My first Mexican wine...

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Brandon R

My first Mexican wine...

#1 Post by Brandon R » February 25th, 2019, 3:57 pm

The family and I spent a short week down in Cabo San Lucas. On the evening of our arrival, we took our very tired kids to the first restaurant at our resort. It was Italian (hey, don't judge me, we had travel-weary kids and it was late...we figured things out the next morning!). A quick appraisal of the wine list and I was, not surprisingly, shocked at the high prices. The few Mexican wines on the list there the exception. So, I blindly pulled the trigger. I was very, very pleasantly surprised.

2017 Bodegas Roganto Piccolo (Valle de Guadalupe and San Jacinto, Baja, Mexico) - 13.5% alc. It was around $30 off the list and was a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Tempranillo. There was cool, clean, bright fruit with a great juicy presence in the mouth. The tannins were nicely managed, if not slightly drying.

There aren't any other bottles of that vintage in CT yet. Apparently, they made 60,000 bottles. Regardless, I was a fan. We had another bottle later that week.

Any other Mexican wines you all like?
B. Redman

Dav1d S@wyer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: My first Mexican wine...

#2 Post by Dav1d S@wyer » February 25th, 2019, 8:38 pm

I tasted a few in San Miguel de Allende last year. The Rosewood list there has a ton of nice Mexican wine. Much better than expected.

We drank a ‘15 Casa Madero Syrah and finished with a Sauternes-like dessert wine from Chateau Camou. It was a 2001 “El Gran Divino” and had aged well. My understanding was that both of these wineries are very well established names there.

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Matthew King » February 25th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Try anything from Lulu Martinez in the Valle de Guadalupe area. The queen of natural wines down there. She makes a really savory fizzy orange/rose wine for Bodegas Henri Lurton. It was poured blind for me on a recent trip and really impressed.
"Please don't dominate the rap Jack if you've got nothing new to say." -- Robert Hunter

Joe Mendez

#4 Post by Joe Mendez » February 25th, 2019, 9:04 pm

When in Mexico I drink Casa Madero Gran Reserva 3V for about $35 bucks a bottle. "Pies de Tierra" is also very good and can be had for slightly less.

JohnP

#5 Post by JohnP » February 25th, 2019, 11:09 pm

The greatest wine I've tried from Baja is 2006 Torres Alegre "Cru Garage" Tempranillo. It's ridiculous, but you'll drop $100. Truly fine wines in San Diego is one of the few importers supporting Baja wines and sells these. Another good producer is Adobe Guadalupe, they make a great cab/nebbiolo blend. Wine Connection in Del Mar is their importer.
John Pollard

Ian S

#6 Post by Ian S » February 26th, 2019, 5:12 am

Are Mexican wines refermented?
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

Andrew Dodd

#7 Post by Andrew Dodd » February 26th, 2019, 9:03 am

Had a bottle of 2014 Hacienda La Lomita Cursi a friend bought while on vacation in Puerto Vallarta.
Rose, expected it to be awful, but it actually wasn't half bad.

Brandon R

#8 Post by Brandon R » February 26th, 2019, 9:06 am

Ian S wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 5:12 am
Are Mexican wines refermented?
I see what you did there! [thumbs-up.gif]
B. Redman

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Hank Victor » February 26th, 2019, 9:59 am

I've yet to try but I am on the lookout. A lot of great things are being said and about wine production in Valle de Guadalupe. A few US wineries have invested there.
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

"Two years away from being two years away”

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Thomas Keim » February 26th, 2019, 1:32 pm

JohnP wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 11:09 pm
Another good producer is Adobe Guadalupe, they make a great cab/nebbiolo blend. Wine Connection in Del Mar is their importer.
I love their wines, and a very unique winery. I used to be a big fan of Monte Xanic's Cabernet Sauvignon, but haven't had it in ten years plus -
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

JohnP

#11 Post by JohnP » February 26th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Thomas Keim wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 1:32 pm
JohnP wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 11:09 pm
Another good producer is Adobe Guadalupe, they make a great cab/nebbiolo blend. Wine Connection in Del Mar is their importer.
I love their wines, and a very unique winery. I used to be a big fan of Monte Xanic's Cabernet Sauvignon, but haven't had it in ten years plus -
If you like AG wines, you'll love Cru Garage wines, they're a level up.
John Pollard

Return to “Wine Talk”