Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine

Which do you usually prefer in Rieslings?

Trocken
37
25%
Kabinett
53
36%
Spatlese
49
33%
Auslese
10
7%
 
Total votes: 149

Message
Author
YLee
Posts: 1273
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#1 Post by YLee » February 23rd, 2019, 6:57 am

Kabinett, Spatlese, Auslese or Trocken?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4550
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Poll: Which type of rieslings do you usually prefer?

#2 Post by Kris Patten » February 23rd, 2019, 7:07 am

Can I pick old as a write in?

Fully depends on age of wine to pick a Prädikat.
ITB

User avatar
Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4330
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 9:04 am
Location: Oldenburg, Germany

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#3 Post by Henry Kiichli » February 23rd, 2019, 7:10 am

I like all levels, but I would pick Kabinett for the poll. My wife loves trocken, so we tend to have more of that (fine with me).
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

Odd Rydland
Posts: 500
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 12:46 pm
Location: Bergen, Norway

Re: Poll: Which type of rieslings do you usually prefer?

#4 Post by Odd Rydland » February 23rd, 2019, 8:53 am

Kris Patten wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 7:07 am
Can I pick old as a write in?

Fully depends on age of wine to pick a Prädikat.
I totally agree with this.

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5121
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: MA

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#5 Post by Doug Schulman » February 23rd, 2019, 8:59 am

I drink far more trocken than anything else, so I guess that's my preference.
ITB - retail sales and education

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21372
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#6 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » February 23rd, 2019, 9:03 am

Kabinett. Young and fresh.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4916
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#7 Post by M.Kaplan » February 23rd, 2019, 9:28 am

Flawed poll; it only allows me to vote for one Pradikat. [cheers.gif]
---Mark

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18188
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Poll: Which type of rieslings do you usually prefer?

#8 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 23rd, 2019, 9:38 am

Odd Rydland wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 8:53 am
Kris Patten wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 7:07 am
Can I pick old as a write in?

Fully depends on age of wine to pick a Prädikat.
I totally agree with this.
+2.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1503
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 2:14 pm
Location: El Cerrito CA

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#9 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » February 23rd, 2019, 7:54 pm

Henry Kiichli wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 7:10 am
I like all levels, but I would pick Kabinett for the poll. My wife loves trocken, so we tend to have more of that (fine with me).
Same here except my spouse prefers Spätlese.
Cheers,
Paul

Brian Glas
Posts: 144
Joined: April 25th, 2018, 8:01 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#10 Post by Brian Glas » February 23rd, 2019, 8:00 pm

I like the Spatlese when dining at a Thai restaurant we go to often. Goes great with spicy food and they have many aged wines.

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16021
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#11 Post by David K o l i n » February 23rd, 2019, 8:18 pm

Older Spatlesen

User avatar
John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1597
Joined: January 14th, 2010, 9:54 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#12 Post by John Glas » February 23rd, 2019, 8:23 pm

All of the above. Sometimes a Kabinett, sometimes a Spat and sometimes in the mood for an Auslese. I enjoy them at all stages of development.

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1309
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Poll: Which type of rieslings do you usually prefer?

#13 Post by Tom Reddick » February 23rd, 2019, 9:22 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 7:07 am
Can I pick old as a write in?

Fully depends on age of wine to pick a Prädikat.
A very important point. Generally, my preference is for Spatlesen, but my appreciation for Auslesen has grown as I get older and see more examples with 20+ years on them.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

bob parsons alberta
Posts: 1426
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 10:05 am

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#14 Post by bob parsons alberta » February 23rd, 2019, 10:18 pm

Generally Kabinett, trocken too.

Gerhard P.
Posts: 4844
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#15 Post by Gerhard P. » February 24th, 2019, 12:37 am

Not a good poll.

A Kabinett, Spätlese, Auslese ... all can be "trocken" (dry) or off-dry ...
AND when off-dry the residual sugar can vary a great deal ... from slightly off-dry to quite sweet ...

Trocken is a designation of (very low) RS in the finished wine, while Kabinett, Spätlese, Auslese are Prädikate, indicating the ripeness (and potential alcohol) at harvest time ...
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

User avatar
IlkkaL
Posts: 760
Joined: June 11th, 2015, 12:40 am
Location: Helsinki

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#16 Post by IlkkaL » February 24th, 2019, 12:52 am

How about feinherb and halbtrocken?
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

Gerhard P.
Posts: 4844
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#17 Post by Gerhard P. » February 24th, 2019, 3:19 am

IlkkaL wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 12:52 am
How about feinherb and halbtrocken?
"Feinherb" is not legally defined, it means a taste somewhere between 9 and app.30 gram residual sugar.

"halbtrocken" legally is a wine with either max. 12 gr. RS, or up to 18 gr. when the acidity is no more than 10 gr. below.
More than that is "lieblich" ... up to 45 gr./l - and above 45 is "süß" (sweet).
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

User avatar
IlkkaL
Posts: 760
Joined: June 11th, 2015, 12:40 am
Location: Helsinki

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#18 Post by IlkkaL » February 24th, 2019, 3:24 am

Gerhard P. wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 3:19 am
IlkkaL wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 12:52 am
How about feinherb and halbtrocken?
"Feinherb" is not legally defined, it means a taste somewhere between 9 and app.30 gram residual sugar.

"halbtrocken" legally is a wine with either max. 12 gr. RS, or up to 18 gr. when the acidity is no more than 10 gr. below.
More than that is "lieblich" ... up to 45 gr./l - and above 45 is "süß" (sweet).
Thanks but I am aware of the definitions :) I was merely asking why the OP did not include them as options...
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

User avatar
Claus Jeppesen
Posts: 1723
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 2:42 am

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#19 Post by Claus Jeppesen » February 24th, 2019, 4:47 am

And
QBA Trocken
Kabinett Trocken
Spätlese Trocken
Auslese Trocken
I have a few from the good producers and like them all
Claus

Riesling and Slate

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33175
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#20 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 24th, 2019, 4:58 am

M.Kaplan wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 9:28 am
Flawed poll; it only allows me to vote for one Pradikat. [cheers.gif]
Exactly. I love them all and drink them all on a regular basis. More spatlese gets consumed because it’s my wife’s favorite.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

YLee
Posts: 1273
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#21 Post by YLee » February 24th, 2019, 5:13 am

I wanted to make this a simple poll without getting too detailed just to see what people usually go for.

If I listed every single type out everyone will say "depends".
-¥ 0 ñ 9

User avatar
Otto Forsberg
Posts: 829
Joined: December 28th, 2017, 4:26 am
Location: Finland

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#22 Post by Otto Forsberg » February 24th, 2019, 5:21 am

Gerhard P. wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 12:37 am
Not a good poll.

A Kabinett, Spätlese, Auslese ... all can be "trocken" (dry) or off-dry ...
AND when off-dry the residual sugar can vary a great deal ... from slightly off-dry to quite sweet ...

Trocken is a designation of (very low) RS in the finished wine, while Kabinett, Spätlese, Auslese are Prädikate, indicating the ripeness (and potential alcohol) at harvest time ...
Seconded. I just looked at the options and thought that this makes no sense.

Not to mention that one can pick only one option! [cheers.gif]

User avatar
John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 921
Joined: February 26th, 2009, 8:40 am

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#23 Post by John Webber » February 24th, 2019, 7:31 am

I know food and wine pairing is BS talk for idiots, but it depends on what i'm eating. No food and I would reach for trocken every time.

User avatar
Gray G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 451
Joined: August 20th, 2009, 10:25 am

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#24 Post by Gray G » February 24th, 2019, 7:55 am

none
my friends call me Gary, so much time, so little wine, Albanista, K Vinters rocks! MCK, Cattle King, love Gri3v3 Family wines Double Eagle baby! flavors please, non-religious freedom :) egalitarian, non-socialist, non-ITB, paid subscriber of online chat, Going Beserk everyday! "life's not black and white but black and grey"- Graham Greene

User avatar
Ian S
Posts: 272
Joined: January 29th, 2019, 11:51 am

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#25 Post by Ian S » February 24th, 2019, 8:00 am

My favorite Riesling is the bottle that somebody else brings to dinner, i.e. a free one.

A related question: what Pradikatt is Kung Fu Girl?
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

Gerhard P.
Posts: 4844
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#26 Post by Gerhard P. » February 24th, 2019, 8:56 am

Claus Jeppesen wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 4:47 am
And
QBA Trocken
Kabinett Trocken
Spätlese Trocken
Auslese Trocken
I have a few from the good producers and like them all
Yes, and you can have all above also
- halbtrocken
- feinherb
- lieblich
...
YLee wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 5:13 am
I wanted to make this a simple poll without getting too detailed just to see what people usually go for.

If I listed every single type out everyone will say "depends".
Generally there are two (almost) independent questions:

Riesling taste (connected with RSugar)
a) dry
b) off-dry (from slightly to very sweet)

Riesling Prädikat (connected with Alc.)
1. QbA
2. Kabinett
3. Spätlese
4. Auslese

... AND there are also Austrian and Alsacian Rieslings [cheers.gif]
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33175
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#27 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 24th, 2019, 9:08 am

Ian S wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 8:00 am
A related question: what Pradikatt is Kung Fu Girl?
None, as it is not German.

(And not all that good either...)
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

matthias h
Posts: 9
Joined: March 8th, 2017, 11:14 pm

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#28 Post by matthias h » February 24th, 2019, 9:32 am

although the expert posters are right and the poll has some flaws - i kinda like it.

my interpretation would be that "trocken" covers any of the above prädikats (or without, as common nowadays) and hence the prädikats are the sweet versions.

i prefer the trockens, although i bought a helluvalot kabinett and spats from 2017 - my guess (hope?) is that they some day take the place of the 2001 as concentrated, aromatically rich, pure and elegant sweet rieslings. they are so tasty today...

m.
matthias homann

johngonzales
Posts: 7602
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Location: City of Angels

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#29 Post by johngonzales » February 24th, 2019, 9:43 am

If I had a nice collection of well-aged spatlese and also found it reasonably at restaurants, that would be my choice. But Kabinett is much more available at its appropriate younger age so that’s my vote.

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16816
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#30 Post by Howard Cooper » February 24th, 2019, 9:55 am

Otto Forsberg wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 5:21 am
Gerhard P. wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 12:37 am
Not a good poll.

A Kabinett, Spätlese, Auslese ... all can be "trocken" (dry) or off-dry ...
AND when off-dry the residual sugar can vary a great deal ... from slightly off-dry to quite sweet ...

Trocken is a designation of (very low) RS in the finished wine, while Kabinett, Spätlese, Auslese are Prädikate, indicating the ripeness (and potential alcohol) at harvest time ...
Seconded. I just looked at the options and thought that this makes no sense.

Not to mention that one can pick only one option! [cheers.gif]
I am really impressed by you guys. I am sure you guys could come up with 100 different categories if you really try. How about Spatlese Trocken from Rieslaner from the Pfalz? Keep working.

Really, the poll is pretty well designed to get to its purpose. Do you favor trocken wines, more traditionally made table wines (I actually would have combined Kabinett and Spatlese into one category) or sweeter German wines. The type of poll so many of you seem to favor would be so disaggregated that nobody would get anything useful from the results. Right now it is clear that about 67% of the people who responded like more traditionally made German table wines, 7% of the responders like sweeter wines the best and the rest like trocken. Pretty interesting and clear results.

Congratulations on showing off. I do highly encourage you guys to come up with a separate poll with all your many different categories (and please include Rieslings from Australia and Washington State, for example) and then after a couple of days summarize the meaningful results from the poll in one or two easy to understand sentences like I did above.
Last edited by Howard Cooper on February 24th, 2019, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Jim Brennan
Posts: 4554
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 6:10 pm
Location: People's Republic of Illinois

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#31 Post by Jim Brennan » February 24th, 2019, 10:04 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 9:08 am
Ian S wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 8:00 am
A related question: what Pradikatt is Kung Fu Girl?
None, as it is not German.

(And not all that good either...)
Ian, only German wines use that system. You could be asking where they would fall in that system, but it doesn't really work that way, since the German system has origin requirements (and obviously a US wine wouldn't meet that). If you had technical details about the wine you could determine the relative sweetness (e.g. - comparable to a Spatlese), but that's about it.

https://winefolly.com/review/understand ... the-label/

User avatar
Claus Jeppesen
Posts: 1723
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 2:42 am

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#32 Post by Claus Jeppesen » February 24th, 2019, 10:22 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 9:55 am
Otto Forsberg wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 5:21 am
Gerhard P. wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 12:37 am
Not a good poll.

A Kabinett, Spätlese, Auslese ... all can be "trocken" (dry) or off-dry ...
AND when off-dry the residual sugar can vary a great deal ... from slightly off-dry to quite sweet ...

Trocken is a designation of (very low) RS in the finished wine, while Kabinett, Spätlese, Auslese are Prädikate, indicating the ripeness (and potential alcohol) at harvest time ...
Seconded. I just looked at the options and thought that this makes no sense.

Not to mention that one can pick only one option! [cheers.gif]
I am really impressed by you guys. I am sure you guys could come up with 100 different categories if you really try. How about Spatlese Trocken from Rieslaner from the Pfalz? Keep working.

Really, the poll is pretty well designed to get to its purpose. Do you favor trocken wines, more traditionally made table wines (I actually would have combined Kabinett and Spatlese into one category) or sweeter German wines. The type of poll so many of you seem to favor would be so disaggregated that nobody would get anything useful from the results. Right now it is clear that about 67% of the people who responded like more traditionally made German table wines, 7% of the responders like sweeter wines the best and the rest like trocken. Pretty interesting and clear results.

Congratulations on showing off. I do highly encourage you guys to come up with a separate poll with all your many different categories (and please include Rieslings from Australia and Washington State, for example) and then after a couple of days summarize the meaningful results from the poll in one or two easy to understand sentences like I did above.
[scratch.gif]
Nobody are showing off. Relax
Trocken is also traditional
Claus

Riesling and Slate

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16816
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#33 Post by Howard Cooper » February 24th, 2019, 10:22 am

Claus Jeppesen wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 10:22 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 9:55 am
Otto Forsberg wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 5:21 am


Seconded. I just looked at the options and thought that this makes no sense.

Not to mention that one can pick only one option! [cheers.gif]
I am really impressed by you guys. I am sure you guys could come up with 100 different categories if you really try. How about Spatlese Trocken from Rieslaner from the Pfalz? Keep working.

Really, the poll is pretty well designed to get to its purpose. Do you favor trocken wines, more traditionally made table wines (I actually would have combined Kabinett and Spatlese into one category) or sweeter German wines. The type of poll so many of you seem to favor would be so disaggregated that nobody would get anything useful from the results. Right now it is clear that about 67% of the people who responded like more traditionally made German table wines, 7% of the responders like sweeter wines the best and the rest like trocken. Pretty interesting and clear results.

Congratulations on showing off. I do highly encourage you guys to come up with a separate poll with all your many different categories (and please include Rieslings from Australia and Washington State, for example) and then after a couple of days summarize the meaningful results from the poll in one or two easy to understand sentences like I did above.
[scratch.gif]
Nobody are showing off. Relax
Trocken is also traditional
You really are having a hard time seeing the forest for the trees, aren't you? THIS IS A POLL. The purpose of a poll is to provide information to the pollster, not to show how much he knows about the subject. What information are you trying to get at that is not in the poll as it currently exists?
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Gerhard P.
Posts: 4844
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#34 Post by Gerhard P. » February 24th, 2019, 10:29 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 9:55 am

Really, the poll is pretty well designed to get to its purpose. ....

... Pretty interesting and clear results.
Rarely have seen less clear results ... but that needs a deeper understanding of German Prädikat system ...

(not all trocken is traditional, not all Spätlese are sweet or even off-dry etc.) [oops.gif]
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

User avatar
Claus Jeppesen
Posts: 1723
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 2:42 am

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#35 Post by Claus Jeppesen » February 24th, 2019, 10:32 am

You really are having a hard time seeing the forest for the trees, aren't you? THIS IS A POLL. The purpose of a poll is to provide information to the pollster, not to show how much he knows about the subject. What information are you trying to get at that is not in the poll as it currently exists?
[scratch.gif]
I do not disagree. THIS IS A POLL
And I am happy that I can learn something about German Riesling in this poll.
I hope that Gerhard and Otto keep posting valuable info
Again: nobody are showing off
Last edited by Claus Jeppesen on February 24th, 2019, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claus

Riesling and Slate

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16816
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#36 Post by Howard Cooper » February 24th, 2019, 11:08 am

Gerhard P. wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 10:29 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 9:55 am

Really, the poll is pretty well designed to get to its purpose. ....

... Pretty interesting and clear results.
Rarely have seen less clear results ... but that needs a deeper understanding of German Prädikat system ...

(not all trocken is traditional, not all Spätlese are sweet or even off-dry etc.) [oops.gif]
So, do your own poll!!! Let us see your genius.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16021
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#37 Post by David K o l i n » February 24th, 2019, 11:09 am

Gerhard P. wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 10:29 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 9:55 am

Really, the poll is pretty well designed to get to its purpose. ....

... Pretty interesting and clear results.
Rarely have seen less clear results ... but that needs a deeper understanding of German Prädikat system ...

(not all trocken is traditional, not all Spätlese are sweet or even off-dry etc.) [oops.gif]
All true. I still prefer older Spatlesen

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33175
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#38 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 24th, 2019, 11:14 am

Relax Howard. North Carolina won their game yesterday. ;)
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

matthias h
Posts: 9
Joined: March 8th, 2017, 11:14 pm

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#39 Post by matthias h » February 24th, 2019, 12:00 pm

to elaborate a liitle more on the topic (and I am german), the poll pretty much reflects my buying and drinking habits:

I LOVE the sweet ones (kab, spat, ausl) but I DRINK the trockens...

I actually think, that the sweet riesling kabinetts (esp. from mosel, saar, ruwer), and a little less so the spats, have the worlds best QPR (at least here in germany) when flavour, lightness, elegance, "tastyness" is considered.

m.
matthias homann

Eric Sch
Posts: 275
Joined: January 9th, 2013, 10:32 pm
Location: Portlandia

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#40 Post by Eric Sch » February 24th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Generally I like trocken younger and Auslese and BA older. But I'm an equal opportunity tippler and buy across the pradikats.
"Cristal's out schoolboy... make it a magnum of Grande Dame and I'll think about it."

Joongul Lee
Posts: 23
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 1:50 am

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#41 Post by Joongul Lee » February 24th, 2019, 1:31 pm

My understanding is that the poll is consistent with current VDP Mosel designation, so at least some officials think this system makes sense.

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33175
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#42 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 24th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Joongul Lee wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 1:31 pm
My understanding is that the poll is consistent with current VDP Mosel designation, so at least some officials think this system makes sense.
The poll technically does make sense. It just oversimplifies things.

Of course German wine has been accused of being too complicated, so...
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Gerhard P.
Posts: 4844
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#43 Post by Gerhard P. » February 24th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Joongul Lee wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 1:31 pm
My understanding is that the poll is consistent with current VDP Mosel designation, so at least some officials think this system makes sense.
No, "trocken" is no WINE, it´s a designation for low residual sugar!
matthias h wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 12:00 pm
to elaborate a liitle more on the topic (and I am german), the poll pretty much reflects my buying and drinking habits:

I LOVE the sweet ones (kab, spat, ausl) but I DRINK the trockens...

....
The problem is: there seems to be a general misunderstanding about some German terms and designations (even among Germans)!

"trocken" means DRY - nothing else ... a wine with low residual sugar below a certain limit (max. 9 gr. with apropriate acidity) ...
a Kabinett can be dry, a Spätlese or an Auslese, all can be dry ... so these are no contrasts to chose from ...

"I prefer a trocken to a Spätlese" is nonsense ...

Would anybody say: "I prefer a Bordeaux to a Pauillac" ? [scratch.gif]
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

YLee
Posts: 1273
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#44 Post by YLee » February 24th, 2019, 2:48 pm

^I don't agree with your analogy.

Gerhard, I think you are taking this poll way too seriously. It's meant to be simplest form possible. Just to get an idea what people like.
I'm afraid to even start a poll about favorite colors. [dance-clap.gif]
-¥ 0 ñ 9

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33175
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#45 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 24th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Blue! No yellow! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Ron Erickson
Posts: 4743
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#46 Post by Ron Erickson » February 24th, 2019, 3:37 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 11:14 am
Relax Howard. North Carolina won their game yesterday. ;)
As long as Dukies are banned from buying Riesling, life is good.

[stirthepothal.gif]

User avatar
P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1503
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 2:14 pm
Location: El Cerrito CA

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#47 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » February 24th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Ian S wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 8:00 am
My favorite Riesling is the bottle that somebody else brings to dinner, i.e. a free one.

A related question: what Pradikatt is Kung Fu Girl?
White belt.
Cheers,
Paul

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1614
Joined: January 24th, 2014, 11:07 pm

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#48 Post by R. Frankel » February 24th, 2019, 3:50 pm

I consume more trocken (including GGs) German Riesling than other types. Mostly because I find those drier flavor profiles tend to match the kinds of food I want to match with white wine. But I really like the kabinett, spatlese, and ausleses as well.

As I’ve been digging into these wines more deeply and trying more of them, I’m finding the kab/spat level wines going nicely with more food. Or more simply, I’m learning to love them all! The very sweet ones also get in the mix nicely, but I have fewer occasions for them.
Rich Frankel

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16816
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#49 Post by Howard Cooper » February 24th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Ron Erickson wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 3:37 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 11:14 am
Relax Howard. North Carolina won their game yesterday. ;)
As long as Dukies are banned from buying Riesling, life is good.

[stirthepothal.gif]
Now we are onto something important!!!!!!!
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33175
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

#50 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 24th, 2019, 4:28 pm

As long as Dukies are banned, from Riesling or anything else.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”