TN: 2001 Emidio Pepe Montepulciano d'Abruzzo (Italy, Abruzzi, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo)

• 2001 Emidio Pepe Montepulciano d’Abruzzo - Italy, Abruzzi, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo (3/6/2019)
    Wines from this producer always amaze me. This was wonderfully backward. Still extremely primary with dark fruit on the attack for an eighteen year old wine with a very much present tannin/acid finish. I think this has a lot of life ahead. I think in another 5-10 years this will be even more beautiful. Lovely bottle.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice, John. My favorite vintages for Pepe are 75, 85 and 95. We used to joke that 5s are his best years. Check out Valentini as well, who makes a white Trebbiano, a red Montepulciano and a rose Cerasuolo - all of which are breathtaking.

One holiday week, we drank a 6 pack of Valentini’s Trebbiano off the list at 2 Amys Pizzeria in Washington DC, never to be forgotten.

Rome, in the winter, is Valentini Montepulciano hunting season.

Sheeet… :astonished:

Couldn’t agree more.

https://www.grandibottiglie.com/en/344_valentini?mc_cid=476d228f70&mc_eid=ee3110f013

Wow, Claus. Thank you for that link. That’s some selection. Think I’ll have to give in to my son, who wants us to go to Torino because of Ronaldo and Juve!

That’s had to be one awesome weekend champagne.gif

2001 is a great vintage. Write me if you need some old wines of valentini and pepe