Possibly the best $13 bottle

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Possibly the best $13 bottle

#51 Post by ky1em!ttskus » April 2nd, 2019, 5:03 pm

PnP one of these tonight. Jammy, pretty thin mid-palate to finish for me. Nothing amazingly special but easy enough to open for a party or casual dinner.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by John Glas » April 2nd, 2019, 7:28 pm

PnP one of these tonight. Jammy, pretty thin mid-palate to finish for me. Nothing amazingly special but easy enough to open for a party or casual dinner.
I agree. So you are not seeing this wine at 94 points? I have never thought much more than an 85 for this wine on any vintage.

Tim Heaton

#53 Post by Tim Heaton » April 3rd, 2019, 4:41 am

John Glas wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 7:28 pm
I agree. So you are not seeing this wine at 94 points? I have never thought much more than an 85 for this wine on any vintage.
that's rather the point, that one person's 94 is another person's 85. Anything from ES is something that I make an effort to avoid. Anything that JD is excited about, is something I won't drink for free.
ITB
CT: Wine-Strategies

John Kight

#54 Post by John Kight » April 3rd, 2019, 6:20 am

Eric S n y d e r wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 7:36 pm
Second, it’s always best on PnP for me, drank within the first hour. YMMV.
I don't think 3 hours of having the cork removed (i.e. "Slow-O") should have any impact whatsoever on any young, well-made wine. I may be in the minority, but I just don't buy it. The amount of oxygen that may fit in the head space between the cork and wine is tiny compared to the volume of wine and should have almost zero impact on the wine. (Even in a decanter with LOTS of oxygen, any young wine that completely falls apart in a couple of hours is NOT a well-made wine). My strong belief is that there is simply a lot of bottle variation (on top of the normal variation in individual preferences and tolerance for 'soft and mushy' wine), and the issue has nothing to do with whether someone gulped the wine down in 1 hour or over a 3 hour period.
Tim Heaton wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 4:41 am
that's rather the point, that one person's 94 is another person's 85. Anything from ES is something that I make an effort to avoid. Anything that JD is excited about, is something I won't drink for free.
I agree--this is at least half the issue. I too find JDs ratings too high across the board. Even giving his scores a 2-4 point "handicap" (knowing they are overrated), I find his ratings have, at best, no correlation to whether or not I am likely to enjoy the wine, and like Tim, I often suspect they have a REVERSE correlation (i.e. the more he likes it, the less likely I am to enjoy it).
Last edited by John Kight on April 3rd, 2019, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » April 3rd, 2019, 6:22 am

I’ve opened a couple cases of the 15 and 16 and they’ve all drank well, but it’s cergainly not impossible someone has a bad bottle.

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by ky1em!ttskus » April 3rd, 2019, 9:23 pm

I’ve figured this wine out. Pair it with Tillamook choc chip cookie dough ice cream and it’s legit. [winner.gif]

Joe Heflin

#57 Post by Joe Heflin » April 8th, 2019, 7:12 pm

Domaine des Pasquiers Sablet ‘16 is even better.

L.Cole

#58 Post by L.Cole » April 14th, 2019, 8:34 pm

I’m finishing my first bottle of this over 2 days and I like it. It’s a simple wine. Big, soft up front and drinks easily. Short, sweet finish. For the $$$ it’s good imo. I would agree with others that this is a good wine for non wine geeks. I’d give it 90 pts.
Larry Cole

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Andrew Demaree » April 14th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Sean_S wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 9:55 pm
YLee wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 5:54 pm
Opened my bottle today. Slow-ox for 3 hours. Not for me. Flabby, no complexity, not much on the nose and felt almost as if I was drinking wine mixed with bit of water. Very boring wine. Definitely not the best $13 wine.
Definitely not a 94 point. I gave it a 83.
Maybe it's bottle variation.
Sounds like the ones I have had. A bit jammy, flabby, no complexity. I'll take a DOCG Chianti Classico any day for that money....

Sean
Not Classico (it’s from Rufina), but I just picked up more 2016 Selvapiana Chianti at my local store this weekend for $13.65/bottle. It’s been my favorite sub-$20 red over the last 6-8 months.

Jim Fortin

#60 Post by Jim Fortin » April 16th, 2019, 10:02 am

Finally opened up one of the 2016 vintage: I/we (my wife and I) enjoyed the wine, especially for the price, however, like some other people noted earlier, it was not at all complex and definitely lacked structure and mouthfeel. However, I would buy it again for the price! I enjoyed it and I know it would be a great party pleaser with friends and family. Thanks for the recommendation!

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Josh Grossman » April 16th, 2019, 10:40 am

I bit on some too. It seems like a great example of what extended maceration (42 days) adds to a wine. My first bottle seemed to have a bit more acetic acid than I wanted.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by J a y H a c k » April 16th, 2019, 1:32 pm

It's the Las Rocas of the second half of this decade. Let's just hope it doesn't end up in the same place.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Scott Brunson » April 16th, 2019, 5:49 pm

ky1em!ttskus wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 5:03 pm
So much this.
We've vacationed in Canet quite a few times and love the wines of the region. These Lafage wines are simply mass-produced, Solomon oaky/sweeties for the the American palate.
I will admit that I will buy a handful every now and then, but I'll take Nola's Veleta wines ahead of these every day of the week.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » April 16th, 2019, 5:59 pm

I have another bottle of the 16 open tonight, still drinking fantastically.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Ron Slye » April 16th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Scott Brunson wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 5:49 pm
ky1em!ttskus wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 5:03 pm
So much this.
We've vacationed in Canet quite a few times and love the wines of the region. These Lafage wines are simply mass-produced, Solomon oaky/sweeties for the the American palate.
I will admit that I will buy a handful every now and then, but I'll take Nola's Veleta wines ahead of these every day of the week.
Oh that is a useful comparison. I think Veleta is a few dollars more, but only that -- and such wonderful wines. The problem with her wines as I dont feel I want to waste them on people who don't appreciate good wine. But perhaps I should view that as an opportunity to educate them about something different.

Return to “Wine Talk”