem fairly rare in retail in France so seeing them readily available at fair prices almost gave me goosebumps.

My girlfriend has traditionally not been very excited about the glou-glou style of Beaujolais - for example the basic Morgon's of Lapierre and Foillard - but she is a huge fan of proper Sangiovese and Nebbiolo and as such I think it is the volatility in this wine that won her over. I was totally prepared to enjoy most of the bottle myself but she actually helped herself after the first glass and praised the wine out loud ("hey, this is actually not bad at all!"). A really next level Gamay overall with a pleasantly modest 12.7 % ABV.
  • 2014 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvée Corcelette - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (7.3.2019)
    Popped and poured at cellar temp, enjoyed over 2.5 hours. Deliciously volatile (not over the top, that is) on the nose with savory red cherry fruit, stone, leather and a hint of barnyard. On the palate quite substantial without being actually big or weighty. Thoroughly savory with bright-as-hell cherry and raspberry-laden fruit, blood orange, distinct minerality and very high, mouth-watering acidity. There is lots of depth to the fruit which is downright delicious already but seems to hold plenty in reserve as well. The texture is fantastically firm, this is definitely a whole lot more serious than your entry level Morgon without sacrificing any in the energy department. Ultra-focused on the finish with also some nice bitterness to it. Majestic.
Posted from CellarTracker
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

Mikko R

Re: TN: 2014 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvée Corcelette (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon)

#2 Post by Mikko R » March 14th, 2019, 1:22 am

Kiitos Ilkka, Thanks Ilck.
M i k k o R u u h o n e n

Len Fox
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2014 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvée Corcelette (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon)

#3 Post by Len Fox » March 14th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Poured the 2014 Corcelette at my wedding on the roof of New York's NoMad Hotel in the spring of 2016. Paired with seared arctic char. The wine showed beautifully. As did my Finnish bride.
Kitos!

IlkkaL

#4 Post by IlkkaL » March 14th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Len Fox wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 2:07 pm
Poured the 2014 Corcelette at my wedding on the roof of New York's NoMad Hotel in the spring of 2016. Paired with seared arctic char. The wine showed beautifully. As did my Finnish bride.
Kitos!
Awesome! [cheers.gif]
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

Return to “Wine Talk”