John Shafer Has Passed Away

Just saw the story . . .

RIP

Very sad. I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years back at the winery. They were preparing for some large family party and he happened to be walking the grounds. A really classy individual who had great vision.

I realize the spelling is different from yours, but sometimes families spell things differently. Was he any relation to you?

A real gentleman, who made some damn good wines. I will never forget a dinner with him at Keens in nyc, maybe 2000 or so, at which he poured the 1978 with dinner.

Now thats a guy who loved a full life !!

Sad to hear. Saw him and Doug once at a tasting years ago.
Agree, a real gentleman, someone who did it his way.
Will be tasting at Shafer again in a couple of weeks.
RIP.

Nope, not at all. Just someone who I respected and whose legacy will live on for a very long time.

Cheers.

Looking forward to tasting at Shafer in September. Never met John but I’ve heard he was a class act. RIP

A shame - briefly met/shook his hand this past June at the winery. Certainly not long enough to judge one’s character, but definitely seemed like a gent as others have referenced.

RIP

Met him briefly at a event at the Four Seasons. Very nice man

I too had the opportunity to meet him just a few years ago. The stars aligned and he, Doug, and Elias all visited us while we were tasting at the winery. Gentlemen all.

wow…just got email from the winery as well. had opportunity to meet him several times at the winery. was going to take '89 Château Chasse-Spleen for dinner tonight but found bottle of '99 Shafer hillside to take instead to honor his life
RIP

Have enjoyed buying wines from the Shafers for several years. I enjoy receiving the emails, the videos and the wonderful stories about the winery and the extended family. There is a sense of civility to everything they communicate. I can also state that they take great care of you when visiting the winery and tasting their wonderful wines. His son Doug is a gentleman. All that must have begun with Mr. Shafer. He was a man in full. God bless the family.