Clos du Jaugueyron 2012 - Margaux

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

Clos du Jaugueyron 2012 - Margaux

#1 Post by Julian Marshall » February 27th, 2019, 3:41 am

I think some of you know this wine. I had heard of it but never tried it, so I picked up a mixed case at auction recently (2012, 2014 and 2015), plus a couple of 2014 Haut-Médocs. The normal price for the Margaux is around 55€, which put me off, but at 30€ I was up for it. Curiosity as usual got the better of me, so we tried one last night:

On opening, the fruity, floral bouquet was really impressive, but so was the tannic bite, so I decanted it for 8 hours. The bouquet was then just as intense, leaning more towards fresh redcurrant than the initial blackcurrant and spring flowers. The attack was fresh, intense and rich, with strong notes of blackcurrants and cranberries. It was still very primary of course, so not much complexity in the middle section, but the finish was long, crisp and already showing signs of Margaux dustiness. Overall, great finesse and elegance, but with an intensity to the fruit that I can only put down to the fact that it's organic, with very little sulphur added. It did spend 12 months in oak barrels, of which 70% were new, but we couldn't taste it at all.

If served blind, I would probably have guessed Dauzac, because the style is similar to a 2006 tasted recently, but the Jaugueyron is a lot better. I don't know, there is something effortlessly classy about it. It doesn't taste old-fashioned, on the contrary, it tastes very clean and modern, but with none of the extraction, heavy oak treatment and unnecessarily high alcohol. The 2012 is 12,5°, the 2014 and the 2015 are both a "shockingly" high 13°...oh, so it is possible to make modern Margaux without it being 14°? Above all, though, and I know that this is going to annoy some people, it tastes...natural and authentic.

Anyway, we thought it was great - obviously it needs another five to ten years, but you can see where it's going. In fact, even at 55€, I'd go back for more.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Clos du Jaugueyron 2012 - Margaux

#2 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » February 27th, 2019, 4:30 am

You got a ridiculously good price. The Margaux, its flagship wine, is over $100 USD on release here in the States. I've not had the new release, but the 2005s and 2000s that I have had over the last couple years are sensational. Your notes do them justice!

They always drink like a Franc de Pied to me, given that bright intensity of fruit, and I recall reading somewhere, that some of the vines in the sandy soils are indeed ante-phylloxera.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Julian Marshall » February 27th, 2019, 5:38 am

Thanks Robert - I somehow suspected this might be your kind of wine! I've never tried a FDP, but the comparison sounds right. After looking around a bit, I think though that the ante-phylloxera vines are in the bit of land next door that now makes up another geeky wine which I also got some of - Closerie des Moussis. This tiny estate is run by two ladies. It seems to be run on the same lines, with a Margaux and a Haut-Médoc, bio-dynamic with a pinch of sulphur. Certainly sounds promising and it's a touch cheaper.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Kris Patten » February 27th, 2019, 7:42 pm

This is prime property, between Margaux and Palmer.
ITB

Alex Rychlewski

#5 Post by Alex Rychlewski » February 28th, 2019, 7:46 am

I have heard good things about this wine and have one bottle of 2010 in the cellar.

FWIW, the three Cellartracker notes for that wine are an average of 90.

By the way, the Clos produces three Margaux:

Le Petit Jaug
Clos du Jougueyron
Clos du Jougyeyron Nout

Mine is the "Nout"
Which one was your 2012?

I visited their website and can find no distinction between these three wines....
If "Le Petit Jaug" is, logically, the 2nd wine, which is the estate's prestige cuvée ?

Best regards,
Alex R.

Chris Seiber

#6 Post by Chris Seiber » February 28th, 2019, 8:22 am

Cheapest bottle of this wine in the USA from any vintage is $100, per WS Pro.

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Julian Marshall » February 28th, 2019, 8:51 am

Kris, they seem to have little parcels in various locations, which probably explains why they have three Margaux, but Yes, I do believe one is between Margaux and Palmer.

Alex, the top cuvée is Clos du Jaugueyron, followed by Nout and Petit Jaug (well, I think so, anyway). mine was the Clos du Jaugueyron. The Nout normally retails for around 32€, the Clos for 52/55€ (Dubecq).

Chris, I don't have WS pro, but I had a peek at Chambers St out of curiosity, where you can find a magnum of the Nout 2014 for $117. But I've no doubt you're right about the top cuvée.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Kris Patten » February 28th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Julian,

It may have changed, but Clos du Jaugueyron used to be a 200 case cuvee from the parcel between Margaux and Palmer. It was always a great value, but nowhere close to Margaux or Palmer.

On the Pauillac side, years ago Mouton wanted to trade Fonbadet for a parcel and she stood her ground and Mouton traded a parcel 1:1 with Fonbadet, since then Fonbadet which always offered value got incrementally better.

Tons of fun stories in Bordeaux.
ITB

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Julian Marshall » March 1st, 2019, 6:28 am

Kris, the quantity has certainly increased, to all of 5300 bottles for the 2012! So still a tiny operation for the Médoc. I agree that on the basis of the 2012, the quality isn't in the same league as Margaux or Palmer, but then neither is the price. I get the impression that it's on the same level as a good CC, with extra freshness and intensity. It'll be fun following the wine in the future.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » March 1st, 2019, 6:33 am

Alex Rychlewski wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 7:46 am
I have heard good things about this wine and have one bottle of 2010 in the cellar.

FWIW, the three Cellartracker notes for that wine are an average of 90.

By the way, the Clos produces three Margaux:

Le Petit Jaug
Clos du Jougueyron
Clos du Jougyeyron Nout

Mine is the "Nout"
Which one was your 2012?

I visited their website and can find no distinction between these three wines....
If "Le Petit Jaug" is, logically, the 2nd wine, which is the estate's prestige cuvée ?

Best regards,
Alex R.
The flagship wines is “Clos du Jaugueyron” but make sure it says “Margaux” on the label.

I think the CT notes are irrelevant for this wine. And too low, for my palate. Most are skewed by Leve’s ratings, and are not that many notes in total. While he is kind to the wine, let’s not kits ourselves, this is not his style of Bordeaux. His site has a nice write-up in the estate, by the way. The Margaux is excellent in years like 2000, 2005 and 2010. I have not tried other years. Was looking to grab 2014 but they sold out too fast! I will grab 2015.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Julian Marshall » March 1st, 2019, 8:38 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 6:33 am

I think the CT notes are irrelevant for this wine.
Without wanting to start a CT polemic, I never really pay attention to CT scores anyway, unless they are by people whose taste I know (which is hard to see because of the pseudonyms). I certainly agree that 90 sounds low. I forgot to add a score to my TN, but I would have given a 92 and I'm conservative. It could well be worth a couple of points more in the future. But of course, each to their own - as with BAMA, these oddities are so dissimilar to standard wines that they would not appeal to all, although I would say that Clos du Jaugueyron is less of an ET than BAMA. You don't even have to like unripe, green pepper tinged Loire reds to like it!

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Julian Marshall » March 14th, 2019, 1:42 am

Clos du Jaugueyron 2014 - Haut Médoc

Decanted for a couple of hours before serving, this filled the kitchen with aromas of fresh raspberry before we even got close to tasting it. The bouquet is more intense and impressive than the Margaux 2012 and in the mouth, the fruit is quite amazing - bright, intense and persistent flavours of raspberry, with a second, lifting wave edging towards blackcurrant, then a long finale which evokes the dustiness and elegance of Margaux. Compared to the top cuvée, this has a little less body, but otherwise very similar indeed, so for 17€, excellent value. At this price, it is competing against Crus Bourgeois - and it is better. If Bel Air Marquis tastes like Bordeaux's past, this tastes like Bordeaux's future.

Marc Frontario

#13 Post by Marc Frontario » March 15th, 2019, 2:58 am

Jeez this used to be $60 at a local retailer here and I never bought because I could not find much info on it...unfortunately they do not carry it anymore...my loss
Find something you love....and let it kill u

Return to “Wine Talk”