TN: 3 with Jerry

a Saturday evening with the Heys, always fun. Food was really good at Michael’s on Naples, stemware excellent. One of the best duck dishes I’ve had in eons, good lobster risotto, food and wine matched well.

71 Dom Perignon had a tiny wizened cork, no fizz, sherried in appearance and taste. Dead.

05 Ramonet BBM was excellent, showing the vintage fatness, but broad and deep in flavors, lemon curd, minerals, great flavors, could have used a bit more acidity

88 Leroy Vosne Romanée Aux Reas was at peak and showing delicious flavors, beetroot, dark berries, spice, tannins resolved, punching above its lieux dits weight.

A good night.

2 out of 3 ain’t bad !

Yes, it was a good night at Michael’s. The waiter had tastes of all three and surprisingly commented very well on each. The duck was so tender and the crab salad was a nice starter. The risotto was a little bland but the lobster in it was good. Too bad about the 71 Dom, it almost tasted like tokaji. The Ramonet BBM was full bodied with a bit a mint, good length but not the blockbuster that some vintages I’ve had. The '88 Leroy VR aux Reas was purchased on release for what now seems like a ridiculous price of $20 or so. The hard wax seal was still in perfect shape as was the bottle. Being a lieu dit, this wine showed above it class with dark fruits, a bit of truffle, and smooth tannins. As always, the conversation was as good as the wines.

Love Michael’s. The prior chef served the duck med rare, sliced with a beautiful sauce, but at some point switched to a whole breast coming out, and wasn’t as good for me. Are they still serving the duck as a whole breast, or was it sliced?

two thick slices of perfectly prepared med rare duck. Sauce savory and not sweet. Came w squash that was dry and not interesting, but the duck shined.

was the leroy a domaine bottling? i thought the only vosne village was the genaivrieres?

Domaine. From the year she bought Noellat.

Nice night fellas. Pity about the Dom, really good fizz when its on.

Thanks for the notes. Had a great bottle of this ‘88 Leroy with folks a few months ago - our bottle had umami to go with its dark berries and truffles. Lots of life left. The second best village wine that night…