The search for a “wow” Rosé

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Markus S

Re: The search for a “wow” Rosé

#101 Post by Markus S » March 1st, 2019, 5:09 am

Randy Bowman wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 8:15 pm
...Rose has always involved high temperatures for me. I drink it chilled, primarily in the summer months, you know, cool, refreshing and ample fruit flavors. Generally as a quaff but occasionally a warm up and accompaniment to Hors d'oeuvres....
This is totally opposite of how I drink them. I like them in winter months to brighten the mood and use them with the meal, as they are substantial (at least the ones I drink). I don't quaff any rose.
$ _ € ® e . k @

EHeffner

#102 Post by EHeffner » March 1st, 2019, 6:30 am

I love rose with food. Perfect balance for spicy meals. Champagne or rose, I can pair with anything lol
E v a n

Seth L.

#103 Post by Seth L. » March 1st, 2019, 7:37 am

Others have mentioned: Simone, Cibonne, Tempier, Gros Noré - all super followed by value Peyrassol

BUT
for me: Clos Signadore is my hands down favorite, from Corsica and for me blows away Lecia on all fronts (the red is stunning too!!) - fairly new to market (a few years) and not known very well -- I brought in 5 cases when at Claudette and could not keep it in stock - very small amount comes to NYC
Seth Liebman

Alex N

#104 Post by Alex N » March 1st, 2019, 10:12 am

larry schaffer wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 8:01 pm
Alex N wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 7:36 pm
Have had plenty of bad rose. Most of the rose I buy is average $18-25, sometimes more and usually in the 88-90 range if I were to put a number on it. For me it's "convenient" wine that's always in the house. I often drink it in a bucket glass, sometimes deglaze my pan with it. Not sure how any of these talented winemakers in this area could f*ckup a or sell a bad rose with all the good juice they have access to and competition. I've had Tercero, and Kaena and Stolpman across the street from him and a zillion other wineries in that area. Never had a wow rose that knocked my socks off. I don't think I've ever expected that from rose. Also, I've never typed the accent mark over the "e" in rose. [snort.gif]
Alex,

Thanks for piping in - and not sure if we met in person or not when you were in. Do you live in the area?

Not sure if you're saying that all of us are making bad rose or that it's not possible to with the fruit we work with? Perhaps you can explain further if you don't mind.

And I hear you - these wines just don't do it for you.

Cheers.
Oh man, I wrote a well thought reply last night and it logged me out when I submitted the post. Not sure what's happening there.

Larry, I've been to your tasting room a few times and last was especially great. If it was you that was there, you poured us an awesome lineup and opened some nice aged wines. I really love wine and I'd say my experience is intermediate at best, and my take was that the wines I tasted were super balanced and not overdone, polished and round (hey, I do like my fruit bombs too). Really classy and it seems you've found your own style. Not my favorite, but easily the most memorable and interesting that entire weekend, was a clear bottle of cab sauv(?) that saw no time in a barrel. I think that sort of thing takes some balls to make with the varietal still seeming to be predominantly oaked to the point that the fruit takes a back seat (maybe a little over stated there?). We took home a few bottles and I've long since drank them [cheers.gif]

About the rose, I think my point was there are so many talented winemakers in SB County and there is so much good fruit (I think?), I think it would be difficult to find a bad rose from any those winemakers. I don't think I'd ever negatively review a wine or winemaker on a public forum, so I may have worded it poorly above and hope that makes sense,. I love rose and about 6 months of the year it's the dominant wine in the house and drank the most often, so I don't go too spendy on it like I do with my favorite reds and blends etc. It's my kool-aid so to speak. After reading the comments I should seek out a few of those. When I think of Provence and the stuff I buy, I think of affordable weekend lunch/porch rose. Tasty and refreshing but I haven't had one I'd put up there with my favorite whites and reds.

Look forward to my next visit to L.O. and I'll stop by for sure! I live about an hour away and stop through a few times per year.
@13x N1ch•!z

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#105 Post by larry schaffer » March 1st, 2019, 11:14 am

Alex,

Thanks for the reply - and the clarification. And if extra wines were opened, it definitely was me! And that wine you are talking about is my 2016 aberration - 100% cab franc, 100% whole cluster, foot stomped by me and then fermented with the stems, aged 100% in stainless steel and bottled in clear bottles. A fun and unique wine indeed!

Let me now next time you are up - will try to be in once again.

And I understand your general thoughts on rose - and certainly appreciate that. That said, there are some 'less than stellar' roses in this area - actually quite a few of them. But some great ones as well.

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Chuck Miller » March 1st, 2019, 12:18 pm

I just opened a bottle of the 2017 Tercero Rose last nght and thoroughly enjoyed it. Wowed? Maybe not, but i haven’t been wowed by other great roses either. I tried to think of my ideal rose that would wow me, and the only thing I could imagine is if Rayas made a rose of grenache. One can dream...
Chuck Miller
Seattle Wine Storage

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Jud Reis » March 1st, 2019, 1:48 pm

I am quite partial to Domaine Terrebrune in Bandol. A friend ages them and last summer had a spectacular 20 year old bottle that had picked up some fantastic complex tertiary notes and complexity.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#108 Post by larry schaffer » March 1st, 2019, 1:56 pm

Chuck Miller wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 12:18 pm
I just opened a bottle of the 2017 Tercero Rose last nght and thoroughly enjoyed it. Wowed? Maybe not, but i haven’t been wowed by other great roses either. I tried to think of my ideal rose that would wow me, and the only thing I could imagine is if Rayas made a rose of grenache. One can dream...
Chuck,

Thanks for your notes - and sorry it didn't 'wow' you [snort.gif] Actually, this thread really is an interesting one - Rose is something for most that is just something to pound and not necessarily to sit with and 'analyze' like one would with other varieties. And I totally get that . . .

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by Chuck Miller » March 1st, 2019, 4:47 pm

Larry, I liked it! Wowing me is tough. Besides, that case purchase more than doubled the amount of USA wine in my cellar! You should be proud. And infinitely increased the amount of rose in my cellar.
Chuck Miller
Seattle Wine Storage

SteveG

#110 Post by SteveG » March 2nd, 2019, 9:27 am

Chuck Miller wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 12:18 pm
There's this:

Says rhone blend so not sure the Grenache portion, and tastes like red with white texture, but same winemaker.
steve gurevitz

dave kammerer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by dave kammerer » March 2nd, 2019, 9:48 am

Our favorite is Domaine de Mourchon Côtes du Rhône Villages Séguret Rosé Loubié, we go through at least 2 or 3 cases a year.

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Hank Victor » March 2nd, 2019, 3:00 pm

I had a "WOW" rose. It was Cornelissen susucaru.

It wow'd me by being so flawed.
P! - ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

"Two years away from being two years away”

Otto Forsberg

#113 Post by Otto Forsberg » March 3rd, 2019, 12:13 pm

Hank Victor wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 3:00 pm
I had a "WOW" rose. It was Cornelissen susucaru.

It wow'd me by being so flawed.
I had Susucaru once, blind. Guessed it was a naturalist Poulsard red from Jura. Lovely stuff, not at all flawed. Perhaps you just had an off bottle?

Markus S

#114 Post by Markus S » March 3rd, 2019, 12:14 pm

dave kammerer wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 9:48 am
Our favorite is Domaine de Mourchon Côtes du Rhône Villages Séguret Rosé Loubié, we go through at least 2 or 3 cases a year.
Like your photo. The cat looks so dignified in it.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Greg Mitrakas

#115 Post by Greg Mitrakas » May 14th, 2019, 10:08 am

Valentini makes a WOW rose. To my palate it's clearly in a class of its own and is a kaleidascope of flavors. Getting rare as hen's teeth as they used to say.

J. Rock

#116 Post by J. Rock » May 14th, 2019, 12:23 pm

i'm generally not a big rose fan but I was really impressed with Pol Roger vintage rose and also was surprised how much I liked Schramsberg Brut Rose.
J o r d a n

Rory K.

#117 Post by Rory K. » May 14th, 2019, 12:27 pm

I'll +1 to Emidio Pepe and Valentini's Rosato, but neither are easy to find.

In the US, I also love Tercero and Ode to Lulu, and can recommend Unti's Rose as well.
K i n n e a r

ITB

Robert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by Robert R » May 14th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Hammell Wine Alliance Rose of True Believer is a WOW wine... Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre, viognier, and Roussane. Bright and fresh.
Robert R@thfi3ld

LMD Ermitaño

#119 Post by LMD Ermitaño » May 14th, 2019, 8:09 pm

My two (close) favourites are the rosés of Tempier & Biondi Santi. Ott’s Romassan rosé is reliable. Those of d’Esclans, I only really like their “entry level” Whispering Angel (their higher bottlings, especially their Garrus, seem over-wrought - not as fun as the Whispering Angel).
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#120 Post by G. Bienstock » May 14th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Hard to find but Clos Saron Rose is complex and ageworthy. There may be some library bottles available.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by Matt Latuchie » May 14th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Lambrays
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

Pat Martin

#122 Post by Pat Martin » May 15th, 2019, 7:42 pm

The 2018 Ridge Lytton Estate Rose wowed us all (from vat) during a visit to Lytton Springs in January. Just got my 6 bottles and I am (surprisingly) giddy to try it again. It was pretty close to magic in its pure, crystalline, unadulterated simplicity.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

G. Greenbaum

#123 Post by G. Greenbaum » May 16th, 2019, 1:32 pm

In order of preference:
Lopez de Heredia
Bonavita Rosato
Cornelissen Susucaru
Musar
Abbatucci Cuvée Faustine

For me, some Etna rosatos and Corsican roses are in another league.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Siun o'Connell » May 16th, 2019, 9:01 pm

I never get the Rose is only a porch drink ... then again I don't have a porch. I like Matthiasson Rose and I adore Tercero and drink it with real pleasure during all four seasons, with and without food. Beautiful balance and energy ... and very good wine.

EHeffner

#125 Post by EHeffner » July 6th, 2019, 1:51 pm

My wine shop just got in two cases of R Lopez de Heredia rosado 2009 but asking $135 is a bit tough. They also just got in some 2017 liquid farm so will try that for over $100 less
E v a n

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#126 Post by larry schaffer » July 6th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Just got in 2017 LF, not 2018? Interesting . . .
larry schaffer
tercero wines

YLee

#127 Post by YLee » July 6th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Siun o'Connell wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 9:01 pm
I never get the Rose is only a porch drink ... then again I don't have a porch. I like Matthiasson Rose and I adore Tercero and drink it with real pleasure during all four seasons, with and without food. Beautiful balance and energy ... and very good wine.
Agreed. Rose is a drink that is flexible with many types of cuisines for me or without food.

One thing I dont get is people who drink sweeter wines (rose or rieslings) for spicy foods. I eat spicy foods to enjoy the taste of the spice. I would understand it if it was a off dry riesling though.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

EHeffner

#128 Post by EHeffner » July 6th, 2019, 2:48 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 2:32 pm
Just got in 2017 LF, not 2018? Interesting . . .
I thought interesting as well but first time I’m seeing it in retail in South Florida so I’m not complaining. Would have bought more if 2018 though
E v a n

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#129 Post by larry schaffer » July 6th, 2019, 3:16 pm

YLee wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 2:40 pm
Siun o'Connell wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 9:01 pm
Agreed. Rose is a drink that is flexible with many types of cuisines for me or without food.

One thing I dont get is people who drink sweeter wines (rose or rieslings) for spicy foods. I eat spicy foods to enjoy the taste of the spice. I would understand it if it was a off dry riesling though.
When it comes to Asian and Indian spices, sweet seems to really pair wonderfully, 'calming' the spice and creating a harmonious pairing (define as you may) . . .

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by Joshua Kates » July 6th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Just drank the PYCM 2017 Rose de Pinot Noir. Also not a "wow" wine, but definitely a "drink all day" wine. A different beast than the Provencal Roses and other Mouvedre (or Syrah or so on) based ones. Lighter in color and lighter on its feet, but awesomely pretty with some cool complexity (slate) and length on the finish.

Return to “Wine Talk”