2018 Ridge Monte Bello futures offer

The price is up $8 per 750 compared to last year …

750ml @ $132, was $124
1.5L @ $267, was $251

The premium for a magnum, $3, remains incredibly low.

Despite the price increase, I was bummed I couldn’t increase my allocation slightly.

The 2014 was priced at $98, so over the last 5 years the price has increased by ~6% per year. Not nearly the bargain that it was in 2005 when the futures price was $65, but in comparison to Schrader and others that are in the $225-$350 price range, the $132 price still seems slightly underpriced.

I think we have this conversation every year about this time. Looking back through old offers, I find the prices were:

2011 $90
2012 $95
2013 $98
2014 $105
2015 $110
2016 $115
2017 $124
2018 $132

A pretty steady increase year over year, up almost 50% since the 2011 was offered in 2012. IMHO, still a fair value though.

One of my easiest purchases every year—like paying a utility bill. The price remains very reasonable for one of CA’s most iconic and longest-lived wines. That’s especially so given the consistent quality and strong-ish secondary market.

Do I understand the marketing material correctly in that to get Monte Bello futures you have to take bottles of Estate Cabernet, Merlot and Chardonnay? But, the quantity can be one of each?

I only get MB but I’ve been buying for a while.

It’s an easy buy for me.

My understanding is that long-time buyers have been grandfathered in and can just buy MB. Newer folks need to buy an assortment. I don’t know exactly how much.

I’m in the newer folks category. It’s 1 each of the Estate Cab, Estate Merlot, and Estate Chardonnay. I haven’t tried asking to skip the Estate purchase as these tend to be great quality as well. You can definitely change the mix, though (e.g. change the 1 chard to another cab or merlot).

I’ve been on the futures list for about 12 years now and buy only the Monte Bello.

I just joined this year and haven’t been offered the Monte Bello yet. Perhaps because I’m brand new and yields appear to be down in 2018, they will wait until May to let me know. Any risk of not getting an allocation at all?

Looks like a visit to the FAQ page got my question answered.

https://www.ridgewine.com/wine-club-membership/member-faqs/

Do have to purchase at least one bottle of the three Estate Varietals. They estimate $128 for those three bottles with $406 for the minimum Monte Bello futures investment.

How do you guys think about the value of Ridge MB vs Montelena Estate? Montelena is a little less expensive on futures. In full disclosure, I’m subscribed to both.

I have been a MB club member about 7 or 8 years. After 2 or 3, I requested that the forced estate wines purchase be removed from my account, and Ridge did it. So I now only receive the 2 bottles of MB each year. One of the things I found annoying was that Ridge would not consolidate the shipments of the estate and MB wines. I first requested that, was denied, then asked the estate wines be removed and that went through.

They are very different wines, so I don’t compare them.

Personally, the expression of the Montebello Road subregion is incomparable and hits home for me. Ridge is the modern benchmark there. I couldn’t care less in Montelena hits the same objective level of quality or not. Monte Bello is essential, Montelena is not. YMMV.

Yes, this has changed. I am in the new category and have only purchased 1 bottle of the estate cab and chard. Both are very good wines.

I love all my children equally except for when I love one most of all.

This is one of the best buys in California. You have to dig American Oak and more classically styled wines. Like a cross between 70’s Bordeaux and Old school Rioja? Never an off year, though, and I’ve tasted every MB from 1977 to 2014.

On futures, based on both retail and auction, your investment is solid and appreciated by almost 40% as soon as you buy it. The Estate wines (I buy 1 of each) are great but different beasts.

I am now up to a 6x750, 1x 1.5 and 1x3L every year. Just wish I could get them in OWC. Any ideas on that one?

And I wish i could get futures pricing on their SVD Merlots.

Ridge does sell OWC separately on their website in 750ml, 1.5L and 3L sizes.