TN: 2015 Proprietà Sperino Uvaggio

• 2015 Proprietà Sperino Uvaggio - Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Coste della Sesia (3/1/2019)
    {Tuscany} At lunch today; my highest possible buy recommendation. This begins as Premier Cru, and moves into Grand Cru Burgundy by the second glass. Elegance, personified. One of the most stunning noses on any wine in 2019, and I’ve come across many hundred. Alto Piemonte brilliance, wow!

Posted from CellarTracker

Big fan of this winery, especially the Lessona bottling. Will be on the lookout for this as it is released into the USA.

+1 Also a big fan here. Thanks for the note, Tim! This just makes me want to do another Alto Piemonte offline…

I recently opened a bottle of the 2010 and found it fiercely tannic and will wait a few years before I try that again. On the other hand, the 2008 Antoniolo Gattinara consumed alongside it was in a very good place.

Surprised. I opened a San Francesco or Osso San Grato (can’t remember which at the moment) last year and it seem unresolved. Was hoping for better things, which I’m sure will come out with age.

Markus,

For what it’s worth, it was the “regular” gattinara.

I’m not sure I’d say premier or grand cru, but the 2013 was certainly excellent. A bit pricey at $30, though, I thought.

Yeah, I know what you were talking about, but usually these ‘track’ somewhat similar to each other.

To be clear, this is not premiere or GC Burgundy; obviously. But the thrill that often comes with sound examples of those wines, can also be found here. The nose took me off my feet, the palate kept me off my feet.

Doug, I hear you on the 2010. However, this wine, at least a week ago when I tasted it as a pop n pour, was as open as it sounds your 2010 was closed.

Re: the Antoniolo wines, with which I have a long history, this 2015 Uvaggio brought me more thrill/pleasure, than all of the Antoniolo wines I’ve had put together (those with < 15 years of age, anyway).

They are different beasts. I receive pleasure from both producers, but there is no need to debase the experience by calling it ‘Burgundian’. champagne.gif

Grabbed a few to try.