2015 Neal Family Cabernet Sauvignon - $40 Napa Cab !

Neal Family Vineyards is often mentioned here, particularly when someone is looking for a “value” Napa Cabernet Sauvignon. From their latest release email …

As a thank you to all of our customers who have supported Neal Family over the years, Mark has decided to ”turn back the clock” and offer our 2015 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon at a $45.00 bottle price which is the price he offered with his first release of a Napa Cab all the way back in 1998. Our suggestion to you is to take advantage of this offer before he changes his mind. In addition, if you order 12 or more bottles by March 31, 2019, we will have a case price of $480.00 or $40.00 per bottle.

I haven’t tried the 2015 yet, but have enjoyed numerous bottles of Neal Cab from 2001 through 2012. I had sworn off ordering wines in case quantities a few years ago, due to advancing age and a full cellar, but this may be a time to go for it.

Got the email today. I’ll be in for a case. Been buying Neal since the 2001 vintage. Never disappoints.

I haven’t bought since 2003 but that’s amazing that he can hold the line on that price. Do they still do the svd sets?

Wow! How I wish I could snag some at that price. Always have enjoyed the wines. Visited Mark once a very long time ago. A man very serious about his craft, I enjoyed talking with him immensely.

We try to visit with Mark and his family whenever we head to wine country. Been doing that since 2004.

I picked up a few. Thanks for the heads-up as my email went into the spam folder.

no-brainer, in for a case!

I guess I should try that one

LOL, yes I bought some a ling while ago too. They are very well made wines in a style I am not really wild about.

Neal is one of those producers that I have enjoyed in the past but have stopped buying. Drank my last bottle last September. I always thought Neal was a really good Cab and at a bargain price.

I have no experience with Neal. How would you describe the house style, and who would you compare them with? Thanks.

Punches well above the price. Family owned and farmed vineyards allow for price stability.

Have to access the long-term memory banks, but a slightly richer and slightly more approachable version of Dunn maybe? They’re both on Howell (about 1/2 mile from each other).

As I said earlier, my experience is with the 2001-2012 vintages. The comparison with Dunn’s Napa Cabernet isn’t a bad one in my view. Both the Neal and the Dunn are blends with a substantial amount of Howell Mtn fruit along with valley fruit. I find the Neal Cabs to be on the bigger, structured, more tannic side balanced with classic Cabernet fruit flavors. They are not at all like the modern, lush, fruity, almost sweet Napa Cabs one finds today. They do age nicely, and since you’re buying a case :slight_smile: you can follow its development over the next 10-15 years.

Agreed, I am only now working my way through my 01s and 02s, they are drinking beautifully.