The search for a “wow” Rosé

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
EHeffner

Re: The search for a “wow” Rosé

#51 Post by EHeffner » February 26th, 2019, 6:09 am

Just had a 2016 Tercero. The best I’ve had. Don’t be afraid to let your rose sit for a year or two. I’ve been wanting to try Tempier but can’t get myself to pay $36 when I can get Tercero or Bedrock for much cheaper
E v a n

S teve R edenbaugh
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by S teve R edenbaugh » February 26th, 2019, 6:21 am

I really don't drink rose anticipating or expecting a "wow'" I do, however get enough "ahhhh" in roses from the likes of Littorai, Arnot-Roberts, Tablas Creek, Bedrock, Tercero, Epoch...and most of all, L'Aventure.

Pat Esposito

#53 Post by Pat Esposito » February 26th, 2019, 6:43 am

Nick Kra Mar Ski wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 4:51 am
Justin Wittkopf wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 4:38 am
Surprised this one has not been named, yet. It’s by far the best Rose I’ve ever tasted and I think its the highest rated Rose by the “pro critics”, as well.

Chateau d'Esclans Rose Garrus. The 2016 was given 97 points by Decanter.

I had this served to me by Claude Blankiet at a tasting where he was trying to show his Blankiet Rose (damn fine wine, too) against the “best rose in the world”, the Chateau d’Esclans. I remember the tasting well. It was my first time with this wine and it blew me away. Honestly didn’t believe a rose wine would ever do that to me.
That is likely because OP asked for $40-50 range.

Only one above that range I'd say (and I'm just going to crimp from my Rose thread I started yesterday morning) is Antica Terra's Angelicall; in order of "wow"

Antica Terra - Angelicall
Clos Cibonne
Ch Pradeaux
Dom de l'Abbaye - Clos Beylesse
Big fan of the Angelicall. just opened an '11 with plenty of life in it. Of course, the style is very different from your typical Rose

SQN is well above the price range but certainly Wow IMO

Just picked up some '08 Lopez Rosado that I'm looking forward to trying. If you can find it at retail it goes for about $35-40, but currently Winebid has it for $400+

LMD Ermitaño

#54 Post by LMD Ermitaño » February 26th, 2019, 7:01 am

Mattstolz wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 3:05 am
I think that statement has the "why" tucked into it. I love the BS Rosso because I can't buy the Annata every week and can't afford the Riserva ever, but love their wine. Reading your post, I was actually really happy to hear that it might be a little easier to hunt down their Rosso in the future with them switching gears! haha
My loss is your gain then. Good that someone’s happy about it. Enjoy!

Best,

N
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Markus S

#55 Post by Markus S » February 26th, 2019, 7:26 am

Pat Esposito wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 6:43 am
Just picked up some '08 Lopez Rosado that I'm looking forward to trying. If you can find it at retail it goes for about $35-40, but currently Winebid has it for $400+
Trying? At that price, might want to flip it.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » February 26th, 2019, 7:33 am

Tom Reddick wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 10:42 pm
It is not easy to find and goes fast when it comes to market, but the one rose that I really and truly love is Il Poggione Brancato Rosato.
Big +1

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#57 Post by larry schaffer » February 26th, 2019, 7:45 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 7:53 pm
LMD Ermitaño wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 5:08 pm
. . .
Lately, I’ve been greatly enjoying the 2012 Biondi Santi Rosato. Excellent stuff.
We served this blind in a three wine flight with Sine Qua Non Rose and Tercero Rose of Mourvedre to about 10 experienced amateur tasters. I know it's hard to believe, but the Tercero was the clear winner. About one third preferred the Tercero, and everyone who preferred one of the other two rated the Tercero second. No one rated the Tercero last. I was very disappointed with the Biondi Santi. IU understand that they were disappointed with it also and ceased production.

The Tercero has a number of important advantages. It is not expensive, there is no waiting list, it is still in production and my wife says it is the only Rose she likes. This and the fact that the winery is a Berserker business.
And I know it killed you that it was the favorite champagne.gif [snort.gif] neener

Interesting thread. Many folks just drink rose to have something cold by the pool during the spring and summer, and I totally get it. I don't and want a rose to be 'interesting' on its own, and especially at cellar temperature, not too cold. I did get to try the Eclans as well as a few SQNs and found them to be 'interesting' but not 'ahhhh' to me. I've only had one Cotat and found it to be really good - wish I had more time to sit with it but alas it was not mine and it was a 'drive by' tasting, so to speak. Domestically, I've had the Ode a couple of times - depending upon vintage, it was good to very good indeed.

I've had the Lopez de Heredia Rosatos on a few occasions - always very 'interesting' as they are so 'different', but did not 'wow' me. If you want to experience something totally 'different', search out the Bonny Doon Rose that he leaves in carboys in the sun for a year a la something he saw in Roussillon - one of the 'strangest' wines I had ever seen (yellowish color, smelled like day old curry with rosemary and sage and all kinds of other spices) - certainly a 'wow' but not necessarily in a 'great' way - just different . . .

I had a customer try my new 2018 Mourvedre Rose - the one offered on Berserkerday - after it had been opened three days, and he compared it favorably to the 2017 Tempier . . . needless to say, I was pretty pleased about that [wow.gif]

Love the thread - and can't wait to hear more.

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Markus S

#58 Post by Markus S » February 26th, 2019, 8:08 am

larry schaffer wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 7:45 am
... Many folks just drink rose to have something cold by the pool during the spring and summer...
You realize we are not "most folks"! [berserker.gif] [pillow-fight.gif]
$ _ € ® e . k @

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#59 Post by larry schaffer » February 26th, 2019, 8:11 am

Markus S wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 8:08 am
larry schaffer wrote:
... Many folks just drink rose to have something cold by the pool during the spring and summer...
You realize we are not "most folks"! [berserker.gif] [pillow-fight.gif]
I do - but there are many comments on this thread that make me believe that some on this board look at this 'category' as one they do not take as 'seriously' as other categories . . . that's all.

But yes, the majority of replies here certainly indicate, as we all know, that Berserkers are anything but 'most folks' . . . [snort.gif]

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Nick F. » February 26th, 2019, 8:50 am

Did you sell out of your 18 already?
i a s c o n e

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#61 Post by larry schaffer » February 26th, 2019, 8:54 am

Nick F. wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 8:50 am
Did you sell out of your 18 already?
Who? Me? Nope - has not been 'officially released' and I still have some of my 2017 available (and as with most Mourvedre-based roses, it's just getting better . . . seriously [cheers.gif] ).

Reach out if you'd like to try either the 17 or 18 and I'll be happy to put together a special deal for you

Cheers [snort.gif]
larry schaffer
tercero wines

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by J a y H a c k » February 26th, 2019, 9:02 am

larry schaffer wrote:
J a y H a c k wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 7:53 pm
. . . the Tercero was the clear winner. . . .
And I know it killed you that it was the favorite champagne.gif [snort.gif] neener

. . .
No, actually I was very happy, since I own 11 more bottles of the Tercero and only one more bottle of the SQN. I would have bought another case on Berserkerday, BUT I HAVE NO ROOM!!.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

etomasi

#63 Post by etomasi » February 26th, 2019, 9:59 am

Well, the only truly "wow" roses I've had are Lambray's rose with some age, and Lopez de Heredia's newest 2008 release.
---
Eric Tomasi
CT: Ericindc

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Eric Ifune » February 26th, 2019, 10:04 am

Quinta do Sobral Rose. Made from saingreed Touriga Nacional in the Dao. Darker than the average rose. Imported by D'Ourovino in Los Angeles. I know the Pennsylvania liquor control board have it in stock.
Last edited by Eric Ifune on February 26th, 2019, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ybarselah

#65 Post by ybarselah » February 26th, 2019, 10:05 am

Gros Nore is even better than Tempier, for Bandol.
Yaacov (ITB)

Barry IncaRoads Sheck

#66 Post by Barry IncaRoads Sheck » February 26th, 2019, 10:23 am

I just saw a thread mentioning Randall Gram and, wouldn’t you know, it reminded me of the very first Rosé I ever had: ye olde Vin Gris de Cigare. I recall it being inoffensive at best.

I would imagine a Bonny Doon wine was the entry point for a lot of people heading down this crazy path.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Jim Stewart » February 26th, 2019, 10:32 am

Scott Tallman wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 6:30 pm
This, plus Simone Palette Rosé and Boulay Sancerre Rosé.
I also like Boulay's Sancerre Rosé! (all the wines he makes actually)

Bdklein

#68 Post by Bdklein » February 26th, 2019, 10:34 am

Every year for the last 7 years I purchase Elizabeth Spencer (a Napa based winery but no vineyards of their own) Rose of Pinot . Except when I skipped it 2 years ago and bought a number of Berserker Day roses and other summer wines . Figured I’d save a few bucks and find a wine my wife would really like. But no such luck .
Oh well-not a happy summer for me wife (or me).

Anyone who drinks it thinks it’s a cut above other roses.
Bruce Klein

David_K

#69 Post by David_K » February 26th, 2019, 10:43 am

Jim Stewart wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:32 am
Scott Tallman wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 6:30 pm
This, plus Simone Palette Rosé and Boulay Sancerre Rosé.
I also like Boulay's Sancerre Rosé! (all the wines he makes actually)
Boulay's Sancerre Rose is nice, but it does not deliver a Cotat-like experience. (It also costs a fair bit less, which suggests to me it's not really trying to.)
K@ntrОwi╦z

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 26th, 2019, 10:48 am

Limerick Lane Rose is pretty good.

todd waldmann

#71 Post by todd waldmann » February 26th, 2019, 12:30 pm

All of the "wow" roses I have experienced, shared one characteristic: Age.
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by jcoley3 » February 26th, 2019, 12:50 pm

ybarselah wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:05 am
Gros Nore is even better than Tempier, for Bandol.
(+1)
etomasi wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 9:59 am
Well, the only truly "wow" roses I've had are Lambray's rose with some age, and Lopez de Heredia's newest 2008 release.
Just got a bottle of this that i’m Going to save for warmer weather.
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

EHeffner

#73 Post by EHeffner » February 26th, 2019, 1:04 pm

I know it’ll be dependent on the producer, vintage and how it’s stored, but is there a hard cut off for roses to be drank? I know my first 2 year old rose recently and it was the best I’ve had. Do most roses get better with a year or two under belt?
E v a n

Justin S

#74 Post by Justin S » February 26th, 2019, 2:36 pm

EHeffner wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 1:04 pm
I know it’ll be dependent on the producer, vintage and how it’s stored, but is there a hard cut off for roses to be drank? I know my first 2 year old rose recently and it was the best I’ve had. Do most roses get better with a year or two under belt?
I would say no, "most" roses do not get better with two years under the belt. Just like most wines out there don't age. That said, I think many will hold on pretty well for 1-2 years if you don't get to it. A very good 2016 provencial rose I tried in 2018 felt like it had a bit low acidity compared to when I tried it in 2017, but it was still tasty.

Recently had an Austrian rose from 2015 which could definitely go at least a few more years (if not longer). Depends on if it has sufficient structure, like the Tercero rose, which is mouvedre.
$ ! n g h

J e s s e C

#75 Post by J e s s e C » February 26th, 2019, 3:03 pm

I second many of the international recommendations. Tempier is my benchmark rose. Domestically, Unti, Tercero, Bedrock (some years more than others), Sanglier (have only tried one vintage), and Limerick Lane have been pretty good to me. For many of these, I like their rose more than any other wine in their respective lineup.
j c h e n g

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#76 Post by Todd F r e n c h » February 26th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Bone-Jolly, in addition to several mentioned.

I'm gonna look out for CVNE rosado...but who knows if I'll find it
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Kirk.Grant » February 26th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Markus S wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 5:11 am
Kirk.Grant wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 4:49 am
... African blue basil salt...
esoteric
I know a guy that sells salts & spices!
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

David Baum

#78 Post by David Baum » February 26th, 2019, 5:23 pm

The Dehlinger Rose of Pinot Noir is a stunner. Easily my favorite domestic Rose each year. It was first released a few years ago with around 100 cases and 3 bottle max. They have been increasing production each year so now its not hard for list members to get a case or two. Its released in march each year as part of their Equinox release along with RR Syrah and Pinot Noir both around $30 and ready to pop n pour from day 1 as well. I look forward to this release each year.

Markus S

#79 Post by Markus S » February 26th, 2019, 5:38 pm

EHeffner wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 1:04 pm
I don't know. I still have some 10 year old ones that might be too young!
$ _ € ® e . k @

Brady Daniels

#80 Post by Brady Daniels » February 26th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Barry IncaRoads Sheck wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 3:44 pm
Always enjoy them sitting on a porch on a beautiful Summer day/eve, or as a splendid paring with some nice, light fare...but not once has a Rosé put me in that deep contemplative zone of oenophilic bliss.
No rose has ever “put me in that deep contemplative zone of oenophilic bliss” but I am completely fine with, “enjoy(ing) them sitting on a porch on a beautiful Summer day/eve, or as a splendid paring with some nice, light fare.” That sounds great, and imho is the proper role for rose.
-Brady D on CT - Omnivinovore

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Jim Stewart » February 27th, 2019, 5:05 am

. . . combining messages from two philosophers: "The 'wow' is the enemy of the "pretty, pretty good'".

g.colangelo
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by g.colangelo » February 27th, 2019, 5:22 am

Otto Forsberg wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 4:50 am
Valentini Cerasuolo d'Abruzzo can take on some serious aging with no problems. The best vintages can be remarkable acid bombs with impressive sense of concentration.
I personally would not call it acid bomb... What I find remarkable is how savory and complex it can get with some aging.
G i l b e r t o

Otto Forsberg

#83 Post by Otto Forsberg » February 27th, 2019, 9:28 am

g.colangelo wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 5:22 am
Otto Forsberg wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 4:50 am
Valentini Cerasuolo d'Abruzzo can take on some serious aging with no problems. The best vintages can be remarkable acid bombs with impressive sense of concentration.
I personally would not call it acid bomb... What I find remarkable is how savory and complex it can get with some aging.
Fully agree with the last sentence.

However, I checked out my own tasting notes for the Cerasuolo:
2014: The wine is very lively, medium-bodied and remarkably intense with ridiculously high acidity for a rosé with such ripeness.
2012: The racy acidity lends immense freshness, focus and sense of structure to the wine, yet the mouthfeel is relatively broad and oily despite the high acidity.
2008: The racy acidity lends good intensity and sense of structure to the wine.
2007: Typical for a Valentini Cerasuolo, the wine is very high in acidity, which lends it great intensity and sense of structure.
2005: The high acidity keeps the wine remarkably alive and extremely structured.

Of course some vintages like 2009, 2006 and 2003 showed less high acidity, but contrasting the normally rather mellow acidity many Italian Rosatos show, I'd happily label the typical style of Valentini's Cerasuolo very high in acidity. I don't know if the term "acid bomb" is just something you feel strongly about?

Markus S

#84 Post by Markus S » February 27th, 2019, 9:32 am

Otto Forsberg wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 9:28 am
... I'd happily label the typical style of Valentini's Cerasuolo very high in acidity. I don't know if the term "acid bomb" is just something you feel strongly about?
I'm not thinking of Valentini's rose as an acid bomb either. pileon Balanced, yes, but not overly acidic.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Otto Forsberg

#85 Post by Otto Forsberg » February 27th, 2019, 10:54 am

Markus S wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 9:32 am
Otto Forsberg wrote:
... I'd happily label the typical style of Valentini's Cerasuolo very high in acidity. I don't know if the term "acid bomb" is just something you feel strongly about?
I'm not thinking of Valentini's rose as an acid bomb either. pileon Balanced, yes, but not overly acidic.
But who ever talked about overly acidic? [scratch.gif]

Markus S

#86 Post by Markus S » February 27th, 2019, 11:03 am

Otto Forsberg wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 10:54 am
Markus S wrote:
Otto Forsberg wrote:
You did say bomb. [snort.gif]
$ _ € ® e . k @

Otto Forsberg

#87 Post by Otto Forsberg » February 27th, 2019, 11:09 am

Markus S wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 11:03 am
Otto Forsberg wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 10:54 am
Markus S wrote:

You did say bomb. [snort.gif]
Yes, I most certainly did. However, I never once said that the wines were overly acidic. When one describes a wine as an acid bomb, I'm most likely all ears in an instant.

Mark Cochard

#88 Post by Mark Cochard » February 28th, 2019, 10:38 am

Domaine Delaporte Sancerre Rose 2016 blew the doors off the other rose in a tasting a year ago

Sheldrake Point Rose 2016,
Bridge Lane Rose 2016
Hudson-Chatham Rose

Adelsheim Rose of Pinot Noir 2016, Willamette Valley
Benton-Lane Rose of Pinto Noir 2016, Willamette Valley, OR
Eola Hills Pinot Noir Rose.

Domaine Ott Chateau de Selle
Chateau Miraval

Austria –Burgenland Neusiedlersee-Hügelland
Heidi Schrock Rose Biscaya 2015

Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Mark.Ricca » February 28th, 2019, 11:49 am

Jerry Hey wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 5:15 pm
PYCM rosé from Pinot Noir - the most like a glass of great wine I've tried.
He makes a rosé?

flirtysmile
ITB
"Bacon would improve the flavor of an angel"
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
"We're a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, really like licorice."

Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Mark.Ricca » February 28th, 2019, 11:56 am

Wow being completely and utterly relative, Tempier w/age is lovely.
Still a big fan of the Sinskey Vin Gris.
Still a huge fan of Lancyre Rose.
Love Chat. Maris Nymph Emue.

And just recently discovered Cleto Chiarli's Spumante of Pinot Noir. This I can drink day in and out. Really good quality sparkler for < $20.
ITB
"Bacon would improve the flavor of an angel"
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
"We're a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, really like licorice."

Scott Goodwin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Scott Goodwin » February 28th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Mark Cochard wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 10:38 am
Domaine Delaporte Sancerre Rose 2016 blew the doors off the other rose in a tasting a year ago

Bridge Lane Rose 2016
Hudson-Chatham Rose

Chateau Miraval

Question for you - are the rest of the wines in this list the wines tasted alongside the Delaporte? Or are these all "wow" rosés? I'm asking because I had the '16 Bridge Lane rosé which I thought was quite nice (especially for the price) but probably not a "wow" rosé for me. The '17 was a disappointment in comparison. TIA.

Kevin Sidders
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by Kevin Sidders » February 28th, 2019, 12:21 pm

The last "wow" rose I had was from Proprieta Sperino in Alto Piemonte -- rose of Nebbiolo with a little Vespolina. Under $20 and absolutely delicious.
(ITB) VinConnect Inc.
Mailing lists for top European wineries

Jerry Hey

#93 Post by Jerry Hey » February 28th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Mark.Ricca wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 11:49 am
Jerry Hey wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 5:15 pm
PYCM rosé from Pinot Noir - the most like a glass of great wine I've tried.
He makes a rosé?

flirtysmile
Yes, but probably in minuscule quantities. I think '15 was his first vintage and it's a wine you can actually sit with for a while.

Mark Cochard

#94 Post by Mark Cochard » February 28th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Scott Goodwin wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 12:06 pm
Mark Cochard wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 10:38 am

Bridge Lane Rose 2016
Hudson-Chatham Rose

Chateau Miraval

Question for you - are the rest of the wines in this list the wines tasted alongside the Delaporte? Or are these all "wow" rosés? I'm asking because I had the '16 Bridge Lane rosé which I thought was quite nice (especially for the price) but probably not a "wow" rosé for me. The '17 was a disappointment in comparison. TIA.
They were tasted in 4 flights.
Starter
1. Schramsberg Rose 2014 (sparkling)

Flight #1
2. Sancerre
Domaine Delaporte Rose 2016

3. Austria –Burgenland Neusiedlersee-Hügelland

Flight #2
New York
4. Sheldrake Point Rose 2016

5. Bridge Lane Rose 2016

6. Hudson-Chatham Rose

Flight #3
Oregon
7. Adelsheim Rose of Pinot Noir 2016, Willamette Valley

8. Benton-Lane Rose of Pinot Noir 2016, Willamette Valley

9. Eola Hills Pinot Noir Rose.

Flight #4
Provence
10. Vallee des Pins 2016 Coteaux D'Aix en Provence

11. Chateau Miraval

12. Domaine Ott Chateau de Selle

David Griffith

#95 Post by David Griffith » February 28th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Domaine du Bagnol Cassis Rose is my favorite.
David Griffith ~ ITB

Alex N

#96 Post by Alex N » February 28th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Have had plenty of bad rose. Most of the rose I buy is average $18-25, sometimes more and usually in the 88-90 range if I were to put a number on it. For me it's "convenient" wine that's always in the house. I often drink it in a bucket glass, sometimes deglaze my pan with it. Not sure how any of these talented winemakers in this area could f*ckup a or sell a bad rose with all the good juice they have access to and competition. I've had Tercero, and Kaena and Stolpman across the street from him and a zillion other wineries in that area. Never had a wow rose that knocked my socks off. I don't think I've ever expected that from rose. Also, I've never typed the accent mark over the "e" in rose. [snort.gif]
Alex Nichols

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#97 Post by larry schaffer » February 28th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Alex N wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 7:36 pm
Have had plenty of bad rose. Most of the rose I buy is average $18-25, sometimes more and usually in the 88-90 range if I were to put a number on it. For me it's "convenient" wine that's always in the house. I often drink it in a bucket glass, sometimes deglaze my pan with it. Not sure how any of these talented winemakers in this area could f*ckup a or sell a bad rose with all the good juice they have access to and competition. I've had Tercero, and Kaena and Stolpman across the street from him and a zillion other wineries in that area. Never had a wow rose that knocked my socks off. I don't think I've ever expected that from rose. Also, I've never typed the accent mark over the "e" in rose. [snort.gif]
Alex,

Thanks for piping in - and not sure if we met in person or not when you were in. Do you live in the area?

Not sure if you're saying that all of us are making bad rose or that it's not possible to with the fruit we work with? Perhaps you can explain further if you don't mind.

And I hear you - these wines just don't do it for you.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by Randy Bowman » February 28th, 2019, 8:15 pm

Wow Rose has always involved high temperatures for me. I drink it chilled, primarily in the summer months, you know, cool, refreshing and ample fruit flavors. Generally as a quaff but occasionally a warm up and accompaniment to Hors d'oeuvres. I was surprised by some of the French Roses. They could have little color but very good fruit up front, light body and acidity like you find in a SB. The finish was not measured in minutes and I don't think they were intended to. The color of a French Rose is absolutely no indication on how fruity the wine is.

Another interesting thing about Rose is which grape was chosen. Traditional if there is one or by the imagination of the winemaker. Joey Tensley made a Rose from Syrah that I had a several year affair with. It looked like an old time Pinot in the glass and may have given Kosta Browne Kanzler Vineyard P/N a run for the money.

Macario Montoya has been making his Rose from Grenache as the Campesino Isa. Each vintage has varied some, but all have been remarkable. I look at his current release and it has less color than last vintage, yet the fruit delivers in spades and the acidity shows in mid palate in a complimentary way.

There was a day I would pass on a glass of Rose. Now I find it interesting and educational to try a Rose. I will also admit I bought a bottle of Mateus Rose in 1973 to take to a dinner party I was invited to. It was upscale to the Red Mountain jug Cab and Annie Green Springs we were drinking at the time.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Maxwell A.

#99 Post by Maxwell A. » February 28th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Pat Esposito wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 6:43 am
Nick Kra Mar Ski wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 4:51 am
Justin Wittkopf wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 4:38 am
Surprised this one has not been named, yet. It’s by far the best Rose I’ve ever tasted and I think its the highest rated Rose by the “pro critics”, as well.

Chateau d'Esclans Rose Garrus. The 2016 was given 97 points by Decanter.

I had this served to me by Claude Blankiet at a tasting where he was trying to show his Blankiet Rose (damn fine wine, too) against the “best rose in the world”, the Chateau d’Esclans. I remember the tasting well. It was my first time with this wine and it blew me away. Honestly didn’t believe a rose wine would ever do that to me.
That is likely because OP asked for $40-50 range.

Only one above that range I'd say (and I'm just going to crimp from my Rose thread I started yesterday morning) is Antica Terra's Angelicall; in order of "wow"

Antica Terra - Angelicall
Clos Cibonne
Ch Pradeaux
Dom de l'Abbaye - Clos Beylesse
Big fan of the Angelicall. just opened an '11 with plenty of life in it. Of course, the style is very different from your typical Rose

SQN is well above the price range but certainly Wow IMO

Lopez de Heredia Rosado 2008 is my "wow" rose. I found it at retail for about $22 a bottle. I really wish I had bought more than 2...

I recently found some 2017 Vacheron Rose on sale for $18, so I'm gonna give that a try.
Max Andrle

Instagram - musigny_max

g.colangelo
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by g.colangelo » March 1st, 2019, 2:33 am

Otto Forsberg wrote:
However, I checked out my own tasting notes for the Cerasuolo:
2014: The wine is very lively, medium-bodied and remarkably intense with ridiculously high acidity for a rosé with such ripeness.
2012: The racy acidity lends immense freshness, focus and sense of structure to the wine, yet the mouthfeel is relatively broad and oily despite the high acidity.
2008: The racy acidity lends good intensity and sense of structure to the wine.
2007: Typical for a Valentini Cerasuolo, the wine is very high in acidity, which lends it great intensity and sense of structure.
2005: The high acidity keeps the wine remarkably alive and extremely structured.

Of course some vintages like 2009, 2006 and 2003 showed less high acidity, but contrasting the normally rather mellow acidity many Italian Rosatos show, I'd happily label the typical style of Valentini's Cerasuolo very high in acidity. I don't know if the term "acid bomb" is just something you feel strongly about?
No big deal, Otto. Anyway I also went to check my TN, and out of three of them (2007, 08, 10) only in one I mentioned "high acidity". I wouldn't call them acid bombs, but that's personal, I guess.
G i l b e r t o

Return to “Wine Talk”