TN: 2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Wine Evangelho Vineyard

2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Wine Evangelho Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County (2/26/2019)
Tasted over the course of two evenings, this blossomed on the second night. The classic sappy red fruit of Evangelho, supported by earthy, dark spice tones, was backed up by solid acidity and moderate tannin. As is so often the case, Evangelho is eminently drinkable. The balance certainly allows for aging, but there is no downside to opening one now. Just give it some air to let it unfurl.

Posted from CellarTracker

David thanks for opening one early as info like this is incredibly helpful to us Bedrock fans. As there are so many bottlings, that may differ in accessibility in their youth from year to year notes like yours help lower the risk of drinking a wine before it shows well. I do not have this particular bottling but that’s fine as there are too many great wines in their portfolio. Looking at my order the closest ones I have are Oakville Farmhouse, Papera Ranch, and Pato Vineyard Heritage Blends. Have you tried any of these and if so would appreciate your impressions,or if not would be thrilled with any input from others.

Thanks for the tasting note, David! I have a couple of '17’s (as well as 2015 and '16) I have been wondering when to pop.

As much as I love the Evangelho story, it’s never been my favorite Bedrock… I popped a '17 back in November shortly after they arrived, and I enjoyed it but it didn’t quite deliver the same energy and charisma as the Dolinsek right out of the gate.

Love the Dolinsek as well, but it’s a different beast.

Agreed the '14 that I opened a while back and enjoyed it If I recall it wasn’t as big as some of the others but was really balanced ymmv I will never totally understand the line up as there must be a dozen or more and always changing. That’s why the board is here. to help guide us that cant sample them all.

The 17 just showed up in my LWS, so I ran down and bought two. Don’t know why I didn’t buy any when it was allocated to me . . .
Phil Jones