Common Winery and Vineyard Names with Various Pronunciations & Mispronunciations !!!

I have thought for awhile this would be a fun thread to start. I talk to people all the time that are convinced they are pronouncing the name correctly. Sometimes I have to stop and realize that I really don’t know how it should be pronounced.

So below are a few that I think different people might pronounce differently, and my attempt at what I believe is the correct pronunciation:

Tychson Hill (Tick-son hill)
Eisele (Eyes-lee)
Viader (Vee-ah-dare) ← Roy piper put me on this one
Blankiet (Blon-kee-ay)

I’m not sure if the above are correct, but feel free to add your own!

Sangiacomo = san-jock-o-mo

I think.

Chateau St. Jean - pronounced as “gene”, not as if it’s French.

Quilceda Creek?
Qupe?

My French friends would like you to know I could use help with pretty much every village, producer and vineyard in Burgundy. blush

Not an expert, but this is how I pronounce those:

Quill-see-duh

Coo-pay

Those are both correct.

Another one is Dehlinger. Pronounced DAY-ling-ger, with a hard g sound in the last syllable like “Linger”

Kutch is pronounced like it looks, rhymes with Dutch.

I still don’t know if there is certainty about how to pronounce Domaine Huet. Is it a hard T or not?

Taittinger - Taught-teen-jay vs Tay-tin-jurr
Maybach - My-bock vs May-back
Rothschild - Roth-shield vs Roth’s-child
Moët - Mow-ett vs Mow-ay
Leroy - Lay-wah vs Leeeerroyyy

Not certain about Huet. I give it a hard T.

Moët is a Dutch name, pretty sure that ends in a hard T.

I’ve most often heard the first syllable of Taittinger pronounced like tat in tattoo but should it be like the “te” in tell? And does the first or last syllable get the emphasis?
Teh-tah-zhay?
Teh-tah-zhay?

Maybach the car starts with my, and bach has an “ah” in it. Same family.

No idea about Leroy, but if it had shown up at that aged wine and steak dinner at APL, it would’ve been the baddest wine in the whole damn town.

My brain started to hurt

There is typically no syllable accent in French words and names. Just say each syllable equally.

I agree on all but, Rothschild. You can see a family member and several employees of their Asset Management wing pronouncing it here: Rothschild & Co – Our people - YouTube

Here Mr. Suckling (pronounced “arrogant suck-up”): Château Mouton Rothschild Tasting - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2009 - YouTube

That appears to be the British English pronounciation of Rothschild. Not sure I can go with it when the British don’t even pronounce “aluminum” correctly. :wink:

But then again, I’m far from French.

Ita aluminium not aluminum so the they do pronounce it correctly

To Kalon: Toe Cologne - makes me laugh every time.

Is the first syllable of Kalon pronounced as coe or kah?
Either way, you’ve ruined me. I’ll never be able to say it again with a straight face.

Is Eyrie pronounced ee-ree or eye-ree?

Grenouilles–gru-new-eey but I’m sure there are other opinions.

Charmes: sharm, not sharmes