Krug 164 or 165 (plus close-to-Aulani suggestions)?

For current enjoyment, which would you open?

Heading to Aulani in a couple weeks with my family and my wife and I are going to be able to get away for a nice, kid-less dinner.

Any restaurant suggestions (within a couple minutes) of Aulani to pair with the Krug? We enjoyed Monkey Pod two years ago. I assume more has popped up?

[cheers.gif]

I just opened the 164 back in November and it was breath-taking! One of the best Champagnes I’ve had in the last year. I can’t wait to open the next one…later in September.

165!

I vote 165 also.

Right now I think 165 is more “enjoyable” than 164, especially depending on the context. If you want a more intellectual experience and have time to sit with it, 164 is fascinating, but outside of a tasting setting 165 is showing more (IMO)

165eme is spectacular- go with that one. It has an unusual degree of florality at this stage. The 164eme is settling down, but still very tight. Not such a problem at first, but after a couple of hours it gets really tight and lemon-y in the same way the 1996 vintage Brut was all lime acids at release unless you left it open for a few hours.

The 165eme ended up being quite rare BTW- it was only sold in 4 marketplaces, and so if you are interested in trying every edition over time- may as well take the opportunity on 165eme while you can. As a future library release, to the extent it happens, the price will only go up.

Krug is great and all but Monkey Pod Mai Tai’s are next level…

Enjoy!

This hits close to home. Just got to Aulani yesterday. Will be hitting monkey pod in a few days. I haven’t had the 164 but I would guess that one won’t be as open as the other.

Just returned. Noe at the Four Seasons was my favorite dinner. Mina’s Fish House has a great Happy Hour (get the cauliflower).

Roy’s is near the golf course.

AMA AMA wine menu in case you need it
2CF4BC23-64EA-465C-98B1-DC5133B4EF3D.jpeg
D65CD210-7769-44DF-B97A-473BDB3D5BCE.jpeg

Thanks, Yong! Reservation already made at AMA Ama. :smiley:

No problem. The expensive wines have marginal markups.

Went to Aulani with two other families last year and walking to the Four Seasons next door for their Sunday brunch (La Hiki) without the kids was great. We also enjoyed dinner at Noe (even with the kids). We happily paid the corkage fees at both meals.

Bumpity

Monkey Pod Kitchen
2AE45998-3276-4FF2-AEE7-9BD722D1C578.jpeg
FBE27250-7062-4839-A8A7-D18224DDC80F.jpeg

Lapierre Morgon for 64 looks attractive

Michael - you’re right. Not too bad of a markup. What are your thoughts on any of the bubbles at 50% off?

It’s very hard to read the details but heisdeck or Laurent Perrier at 50% off those prices doesn’t seem awful.

Okay cool. Those are the only two I recognized.