Late summer New Zealand bush hike with a burgundy sunset finisher

We are having a fantastic late summer here in New Zealand, my 11 year old daughter loves sunsets so I packed up the family and drove 40 minutes to the secluded west coast slightly north of Auckland. The beach is called Muriwai which translates from Maori as waters end, the beach is black sand with a high iron content, there is a lookout in the hills behind the beach and that is where we headed.
The track to the lookout is around 1000 meters or 2/3s of a mile, but it starts at sea level and climbs to an elevation of 700 feet, the track is a typical New Zealand bush track which means it is about 40 inches wide and made of compacted clay complete with tree roots and other hazards.
We arrived at the lookout with the sun sinking low on the horizon, my daughter set up her Nikon camera and shot everything that moved.
I had stashed a bottle of Mongeard Mugneret Vosne Romanee 1er Cru Les Orveaux 2009 and a couple of glasses in my day pack so I pulled the cork and my wife and I enjoyed a glass of wine while we watched the sun sink beneath the waves.
The wine was young but very enjoyable, but it was playing second fiddle to the beauty of nature and the happiness of my daughter

7C5AA137-2340-46E4-9257-5B626F0186B7.jpeg

F2595BCA-0673-4F50-9AF6-A5C280CC86D3.jpeg
try it again after cropping

Looks like you’re living right, Marcus. [cheers.gif]

Wine celebrates life! What a cool story, Marcus.

Cheers,
Doug

Nice!

Well done Marcus.

Very nice!

Sweet!

Gorgeous Marcus. I had a friend of mine who visited NZ and seriously contemplated staying. Treasure you time and experiences with your child. They grow up so fast.