Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5356
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#1 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 7th, 2019, 6:04 am

The British merchant invited several in the trade and a number of critics to this tasting. If they (the critics) haven't come out with their own tasting notes, I am sure it is in the works.


https://www.farrvintners.com/blog.php
ITB

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19190
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#2 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » March 7th, 2019, 7:32 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 6:04 am
The British merchant invited several in the trade and a number of critics to this tasting. If they (the critics) haven't come out with their own tasting notes, I am sure it is in the works.


https://www.farrvintners.com/blog.php
A good read, always a fun retrospective at this 10-year mark. Always surprises me to see some critics praising the classic wines like Cheval much in the same way they tout Pavie and Troplong. I bet on 2010 and 2008 over 2009, but have slowly been adding in a few stalwarts, like Leoville Barton, which was also praised in this tasting. I liked the praise on Cantermerle, I have a few but really loaded up on the 2010. Can still be found under $50. I'll track some down. Le Gay seems interesting, too.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2743
Joined: July 19th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#3 Post by A. So » March 7th, 2019, 7:36 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 7:32 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 6:04 am
The British merchant invited several in the trade and a number of critics to this tasting. If they (the critics) haven't come out with their own tasting notes, I am sure it is in the works.


https://www.farrvintners.com/blog.php
A good read, always a fun retrospective at this 10-year mark. Always surprises me to see some critics praising the classic wines like Cheval much in the same way they tout Pavie and Troplong. I bet on 2010 and 2008 over 2009, but have slowly been adding in a few stalwarts, like Leoville Barton, which was also praised in this tasting. I liked the praise on Cantermerle, I have a few but really loaded up on the 2010. Can still be found under $50. I'll track some down. Le Gay seems interesting, too.
Some very fine wines on both sides
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

User avatar
Brian Thorne
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 134
Joined: May 28th, 2009, 9:37 pm
Location: Northeast U.S.

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#4 Post by Brian Thorne » March 7th, 2019, 7:44 am

Nice article, thanks for sharing. 2009 was the last vintage of Bordeaux that I bought heavily in (I still see several of my Premier Cru '09 futures as "pending" in CT, I should delete them but I can't bring myself to do it) and am pleased to see/read how they are evolving in bottle. Really hoping these are the modern day equivalents of the 1990 vintage, which I absolutely love for current drinking.

crickey
Posts: 307
Joined: August 3rd, 2009, 2:59 pm

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#5 Post by crickey » March 7th, 2019, 9:08 am

Neal Martin has said he will publish his notes soon.

I thought it was interesting that two different tasters (I've seen other participants' blog posts), including the one from Farr, thought that the 2009 Cos was one of the stars of the tasting. I will be interested to see Neal Martin's review, since in the past he has not been a fan of it.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5356
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#6 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 7th, 2019, 9:20 am

Having recently retasted it from half bottle, it was as a big, rich anonymous wine, with a slightly sweet edge. Personally as in 2010, I disliked it.
ITB

User avatar
Marc Frontario
Posts: 2357
Joined: May 6th, 2010, 4:00 am

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#7 Post by Marc Frontario » March 7th, 2019, 9:28 am

Once Pavie was mentioned as one of the better wines, the tasting lost most/all of its credibility [snort.gif]
Find something you love....and let it kill u

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5356
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#8 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 7th, 2019, 9:53 am

When I changed computers I lost pictures of John Gilman tasting 2009 and 2010 Pavie. You could see he disliked the ‘09, but that was nothing compared to the look of absolute horror that he had with the 2010.

Talking of John, his note on the Cos 2009 is a classic.
ITB

JAKE H A N C O C K
Posts: 27
Joined: February 15th, 2015, 5:50 pm

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#9 Post by JAKE H A N C O C K » March 7th, 2019, 10:03 am

crickey wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 9:08 am
Neal Martin has said he will publish his notes soon.

I thought it was interesting that two different tasters (I've seen other participants' blog posts), including the one from Farr, thought that the 2009 Cos was one of the stars of the tasting. I will be interested to see Neal Martin's review, since in the past he has not been a fan of it.
My guess is he rates it 94, says it’s a high quality wine but stylistically not for everyone.

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15314
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#10 Post by Howard Cooper » March 7th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 9:53 am
When I changed computers I lost pictures of John Gilman tasting 2009 and 2010 Pavie. You could see he disliked the ‘09, but that was nothing compared to the look of absolute horror that he had with the 2010.

Talking of John, his note on the Cos 2009 is a classic.
Loved his note. Wish he still reviewed Bordeaux
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4763
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: MA

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#11 Post by Doug Schulman » March 7th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Marc Frontario wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 9:28 am
Once Pavie was mentioned as one of the better wines, the tasting lost most/all of its credibility
I was thinking that too, not of the tasting itself, but of this person's opinions of the wines.
Mark Golodetz wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 9:53 am
Talking of John [Gilman], his note on the Cos 2009 is a classic.
I can imagine!
ITB - retail sales and education

User avatar
PHuff
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 454
Joined: January 31st, 2010, 5:19 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#12 Post by PHuff » March 7th, 2019, 5:29 pm

There must be a helluva lot of Berserkers hitting that link, as it won't open for me........their server traffic must be too high..........:)
Paul

Matthew Hemming
Posts: 282
Joined: May 8th, 2010, 2:46 am
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#13 Post by Matthew Hemming » March 8th, 2019, 12:14 am

Marc Frontario wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 9:28 am
Once Pavie was mentioned as one of the better wines, the tasting lost most/all of its credibility [snort.gif]
I'm a member of this panel tasting and was part of both the 2015 and 2009 reviews this year.

I gave the Pavie a respectable enough score - it's blind, remember - but it was thoroughly out-classed by Canon for me in terms of St Emilion. Overall, the triumph of Latour has been pretty widely discussed but my own top scores were an astonishing Ausone and an equally beautiful Haut Brion. The quality of the top wines in 2009, though, was jaw dropping and splitting them was extremely difficult. Needless to say, I am very much looking forward to next year's tastings of 2016 and 2010.
ITB

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 552
Joined: November 16th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#14 Post by Jim F » March 9th, 2019, 4:14 am

For better or for worse, I mostly stayed out of the 2009 bordeaux game. I recall not liking the pricing at a time when I was being very, very cost conscious. Somewhere in my cellar in a screwed shut wooden box I have beychevelle, branaire and cantenac brown, and that may be it. I guess I will go find them in a couple/ few years and see what I think!
Jim Freeman

User avatar
Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 558
Joined: August 12th, 2011, 4:44 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#15 Post by Julian Marshall » March 9th, 2019, 8:11 am

Jim, I don't know what the market is like in the US, but in France most of the wines can be found for good prices, sometimes less than EP, so you didn't miss much!

User avatar
Brian Thorne
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 134
Joined: May 28th, 2009, 9:37 pm
Location: Northeast U.S.

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#16 Post by Brian Thorne » March 14th, 2019, 7:26 pm

I saw both Neal Martin and Lisa PB released their notes on the 2009 Bordeaux today from the 10 years on tastings. They both mentioned a worrisome amount of bottles that showed signs of premature oxidation, which is concerning! Lisa also made a general comment about several wines that seemed to be going over the hill, but didn’t call them out.

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15314
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#17 Post by Howard Cooper » March 15th, 2019, 4:57 am

As a general rule, I have not really liked 2009s, although there are ones like Montrose that have been quite good. Many of the wines to me taste too flabby, not enough acidity. In general, my favorite vintage of recent years has been 2005, although I would like to taste more 2016s.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 562
Joined: February 25th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#18 Post by Glen Gold » March 15th, 2019, 8:15 am

Brian Thorne wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 7:26 pm
I saw both Neal Martin and Lisa PB released their notes on the 2009 Bordeaux today from the 10 years on tastings. They both mentioned a worrisome amount of bottles that showed signs of premature oxidation, which is concerning! Lisa also made a general comment about several wines that seemed to be going over the hill, but didn’t call them out.
Holy cow. I don't subscribe so I can't see exactly what they say, but am very curious if that clusters around an appellation or if it's more wide-spread.
Avatar = Jeremy from Peep Show.

matthias h
Posts: 5
Joined: March 8th, 2017, 11:14 pm

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#19 Post by matthias h » March 15th, 2019, 8:35 am

the link in the initial post reads:

"We started off on the right bank with our first stop being Saint Emilion. There was a great variation in wine-making styles here and one imagines that picking dates were varied too. The wines were certainly not uniformly great and there were some issues with volatile acidity, over-ripeness and oxidation at a few Chateaux."

that might be part of an answer, although there might be others.

myself, I didn't experience too much 2009ers (most are still sleeping), but none of them was over the hill.

matthias
matthias homann

User avatar
Brian Thorne
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 134
Joined: May 28th, 2009, 9:37 pm
Location: Northeast U.S.

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#20 Post by Brian Thorne » March 15th, 2019, 10:12 am

From the 10-year tasting reports of Lisa and Neal re: 2009 Bordeaux...

"A number of wines across varieties and communes seem to be prematurely oxidizing." LPB
"Especially at the Southwold tasting, I was not the only person concerned about the number of bottles showing signs of oxidation" NM

James Billy
Posts: 720
Joined: November 10th, 2016, 6:53 pm

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#21 Post by James Billy » March 17th, 2019, 3:43 am

Brian Thorne wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:12 am
From the 10-year tasting reports of Lisa and Neal re: 2009 Bordeaux...

"A number of wines across varieties and communes seem to be prematurely oxidizing." LPB
"Especially at the Southwold tasting, I was not the only person concerned about the number of bottles showing signs of oxidation" NM
Maybe they had been open too long? Double decanted too long ago? 'Slow oxed' for too long? Not kept cool enough after opening?

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15314
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#22 Post by Howard Cooper » March 17th, 2019, 5:23 am

James Billy wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 3:43 am
Brian Thorne wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:12 am
From the 10-year tasting reports of Lisa and Neal re: 2009 Bordeaux...

"A number of wines across varieties and communes seem to be prematurely oxidizing." LPB
"Especially at the Southwold tasting, I was not the only person concerned about the number of bottles showing signs of oxidation" NM
Maybe they had been open too long? Double decanted too long ago? 'Slow oxed' for too long? Not kept cool enough after opening?
or too many of them were picked from overripe grapes.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19190
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#23 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » March 17th, 2019, 7:21 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 5:23 am
James Billy wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 3:43 am
Brian Thorne wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:12 am
From the 10-year tasting reports of Lisa and Neal re: 2009 Bordeaux...

"A number of wines across varieties and communes seem to be prematurely oxidizing." LPB
"Especially at the Southwold tasting, I was not the only person concerned about the number of bottles showing signs of oxidation" NM
Maybe they had been open too long? Double decanted too long ago? 'Slow oxed' for too long? Not kept cool enough after opening?
or too many of them were picked from overripe grapes.
She may have had too much kitten fur in her mouth.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

crickey
Posts: 307
Joined: August 3rd, 2009, 2:59 pm

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#24 Post by crickey » March 18th, 2019, 7:44 am

I went carefully through Neal Martin's notes. He included all of his notes from different tastings (Farr, BI and chateau), sometimes three for the same wine. One thing that struck me was how many wines showed differently between the different tastings, particularly with flaws or "non-representative" bottles. Lots of "?" or tentative ratings. Pavie Macquin actually had two bad bottles, each earning a "?". D'Yquem didn't get a "?," but only because he more or less cheated: the first bottle was bad at the tasting, so he went for a second one that was proper.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

User avatar
Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 562
Joined: February 25th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#25 Post by Glen Gold » March 18th, 2019, 10:17 am

The notes on bad bottles of 2009s are interesting to me because, as I mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago, I had some bottles of wine in my garage that came out cooked -- even though it never got crazy hot in there. And guess what? One case was 2009 cru bourgeoise -- de Fieuzal, La Tour Martillac, Monbousquet -- stuff like that. I haven't gone through the whole case yet, but I'm wondering if those were predisposed to having issues.
Avatar = Jeremy from Peep Show.

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 30825
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: Farr Vintners retastes 2009 Bordeaux 10 years on.

#26 Post by Neal.Mollen » March 18th, 2019, 10:58 am

Interesting. I did not buy a lot of 2009 (almost none, actually) but I was not planning on drinking what I had bought for a very long time. Now I am beginning to think that might not be the best strategy
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”