Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

Which do you usually prefer in Rieslings?

• Trocken
  • Kabinett
  • Spatlese
  • Auslese

0 voters

Kabinett, Spatlese, Auslese or Trocken?

Can I pick old as a write in?

Fully depends on age of wine to pick a Prädikat.

I like all levels, but I would pick Kabinett for the poll. My wife loves trocken, so we tend to have more of that (fine with me).

I totally agree with this.

I drink far more trocken than anything else, so I guess that’s my preference.

Kabinett. Young and fresh.

Flawed poll; it only allows me to vote for one Pradikat. [cheers.gif]

+2.

Same here except my spouse prefers Spätlese.

I like the Spatlese when dining at a Thai restaurant we go to often. Goes great with spicy food and they have many aged wines.

Older Spatlesen

All of the above. Sometimes a Kabinett, sometimes a Spat and sometimes in the mood for an Auslese. I enjoy them at all stages of development.

A very important point. Generally, my preference is for Spatlesen, but my appreciation for Auslesen has grown as I get older and see more examples with 20+ years on them.

Generally Kabinett, trocken too.

Not a good poll.

A Kabinett, Spätlese, Auslese … all can be “trocken” (dry) or off-dry …
AND when off-dry the residual sugar can vary a great deal … from slightly off-dry to quite sweet …

Trocken is a designation of (very low) RS in the finished wine, while Kabinett, Spätlese, Auslese are Prädikate, indicating the ripeness (and potential alcohol) at harvest time …

How about feinherb and halbtrocken?

“Feinherb” is not legally defined, it means a taste somewhere between 9 and app.30 gram residual sugar.

“halbtrocken” legally is a wine with either max. 12 gr. RS, or up to 18 gr. when the acidity is no more than 10 gr. below.
More than that is “lieblich” … up to 45 gr./l - and above 45 is “süß” (sweet).

Thanks but I am aware of the definitions :slight_smile: I was merely asking why the OP did not include them as options…

And
QBA Trocken
Kabinett Trocken
Spätlese Trocken
Auslese Trocken
I have a few from the good producers and like them all

Exactly. I love them all and drink them all on a regular basis. More spatlese gets consumed because it’s my wife’s favorite.