TN- 2017 Willi Schaefer - the entire range except for the auction wines

This afternoon, a small group of us gathered in Dallas to taste through the entire range of 2017 Willi Schaefer wines that were released for retail. We had hoped to add the auction bottlings, but they are in still transit- and as it turned out that might have been a good thing.

I opened all of the bottles on Friday evening around 9PM, gave them an aggressive double decant and then left them open until midnight. Even by that point, they were all still little acid bombs- almost blistering with lemon driven acidity. Opened them again at 8AM the next morning, another double decant around 11 AM when they showed little movement, and left them open until 2:00 when I packed them up for the tasting.

But even so, they were for the most part quite monolithic today. For anyone with past tasting experience of Willi Schaefer, there were enough hints to show just how incredible these will be with time, but the fact remains they were even more closed than the 2015s were at release. I very rarely say this, but anyone tempted to try a 2017 Schaefer young- my advice would be don’t do it unless you have 2-3 days to follow the wines, or unless you open the Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese which is the only one currently showing much of the nuance yet to come.

2017 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett

pale yellow color, ripe and inviting nose, pears, apples, soft mineral edges, blood orange, on the palate luscious at first but leading into a very muted palate with a tight and incredibly long finish, while at a bit harsh at first opening- after all the airing and decanting a rounded and deep acidity, with time some pear and apple notes developed on the palate but overall this remained quite close to the vest. The scale here is exceptional- when the details emerge this should be magnificent.

(****), 2027-2050

2017 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Kabinett

pale yellow color, a more grand nose than the Graacher Himmelreich but also less defined at this point, hint of blueberry, edgier stone notes, orchard fruits, on the palate a quite pretty wine yet very much closed down and primary offering few details, great length and even after all the decanting the lemon-drive acid finish on this still had quite a cut to it, with time a racy orange note develops. As with the Graacher Himmelreich, the overall scale here is substantial and this should blossom into a rare beauty, even by Schaefer standards, in due course.

(****)+, 2027-2050

2017 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spatlese

pale yellow color, intense almost sweaty nose, grey river gravel smoothed over and settled to a near perfectly polished surface, otherwise slightly honeyed and placidly primary, on the palate very sleek, a veil of honey and acids concealing a substantial- yet refined- midpalate, slight hints of wildly tangy blood orange on the incredibly long finish. The least giving of the Spatlesen today, but that little bit of orange on the tail end was like a flash of white lightning over a calm nighttime desert plain. As with the other wines in the Schaefer stable this year- this has tremendous promise.

(****)+, 2032-2060

2017 Willi Schaefer Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese

pale champagne color, soaring and ethereal nose, quite aloof but the intricate structure is showing more on this than any other 2017 Schaefer in today’s tasting, a dew drop laden web of honey and minerals, high toned white peach, on the palate again very primary and absolutely dazzling all the same- showing the roadmap of what is to come even if all the little savories and other details are still in hiding, honeysuckle notes, peach, pear, superb length with a lime-driven acid finish that is a bit more classic in style than the more rounded acid tones of the rest of the Spatlesen, splendidly succulent- it just sinks into the palate. If you are going to open one young- this is the one to test drive. Marvelous.

(*****), 2030-2050

2017 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spatlese #10

pale yellow color, on the nose honeysuckle, pear, white peach, apple blossoms, on the palate just as primary and reserved as the rest of the range but still showing a bit more of the depth yet to come than the others, effortless in its way, rose petals, very long finish laden with soft and rounded acids. Superb potential. Side note- for anyone still in the market for these, I do not know what production levels were in this scarce vintage, but in practical terms this is the 2017 Schaefer that is the most difficult to find in the US market.

(*****), 2030-2050

2017 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spatlese #5

pale yellow color, on the nose a broad and soft kaleidoscope of gently honeyed fruits, still very primary and undefined but a grand variety is clearly present, rose petal, sweet earth, on the palate spectacular with blaring stone notes and an array of undefined fruits forming a formidable midpalate core, very long stony finish with honey laden acids, as with the 2017 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling ‘Rotlay’ recently tasted- despite its primary presentation this shows every indication of being truly magnificent in time.

(*****), 2032-2050

Great notes!

Thanks Tom, these were all pretty tight back in September and seem to have closed since.

The auction versions were pretty special too. I hope they turn up.

Appreciated for the great notes. I had the GD Kab last month, more expressive than yours but no doubt it needs many more years in the bottle to really show.

Excellent notes Tom, thank you for sharing. Useful for me as I own some of these wines.

I think the first vintage I ever tasted of Schaefer’s wines were his 1985s. I have never found these wines easy to drink young. But, they age extremely well.

Ok this just made me run out and get the Kabs. A perennial buy for me, can’t explain yet why I had not grabbed them.

In magnum I hope…

Nah, I’m not like you stodgy British guys, I drink these mid-week, young and fresh, with seafood dinners! It’s like Kool-Aid.

So a magnum of it is even better.

Jump on Schaefer mags if you see them. They are relatively rare.

I can see buying German Kabinetts and Spatlesen to drink mid-week, young and fresh. Do it all the time. But, not really Schaefer for me. Too tight when young. Selbach, among others, much better to me for young and fresh.

Interesting. I know a lot of you guys like your Riesling with age, my palate for them is not quite so sophisticated. I really do like them young with crisp acidity. I drink through each release pretty much within the year of purchase. I only buy Kabinett.

Must…Resist…Temptation.

Great notes. TT is probably jealous. I’m just concerned the vintage is going to take a long time to unwind. 2018 sounds like it will be more welcoming at an earlier age. It will be interesting to hear Robert’s take on the 17. I’ve always equated Schaefer’s spine with the older vintages of Christoffel. Selbach Oster is middle ground, while Donnhoff was always the first out the door (Bueker is probably going to kick my *** about Donnhoff).

For those of you who like these with age, how many years do you like to give these? What do you see as the transformation that takes place.

Btw I’ve been experimenting with Willi’s anywhere from current release to 15 or so years from vintage. Much pleasure to be had across this age range, but haven’t had any much older ones.

Good to see that my impressions from september are confirmed.

Cheers,
Martin

I am with Robert to some extent. I do not do it with Schaefer (except with the 2016s) usually, but I do like to enjoy many Kabinetts and Spatlesen young. But now that I have more experience with the older ones, even if I do drink some things young- I make sure I have many more of the same for later too.

On Schaefer, I am still evolving on ideal drinking windows as I am at a point to taste older ones. The 2005 Spatlese Auction is just now coming into its own for example. The 2002 Auslese Auction has quite a wait however. I plan to start dabbling with some of my 07s and 08s (regular versions) from Haag and Prum soon to see how they are doing. At present, I am thinking 10-15 years on Spatlesen as a starting point- perhaps 2-3 years earlier for more forward vintages like 2014 and 2016. I do try to remind myself that 2015 and 2017 are unusual vintages in terms of scale and time needed.

Oh and Russell- no worries. All will be well. It usually takes months for the Auction wines to get here. But arrive they do in pristine shape- so far anyway.