Clever marketing at Pontet Canet

A really good way to get rid of off vintages. I was wondering if someone was ever going to do this, and if so, would this become a new channel to sell Bordeaux.

Collectors Cases from Pontet Canet.

Each six bottles OWC case contains one bottle of each of these vintages, including the two back to back 100 pointers:

2008 (96 RP)
2009 (100 RP)
2010 (100 RP)
2011 (93+ RP)
2012 (93 RP)
2013 (90-92 RP)

They are available at the very attractive price of £550 each In Bond

on the retail level, Rare Wine has been doing this for years. Most (or at least many) of their emails are multi-vintage sets, some very highly rated and others much less so.

a smarter strategy would be to find/identify those bordeaux lovers that prefer the style and aspects of a parker 93 point wine over a 100 point wine, such as myself and likely many others.

given the scale and volume involved, that would be a very smart move. this bundling aspect diminishes the brand because it pre-supposes that certain wines are lesser than others when stacked like this.

$800 USD at Plucky Wines.

pre-arrival

Thank you. Forgot that.

I think the idea of offering a vertical is quite clever allowing people to taste various vintages and see for themselves the impact of different seasons.

How much of a discount, if any, is that compared to buying those at retail individually?

There would have to be a substantial discount for me to consider something like that.

$775 on JJ Buckley. Arrives this winter.

My sister and I are thinking of sharing a case for a cousin’s wedding gift. Cool box and something original and fun.

No bad marketing, but 550 in bond comes easily to 700 GBP incl. … that´s 800+ € …
For instance the 2013 PC is a wine I certainly do not need … the (90-92) RP points are very generous … I would rate it below 90 …
also the 2011 is not worth 93p for me … but the 2012 is slightly better.

WS search shows the 100 pointers at around $200 and the others $90-$115. So call it about $800 to buy separately.

I actually think this how they will eventually have to sell futures, in a rational world. That actually moves some of the weather/vintage risk to the buyer, and thus ought to be worth some kind discount, like how EP used to be priced.

I got a guy locally selling these at 750+ tax. Can’t decide if it’s worth it.

If you weren’t going to buy these wines in the first place, I don’t see why buying it as a 6-pack is so much more enticing at ~800, the discount doesn’t seem all that significant, though you do get the provenance guarantee as well as a cool OWC that will collect dust. Plus, you get the honor of buying 2013 Bordeaux.

Right, you basically have to back out the 2013’s retail value at the outset because it’s not a wine almost anyone would otherwise purchase. The value it adds to the set approaches zero.

I saw this. If I were still buying Bordeaux the inclusion of the off vintages would be a non-starter for me.

Well you all have made this an easy one. Thank you and god bless.