Fear & Loathing in Buellton: UPDATE 2 -- Dinner with Joe Davis /Arcadian

It’s somewhat embarrassing that I had never been to Santa Barbara wine country, despite the fact that it’s a mere 120 miles away. Not to mention that I have consumed hundreds of bottles made from grapes that grow in its various valleys, hills and microclimates.

Part of the reason I hadn’t visited is simple – I’ve become an insufferable French wine snob. (Half-joking emoji here.) I just don’t buy many Santa Barbara wines, unlike when I started exploring wines three decades ago.

I think “Sideways” might have given me pause as well. It’s a highly entertaining film, and it’s certainly been a boon to the wine-tour industry up there. But the idea of replicating Miles and Jack’s weekend made me feel like a bit of a lemming.

But two months ago, I found myself online actually booking two rooms at a Buellton motel that served as a location in the film and has been rebranded as The Sideways Inn. Even more fan-boy like, I booked a table for a Thursday night at The Hitching Post II, the restaurant where blowhard Miles meets lovely Maya.

The inspiration for all of this was an L.A. visit last weekend by my college roommate, Greg. A fellow wine degenerate, Greg helped set up my first trip to Burgundy a few years back. (You can read about that life-changing journey here: FINAL: My first trip to Burgundy -- tips, notes -- last update - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers) So I decided to return the favor by arranging a few winemaker visits on a blitzkrieg one-day tour of S.B. County wine country.

Board members Blake Brown and Larry Schaffer offered some food, drink and winery tips that proved very helpful. Larry was busy on the bottling line the day of our visit, and I’m sorry we didn’t get a chance to meet. But he led me to a couple of OG vintners: Andrew Murray and his eponymous winery as well as Joe Davis at Arcadian.

But I’m getting ahead of myself.

(Trigger alert: mini-Burgundy digression about to commence.)

Our wine-apalooza started Thursday with a leisurely lunch at Republique in L.A. Fred C. was in town and I wanted him to meet Greg, another Burg slut who has recently relocated to Florida. Eight of us gathered in the upstairs wine room to taste through some ’14, ’15 and ’16 Liger-Belairs.

I had been pimping the chef’s pressed duck and Dover sole to Greg for months, so it was a bummer to hear that the kitchen wasn’t able to create a special menu for us. My kimchee fried rice actually worked very well with the spiciness of the Vosne wine.

My WOTD was the 2016 Liger Reignots, which is a very pretty wine. It’s remarkably open, with a velvet mouthfeel, gorgeous aromatics and a red-fruited spiciness that entices. It’s a pleasure bomb today but still has a deeper core about it.

All agreed that the Ligers showed well, but it sparked a compelling discussion about whether these highly allocated and highly priced wines are built for the long-haul. They have an uncanny combination of gravitas and precociousness upon release that makes people swoon (and overpay?), but experienced tasters in the room said some of Louis’ early wines from the mid-00s are starting to unravel. Maybe he’s more dialed in now … time will tell.

Other personal highlights of the lunch: 2000 Leflaive Bienvenue Batard Montrachet (still fresh and lovely after all these years; pure lemon chiffon) and my first Prevost Champagne (the 15 base no-dosage rose; chalky and savory)

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming:

After lunch, Greg and I waited for our mild buzz to wear off before motoring up PCH to Buellton. I grew up here so I’ve become jaded by the beauty of our coastline, but it really was a Chamber of Commerce evening. The setting sun reminded me of the colors of a Big Stick popsicle, melting over the sea. The winds had died down, and the ocean was smooth as glass. With a little Wilco and Jerry Garcia Band as the backdrop, the whole scene was as mellow as mellow can be. We flew along in no time.

We checked into the hotel, which I actually can heartily recommend despite the mercenary renaming. They’ve updated the rooms with a metro-hint-of-rustic Sunset magazine vibe and prices are very reasonable. Very freeway/roadway convenient and lots of good food around. (I particularly recommend the Danish pancakes and fresh berry jam at Ellen’s and the cabeza or chile verde burritos at Taco Roco.)
sideways.jpg
We then drove the mile or so to the Hitching Post, which was surprisingly full at 8 pm on a Thursday night. I expected more of a tourist crowd, but the place was filled with local-looking agrarian/rancher types – lots of plaid, work boots, tanned and wind-creased faces and white F-150 trucks in the parking lot. HP has a basic service formula – all-inclusive dinner with soup, salad, garlic bread and your choice of protein. Pricing is very aggressive ($50-plus for a NY strip), but the corn-finished Midwestern meat is top-notch. Cooked simply over an oak grill, the steak was superb.

There’s a small but well-curated wine list, filled mainly with their own wines. I thought I spied a winner with a 2006 Hitching Post bottle from the Sanford & Benedict vineyard for a mere $60 or so. It went fine with the steak, but it lacked a bit of freshness and came off a bit four-square.

After a long day of drinking and driving (I know that sounds bad, but you know what I mean), it was time for bed at the Sideways Inn.

Next: Traveling the backroads of Aliso Valley with Andrew Murray and drinking Grand Cru Dujac with Joe Davis.

Bummed I was not able to connect with you in person this time but glad things worked out with Joe and Andrew.

Cheers

Great note! Neh, awesome note!

Thank you!

That made me wanna go do that!

They certainly have upgraded those rooms since my last stay. For bonus points you could have taken Uber to the HP2 then taken the walk of shame home

I napped in my Uber. You’re a beast driving to S.B.!

Matt, has anybody ever told you you’re a horrible story teller? No, I didn’t think so. [worship.gif]

Thanks Nowell. The next installment is coming shortly …

That was an awesome read - super entertaining and very well written. Great stuff Matt!

Next installment: Sneaking around the backroads with Andrew Murray

After rolling out of bed, we ambled over to Ellen’s for a hearty breakfast ahead of a full day of wine tasting. Only in California – the land of immigrants – can you get a two-fer of machaca scrambled eggs and a side of Danish pancakes. (There’s a whole Danish thing going on in Santa Ynez Valley – with faux windmills, clogs, sausages and what-not – that I’m still not clear about.) These really are killer pancakes, especially with the homemade mixed berry compote. No syrup please.

We had a late-morning appointment at Andrew Murray Vineyards off Foxen Canyon Road in the Santa Ynez AVA, so we had some time to kill. We decided to literally get the lay of the land by heading over to the Ballard area to check out some of the area’s oldest Syrah vines, at the base of the Stolpman Vineyard. With not a cloud in the sky, the sun shone brightly amid a wash of azure-blue sky and verdant hillsides.

Heavy February rains have soaked Southern California, leading to an early blooming of grasses in our foothills. Driving up to Stolpman on gently winding roads and seeing the equine/ag estates reminded me of motoring in Bluegrass country in Kentucky – with a dense carpet of green, rolling terrain, white railings and frisky horses.

I’m clearly not an expert about Santa Barbara wine country, but my main takeaway is that it’s not a homogenous zone. There is a patchwork of AVAs, stretching from the more marine-influenced Lompoc area to the warmer zones near Santa Ynez proper. There are all kinds of soil – from limestone/chalk to clay to loamy sand fields. Elevations range from a few hundred feet on the valley floor to 2,000 feet on the hillside plots. So it’s not surprising that there are 100-plus wineries making wine from a variety of grapes. But the sweet spots seems to be Burg and Rhone varietals as far as I can tell.

A unique feature of the valley is it being essentially bracketed by mountain ranges that run West-to-East. That’s an unusual set up in coastal California, with ocean breezes funneled from the shore into the Valley. That creates a cool-climate environment in the western areas, with fog in the morning and ocean breezes in the afternoon. Even the more eastern zones benefit from a bit of a cool-down provided by the nearby Pacific. (To geek out more about the geography and AVAs read Fred Swan’s excellent overview here: The Wines of Santa Barbara County - Fred Swan - Articles - GuildSomm)

But enough of that, it’s time to drink some wines!

Andrew Murray seemed genuinely excited at our arrival at his tasting room. A wiry guy with a neat gray goatee, he dressed nattily in khakis and black Patagonia micro-Puff outerwear. At first sight, he seemed more like a software developer or a D.P. than someone who has been making wine for 25 years. After just a few minutes of pleasantries, I knew I was going to like this guy. He’s smart, has a quick wit, is appropriately profane and seems brutally honest (about himself, the state of S.B. winemaking and what he describes as “B.S. wine marketing”).

(sorry this image is really fuzzy:)

When we arrived, I tossed him a softball question about my curiosity about white Rhone varieties and which of his whites is his favorite. Without a beat, he laughed and admitted that his palate was turning away from white Rhones. It was clear that he knew that there was a market for his mid-priced Rhone-style white blends like Enchante, but he’d rather drink white Burgundy.

That kind of candor would play out the rest of our visit. He had a lot to say about the low-alcohol dogma/movement, arguing that ABV is just one data point in numerous other ones that make up a successful wine. He somewhat brusquely shooed away my question about alcohol levels, saying that ABV for any given wine is going to be what it’s going to be. To his thinking, what’s in the bottle should speak for itself – not numerals printed on the label. “Yes, all great wines contain alcohol!” he said with a smirk.

He then ushered us to a tasting table where he had set up new and library releases for us to try. Andrew had invited his friend Jonathan Grunzweig, a fellow Berserker and knowledgeable collector, to join us.

When I first cut my teeth on wine in the 90s, I largely heeded the advice of Parker. I dabbled in Bordeaux and some of the CA Rhone Rangers he championed – Qupe, Ojai and Andrew Murray. I liked the somewhat Quixotic backstory of these guys, and the big, brambly style of their Syrahs. But over the years, the Pinot bug bit, specifically Burgundy, and I drifted away from the Rhone Rangers. So I was very curious to re-taste Andrew’s wines after all these years.

I had a fear that they might be a bit rich, squishy or warm for my palate. Next to his tasting table is a sort of private-public cellar with rows of bottles blanketing the wall. So it gave me hope for restraint when I saw numerous bottles of Clape, Chave and Clusel-Roch awaiting their moment in the proverbial sun.

He had set up two flights for us – a range of his 2016 single-vineyard Syrahs and a sampling of his 2009 wines (all bottled under screwcap!)

Talking to Andrew, you can tell that the single-vineyard Syrahs are his favored children. He’s finely tuned to the subtle differences in each vineyard and was able to organize them in increasing level of grippiness/tannins. For the 16s, we drank through the Thompson, Stolpman, Alisos, Watch Hill and Estate bottlings.

What struck me most about these wines was their freshness and ebullience. They are medium-bodied, opaque purple wines that are easy to like. These are not red-fruited acid-driven wines. Instead, they showcase perfectly ripe blackberry/blueberry fruit without any distracting wood or caramel notes. There is no heat or alcohol poking out. There isn’t much tannic bite, until you get to the Watch Hill and Estate wines and even then it’s more a whisper of structure than a clampdown. The acids provide just enough lift to keep the fruit-forward wines from being tiring. New oak is roughly about 25%-30% typically.

Andrew may not like the analogy – I think I remember him grumbling about carbonic maceration at one point – but the wines share some of the open-knit qualities I like in quality cru Beaujolais. Generous aromatics, plump fruit and a silky mouthfeel. The wines drink easily on release but have enough stuffing and interest to age. They drink well on their own and with food. They are easy to like and don’t ask difficult questions. They strike me as ideal summer BBQ wines – in the best sense of the phrase.

We then opened the 09 wines under screwcap. These wines definitely surprised me with their vibrancy and color. They seemed relatively undeveloped for 10-year-old CA Syrah. They had a bit more focus and savory quality than their younger peers, but they still carried a ton of fruit. My personal favorite was a blend of Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedre – cheekily packaged in a Bordeaux bottle, an idea he said he borrowed from the Rhone’s Jean Luc Colombo.

Remarking on the still lively quality of the 09s, I praised Andrew for going screwcap. He only did it for less than a decade, saying he was tired of having to talk about the closures all the time when he went on sales calls. Instead of talking about his wine, he spent too much time debating closures with customers and wine buyers alike. He now seems happy with his decision to go all DIAM.

He says his winemaking style or philosophy hasn’t evolved that much in the past quarter century. He admits that he free-formed a bit in his early days, but now relies on a winemaking team that has been with him for most of career. His new assistant, McKenna Giardine, manages their state-of-the-art wine lab on site, providing hard data points to balance Murray’s palate-based decision-making.

We then scrambled into his Tahoe SUV for a mini-tour of some of the nearby vineyards. As we headed toward Alisos, he gave us a brief recap of his career. After getting a degree at U.C. Davis, he returned to his family’s newly purchased 200-acre ranch in Santa Ynez Valley. There he helped start growing grapes and making wine in the early 1990s at the encouragement of family friend Jim Clendenen of Au Bon Climat fame. The Foxen clan helped the family lay out their vineyard.

After steady success, Andrew found himself at a crossroads when his ready-to-retire parents sold the family ranch and winery in 2006. He got to keep the winery name but had to scramble to lease vineyard land and rebuild his business. It’s a complicated deal involving the Firestone family, who have leased Andrew vines while they focus on their thriving craft brewing business. (You can read more about all this land-swapping in Richard Jennings’ comprehensive write-up here: Andrew Murray to Expand; Leasing Former Curtis Winery & VineyardRJonWine.com

He’s now up to roughly 15,000 cases of wine a year – split between his value-priced Syrah Tous les Jours ($15) and the small-lot single-vineyard Syrah. ($35-$65). He also is a partner in a farming operation that tends to many vineyards in the area, including some of the land that he makes wine from. He also sells grapes from some of the land he leases. It sounds like a complex web of business operations.

He took us by the Watch Hill site (image below), which is his favorite terroir to work with and the source of his best wine. Nestled in the Los Alamos hills, the hillock seems to have ideal exposure, soaking up sun and the cooling Pacific breezes. He said the owner is meticulous about upkeep, noting how small details can reveal a lot about how well a vineyard is being cared for, such as the quality of the trellising and, yes, even the crew benches under the oaks.

The highlight of our drive was “sneaking” back near his former family estate through some backroad easements near Zaca Mesa winery. He said he hadn’t been back in years. As he shared anecdotes – pointing out an area that had once housed a tennis court where Jim Clendenen had once dominated – I could detect a hint of melancholy about the sale. Pointing out the tattered remnants of an illegal and raided marijuana grow house hiding in the ravine of an adjacent property, and the state of the crumbling roads, he sounded like many former owners who are sad to see what Tara has become. On the way back to his shop, he joked we could send him a bill for the therapy time.

Some other tidbits from our visit:

• Andrew no longer makes wines from vineyards in which the owner also makes wine. That means no more Stolpman. I’m not sure what the reason is.

• When asked the biggest mistake beginning winemakers make, he quickly answered: pick time. Deciding when to harvest grapes is both a science and an art, learned through experience. Many newcomers blow it, he said. His quick, typically frank advice: “Let’s put it this way: It’s much easier to add water than it is to add sunshine.” I don’t think he actually condones the practice, but used the concept to make a point.

• He said he treats his vines like his children. You don’t want to baby them or coddle them if you want them to thrive and be self-sufficient. “You want them to be slightly cold and slightly hungry all the time,” he jokes. Older vines, like mature people, are easier to work with because they understand the rhythms of life and get with the program. “They don’t want to stay out until 3 in the morning anymore” is how he describes vines that have settled in and don’t go rogue. They tend to produce better and more balanced fruit.

Already late for our next appointment, we thanked Andrew in the parking lot for his time. It seemed clear to me that he realizes he’s lucked out a bit, despite the bumps along the way. He knows he’s privileged to get to do what he does every day for a living …

Loving these…keep 'em coming!

on the first pic, who is that handsome devil standing up looking at his phone?

ill echo what’s been said. loving the prose. b-p-o-t-b goes to matt.

[cheers.gif]

Great write up - and Andrew is one of my favorite winemakers, and just all around guys, in the area. He is a straight shooter who’s very humble but truly knows his stuff. He’s able to ‘geek out’ with the best of us, but also gets uber excited about things in a way you may not expect.

Interesting tasting as well - and glad you were able to taste some of his older wines under screw cap. He really was a strong proponent for quite some time - and I understand his reason for moving away from them . . . but still give him crap for it!

Again sorry I missed you this time - it’s never fun when I can’t hang out with folks who come in from out of town - but bottling that day took precedence.

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Cheers!

The trip to Buellton…

“We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers… and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls."

Nice job guys. Sounds like a great time.

Great Andrew Murray report. I was all in on his wines (just a step below Alban) in the late 90s. Then he made some flawed wines in the early 2000s and the winery was sold. Interesting article by Richard Jennings on that topic. I’m still not sure what happened. His dad used to accompany him to Hospice du Rhone and acted like a ringmaster at the tastings. I got invited out to the property once and it was impressive.

I did a retrospective tasting on some of Andrew’s earlier wines in 2010, before I joined this board. I dug the notes out and will just give the Cliff’s Notes version here.

Grenaches from 2005, 2006, and 2006; fairly simple wines, the 06 was the best
First flight of Roasted Slopes (his version of Cote Rotie): 1996, 1998, 1999, and 2000; 2000 was the best; 1998 was shot
Second flight of Roasted Slopes: 2001 through 2005; all these were pretty good, but high alcohol (some at 15%); I think the 05 may have been purchased fruit
Hillside Select flight: 1999 through 2005; 2001 was the best; 2002 was flawed; all these were high alcohol, some at 15.5%; screw caps appeared in 2002 I believe

This pretty much exhausted my supply of AM wines and I have not replaced them, although some I have tried recently are good. They show up in Las Vegas at odd places like Whole Foods. Interesting that Andrew says he is losing enthusiasm for whites; I always thought they were his best wines.

I stopped by the new tasting room at the old Curtis Winery last year. They did a great remodel job; very nice venue. I will stop by again next month and try to set up a meeting with Andrew.

James,

The winery was sold by Andrew’s family back in 2005 and ‘forced’ Andrew to rethink things - but also gave him the ‘freedom’ to go beyond the Estate and look elsewhere for fruit. It was tough for Andrew and his family at the time, but it’s been a blessing indeed - he first rented what has been referred to as ‘Area 51’, a production facility well behind the Firestone Winery but on the same property - actually, somewhat in the midst of what is now called Jurassic Vineyard and is home to many of the better ‘old vine’ Chenins coming out of this area - and a facility that first housed the original Firestone Walker Brewery. And now he has taken over the old Curtis facility as the Firestone family has truly divested themselves of the wine biz - other than holding on to a swath of vineyards there and those 2 facilities themselves.

Andrew certainly has switched up what he prefers to drink himself, but that has not affected his winemaking up to this point. He’s always made ‘bigger and bolder’ wines but they have tended to be quite balanced indeed.

Please let me know when you are up in the area as I’d love to touch base as well - and let me know if I can assist in making the connection between you and Andrew if you need it.

Cheers!

And our story comes to an end …

Our next stop was the Arcadian tasting room, about a half-hour west of Foxen Canyon. Many smaller wineries have set up small production and tasting facilities in a non-descript industrial park at the edge of town lovingly dubbed in the Wine Ghetto.

After the picturesque rolling hills of Santa Ynez Valley, this cluster of corrugated steel boxes didn’t really entice. A steadily stiffening breeze blew across largely empty parking lots. A few patrons wandered on the blacktop in flat wintry light. I felt like I should be buying aftermarket car parts instead of boutique wines.
ghetto.jpg

To be fair, this was late in the day during the slowest, coldest month of the year. I can imagine the area, which houses such Young Turks as Sandhi and Tyler, could be rocking with food trucks and crowds on a July weekend afternoon. Being able to easily hit a cluster of wineries with no hassle must be appealing.

After driving in circles a bit, we finally found the Arcadian facility. Beth, who has been Joe Davis’ left-and-right-hand woman for nearly a decade, welcomed us warmly into the cozy tasting room. Painted in yellow, the small space is littered with all kinds of treasures – half bottles, magnums, specialty releases going back 10 years or more. It’s also telling that the biggest wall adornments are maps of Burgundy’s Cote d’Or and Cote de Beaune. Good sign.
IMG_5196 (1).JPG

Joe had texted me earlier that he was on the road heading back from LAX, so he wouldn’t be able to join us for the tasting. But he kindly offered to meet Greg and me for dinner later that night at Industrial Eats in Buellton. He even promised to bring some library bottles from his home cellar. Score!

Joe is the eminence grise of Old World-style winemaking in the Valley. Joe, who studied enology at UC Davis and cut his teeth making wine at Morgan nearly 30 years, ago, is a definite terroir-ist. He works with some of California’s most distinctive vineyards – Sleepy Hollow in Monterey, Pisoni in Santa Lucia Highlands and Clos Pepe in Santa Rita Hills. He makes Chardonnay, Pinot and some Syrah, bottling about 5,000 cases a year.

His non-interventionist style calls for lots of cold soaking, minimum racking, whole cluster pressing, and some fermentation in barrel. He’s also fanatical about the wood his wines are raised in, sourcing oak from a very specific forest in France. (We’ll hear more about that at dinner!) Given that he connected with the Dujac crew in Burgundy back in the day, none of this protocol should come as a surprise.

Joe holds back wines for many years in bottle before release. It’s obviously not the most economical way of doing business, but the added time clearly benefits the final product. His wines hit the market about five years after vintage. The extra resting time allows his wine to show unusual restraint and complexity.

They stand out from their peer set in a region that produces a lot of forward, lusher wines – at least to my palate. There’s a savory quality that you typically don’t see in Santa Barbara-area wines – sous bois in the Pinots, a mushroomy/Parmesan rind note in the older Chardonnay. These are California wines for Burg lovers. (For example, at our Republique lunch, fellow Arcadian supporter Charlie Fu said that Joe’s 1999 Sleepy Hollow Chard is as close he’s seen a CA Chard come to Grand Cru White Burgundy.)

As to the tasting, Greg and I were like kids in a candy store. Beth basically opened up anything that interested us – some newer release Clos Pepe Pinot and Stolpman Syrah from 08. It was instructive to contrast Andrew’s Stolpman to Joe’s, which shows more structure and some stemmy and earthy notes vs. AMV’s fruity ebullience.

We also sampled some chards (06 and 08) from the Sleepy Hollow vineyard. These too seemed a bit tight on opening, with a lactic note and a steely Chablis-like quality. We also sampled a 2006 Hommage a Max Syrah, a mélange of Joe’s best lots in honor of his son. These are typically big wines with blackberry, loam, black pepper and a bit of saddle.

Pop-and-pour at the winery is NOT the best way to appreciate Joe’s wines. After snoozing for so long, they need more air and time to unfurl. For example, we took the two Chard bottles with us for our dinner later with Joe. With food and additional air, they opened up noticeably– becoming more golden and showing an intriguing mix of tart tropical fruit with that mushroomy note.

I told Beth I felt guilty about her opening up so many bottles that we had only had a few ounces from. She graciously offered to pack up a few bottles for the road, explaining that if Joe had been there that he would have opened up more bottles.

We agreed to meet Joe at Industrial Eats back in Buellton. Several Berserkers had recommended the restaurant to us. It’s exactly the type of high-quality, low-pretension place that any wine lover would crave in her/his city. A high-ceilinged spot with long communal table seating, IE offers a gastropub/cafeteria-style vibe in a repurposed warehouse. It’s seemingly always packed, filled with locals, foodie tourists and members of the working wine community.
The spot features about two dozen offerings scribbled on butcher paper on the wall. The menu changes weekly. You wait in line to place your order and then friendly, tattooed waitresses deliver your food to your table.

It’s farm-to-table California cuisine with a Santa Barbara ag vibe. They source super-fresh provisions from local ranchers, farmers and anglers who they count as friends. And here’s the best part: absolutely no corkage at any time! You just have to bring your own stems.
greg.jpeg
On the night we visited, we had platters of Baja oysters, carne asada pizza, porchetta with potato and pasilla, cauliflower in a light béchamel sauce, and gem salad with egg and pancetta. Every dish was spot on—bold flavors in balance, non-mannered presentation and a light touch that works well with wine. I can’t recommend this establishment more highly.

I offered Joe major props for rallying to meet us for dinner after hustling back from LAX after a few days on the road promoting his wines. Greg rewarded him with some 06 Dom that we had bought that day for the occasion. (If you ever want a sign of DP’s massive production and distribution capacity, just know that they are able to sell into a tiny Lompoc liquor store!)

Joe grew up in a family of fishermen in Monterey County. That hard-working upbringing is still readily apparent when you meet him. He’s super down-to-earth, friendly but you can tell he’s demanding of himself, his employees and interns, and of his wines.

With his beefy forearms, strong hands and stout, somewhat roly-poly build he looks a bit like a wrestling coach. He’s got dark, thinning curls and deep-set kind eyes. This night he wore a simple S.F. Giants fleece, a transgression this Dodger fan politely ignored.
joe.JPG
As we enjoyed our Champagne, Joe began to tell us his story. He’s been making wine for decades but is still passionate about his craft. He’s got a scientist-meets-poet vibe that has him mixing chemical terms with flights of fancy when describing why his wines taste the way they do. You get a sense he knows more than most of his SB winemaking peers, but he’s still got a lot to learn.

I asked him why his wines seem to have a longer aging curve than most SB wines. He did his best to dumb it down for this English major, emphasizing that it has to do with the amount of oxygen in his wines at bottling. He said most winemakers try to get their wines to market quickly, so there’s a lot of racking in the first two years of their life as they move from barrel to barrel to get off the lees and into bottle.

He said he allows his wine to sit in a cool place for extended periods, reducing the introduction of oxygen. I may get these numbers slightly off, but I think that he said his wine comes in under 2 parts of oxygen per million, as opposed to the 4-6 ppm of most other SB wines.

We also talked about some vintners choosing to gussy up their wines for market with more overt oak notes, often sourced from more showy wood. Joe takes his oak very seriously. Instead of buying finished barrels, he said he travels to a special forest in Burgundy, identifying specific stands of oak. He and his associate then buy them at a special auction dedicated to coopers.

It’s clear that Burgundy remains Joe’s touchstone. He told us about meeting Jacques Seysses of Dujac fame at a party in San Francisco when he was a young winemaker at Morgan. As he tells it, he had no idea who Jacques was at first sight, but when introduced the two fellow winemakers hit it off. Jacques wound up inviting him back to Morey St. Denis to work a harvest and help make wines. His early attachment to Dujac no doubt informs his rich, spicy, stemmy, age-worthy style to this day.

Hoping to wander down memory lane, I had brought an 07 Dujac Clos de la Roche to share with Joe over dinner. I figured its breeding and the early-nature of the vintage would reveal a classy, open wine. But it never really came out of its shell, which was a shame. I think it might have been slightly corked, given the muted aromatics and flat palate.

Joe seemed polite about the Dujac. But in reality his 02 Pisoni Pinot outshone the Burgundy easily. In fact, the Pisoni was Greg and my consensus wine of the trip. I’m not sure if it was the environment or Joe’s magnetic presence, but the red-fruited wine really shone: raspberry, soil, herbs and bright acids that gave the 17-year-old wine plenty of lift.
pisoni.jpeg
The bottle didn’t seem like typical Pisoni to me. I asked him how the wine managed such freshness and low-octane appeal from a vineyard known for such powerful, over-the-top wines. He said it really boils down to picking time, saying he harvests his grapes at the fabled plot much, much earlier than his fellow winemakers.

In the Small World Department: Joe told us he had a girlfriend during his time in Burgundy named Virginie Taupenot. She now helps her brother Roman run the steadily improving Taupenot Merme domaine in Morey St Denis. If you’ve read my previous travelogue from Burgundy, you may remember Greg and I had an initially very awkward tasting with Roman a few years back. It was the gracious Virginie who helped smooth things over and get us settled.

Joe has a strong take on this kind of Trans-Atlantic mentoring. He says he gets dozens of requests from aspiring winemakers eager to refine their craft by interning at Arcadian. He says many of these aspirants come from overseas wineries, often more interested in checking off the box of having worked abroad than really rolling up their sleeves.

Joe says he rejects most applicants because they don’t seem eager to work as hard as he does. He admits he pushes them but never asks them to do manual labor that he isn’t willing to do himself.

He says he’s willing to tell interns all that he knows about the craft of making wine so long as they work their ass off. Those who do make the cut are like those brave souls who toil away at a Michelin sushi restaurant, cooking rice for years before touching fish or sharpening a knife. Joe says he is proud of those who graduate from his system, such as Justin Willett of Tyler Winery.

One other anecdote that I loved: It’s apparent that the Sleepy Hollow Vineyard is Joe’s first love and main squeeze. He’s been making wines from the spot for a long time. He told us the name comes from the fact that the initial owner of the vineyard hailed from the Hudson Valley area in New York. (Maybe it’s Jerry McFarland?) Apparently, in the late ‘60s-early ‘70s, he had driven his van across the country way out to rural Monterey County and basically squatted on what is now the 400-acre Sleepy Hollow vineyard. The rancher-owner bumped into him and said he’d have to move on. Instead, the vagabond offered to buy the property for a princely sum of $400! He’d later sell to Talbott, I assume, at a very fat profit.

As our dinner came to a close, two great things happened.

First, the owner of Industrial Eats, Jeff Olsson, stopped by to say hello and try some wines. He brought over some Epoisses cheese to go with the Dujac and Pisoni, which worked out perfectly. Jeff is a completely down-to-earth non-foodie foodie – if that makes sense. It’s clear he has a deep simpatico with the local winemakers who practice their craft in the same area he does. He also offered us some cleansing ales on the house after hours, well after the last customer straggled home happy. He would’ve let us stay there as long as we wanted I imagine. Cool guy.

Second, we met this tiny, wacky local woman, a British ex-pat who had bought an equine facility and a few dozen acres in Santa Ynez Valley following her divorce in the U.K. She didn’t know anything about wine, but hit it off with Joe and us, offering her unvarnished critiques of the bottles on the table.

And in a total cool moment of serendipity, she mentioned that she focuses on cutting horses for riding. She then said knows people who train working horses. Joe lit up and said that indeed he’s looking for a dray horse to help him plow his fields in typical old-school way. I expect a deal any day.

With the lights being turned up, we thanked Joe profusely for his generosity after a long day of traveling and called our Uber.

I jokingly titled this post “Fear and Loathing in Buellton.” I wish I had more salacious stories to share, but alas there were no ether-fueled raves in vineyards or bedrooms. And unlike Miles and Jack in “Sideways,” there are no infidelities, broken noses or car accidents to report.

As wild as it got was Greg and I heading back to the bar at the Sideways Inn for even some more cleansing ales. (I can heartily recommend the Topa Topa IPA from nearby Ventura County.) It was fun flirting with the cute, happily married bartender, who said we seemed OK for guys heading up from L.A. She says that there has been some backlash against entertainment types from LaLa Land buying up ranch properties in the Valley. To her mind, these isolationist, snooty poseurs are driving up prices, worsening traffic and disrespecting local customs. A familiar tale …

We closed that place down as well. We returned back to our room at 2 a.m., where in our slightly compromised state we decided to mix the other half-drunk bottle of Joe’s chard with some OG Kush and “Jimmy Page and The Black Crowes at the Greek.” Oy vey!

We turned off the lights at 3 a.m. It had been a long, fun day. But we had to get up early to make it to Santa Anita racetrack for first post.

Let’s put it this way: After the day and night before, we didn’t make it to the track. I am proud that we did hustle back in time for the Dark Star Orchestra concert in Beverly Hills Saturday night.

But that’s a story for another time. And another message board!
IMG_5203.JPG

Once again, anybody who doesn’t do a deep dive on Arcadian Wines is REALLY missing out!

TTT

Matt,
What a great read and a great trip. Thanks.

Great read. Joe is incredibly generous with his time and there is no quick tasting with him, so I am not surprised you closed the place.