The Cigare has Flown - No More GSM for Grahm

Somehow, until just now, I missed the news of Randall Grahm’s terminal restlessness spilling over into the realm of his most stable efforts in winemaking…

Bonny Doon Vineyard Blog
“Requiem for a Flying Cigare”

by Randall Grahm
December 11, 2018

"I am saying goodbye to ‘Le Cigare Volant’, at least to the wine that I’ve made in a certain, distinctive style for so many years.

"…I am incredibly proud of the thirty-four vintages (1984-2017) of ‘Cigare Volant’ that we have produced; each one is a bit different from the other, but each, with the very occasional exception, somehow captures a sense of ‘Cigareness’…

"…But ‘Cigare’ in its current format seems to have lost a certain relevance to the modern market.

Blah blah blah

"…Cigare has always been a sort of performative exercise, and always strongly bounded by my own significant limitations.

Blah blah blah

“… It is now time to say goodbye to an old and loyal friend, and to look forward to the thrill of the discovery and exploration of the new and joyous wines that await. Le Cigare est mort; vive le Cigare!”

**A more concise version of the story can be found here.

In short, no more GSM; now expect a <$20/btl Cinsault-based blend**

Close but no Cigare?

Burnt out?

Ashes to ashes.

Butt . . . butt . . .

Snuffed?

Extinguished?

Eh, I will leave it to the pun-dits…

Odd that it has taken him 30 years to come to the belief that the best wines have to come from a particular site. One can debate that proposition Some would cite Grange Hermitage as a counter example, or traditional Barolo, which drew from several vineyards. But it’s not like that is a new idea.

Or dozens of great Champagnes.