Berserkerday wines, then and now!

• 2015 Liquid Farm Chardonnay Golden Slope - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (2/23/2019)
    A 2019 Berserkerday wine. I had Liquid Farm once before, at Falltacular a few years ago. I was concerned then because the style seemed to be an overly IPOB Acid Freak wine. I heard that they had dialed it back a bit so I ordered two for Berserkerday and I’m glad I did. They maintained reasonable acidity while keeping the fruit component of a good California chardonnay. Nice fruit and mineral melange. My guess was mostly stainless steel with a bit of oak or perhaps all neutral oak. The bottle doesn’t say. Grapes from four vineyards in the Sants Rita Hills. I like this wine as a voluptuous version of an IPOB chardonnay, or a toned down version of a very ripe California creamy oaky chardonnay. In other words, well balanced and flavorful without being a caricature.

We also noticed that after 30 minutes of air, the wine filled out and added more fruit to the flavor profile. Years ago, David Ramey suggested to me that we should always decant chardonnay for 30-60 minutes. My wife, my son and I all felt that the wine improved with air and we recommend a short decant. (92 pts.)

• 2007 Cabot Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Humboldt County - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (2/23/2019)
    Another Berserkerday wine from a few years ago. Excellent value. Two and a half hour decant. At the end of infancy. Tannins are resolved so there is no tannic bite. Red fruit and a very smooth mouth feel. Nice balance. No additional flavors of age but I believe that more fruit will break through. A colder climate cabernet without the ripeness of a Napa cab.Less fruit forward but still very pleasant. Well made. Could have used even more air, by the way. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker