TN: 2017 E. Fuligni (Cottimelli) Rosso di Montalcino Ginestreto

• 2017 E. Fuligni (Cottimelli) Rosso di Montalcino Ginestreto - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Rosso di Montalcino (2/27/2019)
    {winery visit} Absolutely remarkable Rosso wine. Blind, I’d say Brunello, moreover, I’d say high-quality Brunello. Superb med>med+ texture, unending acidity that caresses and lifts, not cuts. Fine, sweet tannins, and a med+ finish. Honestly, this exceeded all expectations, and is (after tasting here in Montalcino for the past 15 days, including 4 at Benvenuto Brunello) easily in the top 10% of the 2017 rosso wines I have tasted. For my palate, anyway. Totally brilliant wine. highly recommended

Posted from CellarTracker

When it’s good it’s really good. I had three bottles of the 2013. Two were corked and one of those is sitting on my counter right now.

The third bottle was outstanding. If they’d all been like that, I would have loaded up.

Italy not only has the highest rate of corked wines, it’s got to be double or triple the rate of the next highest place. Just in my personal experience. No idea why, and no agenda or motive in saying that (I deeply love Italian wines and Italian wine regions).

I’m a big fan of Fuligni. I liked the Ginestreto from a few vintages ago and went through several bottles, though I didn’t give it nearly the level of praise offered by Tim for the 2017. I’ll have to go check this out.