Napa County Legal Question: Tasting Rooms

I understand that new tasting rooms have to jump through serious hoops these days for permits and licensing.

What are the ramifications if an owner is running a non-licensed tasting room out of a residence?

[stirthepothal.gif] much?

Still early.

I would like to know.

The first rule of Fight Club…

Never mind

I can see that just as with Ray, folks will over look law breakers if it fits their respective wine agendas.

Hopefully this information (and other criminal activity) comes to light.

I’ll play [snort.gif]

If they are not ‘caught’, then nothing obviously . . .

If they are ‘caught’, my guess is that they would be fined, a cease and desist would be issued, and there would the possibility of losing their license.

It seems to me that many businesses are giving ‘slaps on the wrist’ before anything major happens.

Is there a specific reason you are asking? And yep, this certainly does sound like [stirthepothal.gif]

Cheers

Its simple. It’s a violation of both County and State laws. You risk losing your State and Federal licenses.

I would imagine a fine, a warning, a meeting with the local alcohol board. Much like selling booze to a minor. And, if you do it enough, they take your license. There might also be a loop-hole/exception for very small operations and limits to how many people per visit or per day.

Are you trying to earn your Zuccarino Junior G-Man Badge, Bill?

So stirring the pot is:

Operating an illegal tasting room?
Non delivery of a 3 liter bottle?
Theft of another individual’s personal property and selling it?

Clearly you have an agenda here. Why don’t you name names and save the drama of the leading questions?

What winery is it?

Are you implying that Ray Walker is headed to Napa?

Not at all.

Is John Fox out ?

I’ll play dumb. Every winery in the county of Napa has to be licensed to produce, store and sell wine. Not every winery can have a tasting room at their winery location because of neighbors, roads, location or large donations to certain politicians. The reverse is also true. There are a few wineries that are allowed a small number of “guests” to be served at their residence. There are a couple of “wineries” that don’t physically exist, custom crush their grapes, store offsite but keep some at their house and invite friends and maybe a couple good prospective customers to taste their wine.

If somebody is promoting tastings at their house, not approved by the County of Napa, they are in violation of the county’s “rules and regulations.” No criminal violation but subject to massive fines because the county wants the money.

If they failed to delivery wine, that’s a clear cut criminal violation, unless they claim issues during shipping. Either way, it should all be documented and insured.

So how does one contact the right individual(s) in Napa?

Asking for a friend.

Operating an illegal tasting room?
Contact the Napa County permits department to let them know in which tasting room you were illegally tasting.

Non delivery of a 3 liter bottle?
The states attorney general may be able to help here. Let them know you didn’t receive your goods.

Theft of another individual’s personal property and selling it?
The police. Let them know the name of the person that stole your goods. It will also help to show the craigslist ad of that person selling your goods.

You clearly are not familiar with the ways of Landreth.